GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

sunroof switch light, illuminated sunroof switch, mk5 sunroof switch in a mk6

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
It sucks the markings for the sunroof positions don't light up. Do they light up in other models (that might fit ours)?

I'd really like to have it so the markings light up as well as the mk6 knobs (I don't really like the mk5 knob).

Thanks for the DIY though! Nice, informative and lots of pictures :)

What like this

Sorry about the crappy photos

Last edited:

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
So how'd you do it???

I replaced the light panel and kept the MK6 sunroof switch.

The light panel only came in the 2006 gti vehicals,only down side to this is that the center trim piece is charcoal gray and no other color is available for that model year.It looks pretty close to black but you can tell the differents in color.You can use your black trim that you remove first.

This looks alot better then just the knob replacement.

lol.. running out of modding ideas i see.. does the oem switch bother you people that much??? try having a white fukin interior on a black car with half of it being black... yea. :paddle::mad0259::mad0259::mad0259: i dont get it why the gti gets the roof black and the golf gets it some retarded beige color... i wish i was in europe and i would have changed it to suede.. too bad we got airbags everywhere. damn NA safety..

icee

Ready to race!
2) The click points on the older switch do not match the newer one. This means that every 3 clicks on the older switch equals one click on the newer one. Hardly any practical implication for every day use unless you have OCD.

Does this mean you get two clicks that don't adjust the roof at all? Or does the glass move in finer gradations?

eman006

I replaced the light panel and kept the MK6 sunroof switch.

The light panel only came in the 2006 gti vehicals,only down side to this is that the center trim piece is charcoal gray and no other color is available for that model year.It looks pretty close to black but you can tell the differents in color.You can use your black trim that you remove first.

This looks alot better then just the knob replacement.

Gti For Me,
First off, thanks for sharing.
So the light panel seems to be in 2 parts that are attached - the actual black panel / trim that we see when installed and then the white plastic "harness" that has all the circuit boards and bulbs attached to the black panel / trim. Did you actually detach the white harness from the old 2006 light panel and attach to your current panel? Just thinking that if the white harness has all the lights and wires, then the LEDs that light up the sunroof pictures on the black panel / trim would be mounted on there also. If you did not do this, did you check to see if it would work? Also, are the sunroof symbols / dots on the newer panel opaque or painted on? If the latter, then switching the white harnesses would be moot.
Thanks. :thumbup:

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
That looks pretty cool! Can you get us some clearer pics?
I tried but my camera is a piece of shit

Gti For Me,
First off, thanks for sharing.
So the light panel seems to be in 2 parts that are attached - the actual black panel / trim that we see when installed and then the white plastic "harness" that has all the circuit boards and bulbs attached to the black panel / trim. Did you actually detach the white harness from the old 2006 light panel and attach to your current panel? Just thinking that if the white harness has all the lights and wires, then the LEDs that light up the sunroof pictures on the black panel / trim would be mounted on there also. If you did not do this, did you check to see if it would work? Also, are the sunroof symbols / dots on the newer panel opaque or painted on? If the latter, then switching the white harnesses would be moot.
Thanks. :thumbup:
The light panel is a 1 piece design,you can not remove anything.The center trim is a opaque design as our original is painted and will not work I TRIED.If you look at my fat finger you can see that they extended the circuit board with 2 extra led lights.Here a thread on the light panel.http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4231630-Was-sunroof-switch-(not-surround)-ever-illuminated

Last edited:

jbcritch

Go Kart Champion

The light panel is a 1 piece design,you can not remove anything.The center trim is a opaque design as our original is painted and will not work I TRIED.If you look at my fat finger you can see that they extended the circuit board with 2 extra led lights.Here a thread on the light panel.http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4231630-Was-sunroof-switch-(not-surround)-ever-illuminated

We need a DIY for this too! Two great mods to clear up this dang missing part! But :happyanim:

eman006

Thanks!
When you put in the round switch in to the panel, does it function like it did before the change (i.e. each click opens to the proper distance)?
Also, did you try switching the backs of the round switch and the one that came with the 2006 light panel to make the round switch dot light up also?
I asked the same question to TurtleJames in a prior post, but was wondering if you tried.
:w00t:

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
Thanks!
When you put in the round switch in to the panel, does it function like it did before the change (i.e. each click opens to the proper distance)?
Also, did you try switching the backs of the round switch and the one that came with the 2006 light panel to make the round switch dot light up also?
I asked the same question to TurtleJames in a prior post, but was wondering if you tried.
:w00t:

Yes it does open in every position on the dial

No i did not switch the backing on the switch

Markgtd

Can someone please provide details how to remove the mk6 gtd roof panel. The panel with the three buttons.
I, star and spanner symbols? There is not a panel that hinges down, the middle panel removes but leaves the part with the alarm sensors I place and can not see any screws to remove.

skateboy___918

Ready to race!
You can retrofit your own mk6 knob by:

1) Getting a mk5 knob
2) Pop the PCB board off the back of the mk5 knob
3) Put the mk5 PCB board onto the mk6 knob

I have one for sale here: http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59679