GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

California Drivers sign!

Bender1

Banned
But, if everyone in California wrote a letter to their Assemblyman or Senator, they would change the law.

they probably wouldnt. There are HUGE economic benefits to requiring a front plate. If you don't want one, move to a state that doesnt require it.;)

lmlloyd

Ready to race!
they probably wouldnt. There are HUGE economic benefits to requiring a front plate. If you don't want one, move to a state that doesnt require it.;)

Well, they don't actually have a choice. California has binding referendums. If you got enough signatures, they would have to put it on the ballot, and if it won in a general election as a proposition, then it would pass as an amendment to the law. This is part of why California has such weird laws, but there is a long history of laws, like medical marijuana, that law enforcement didn't want to pass, but had no choice.

bryanmn1

Ready to race!

I really don't care if I have a front plate or not. I don't see there being a huge economic benefit. If California had to only issue 1 plate versus 2, they would save money. *cough* Deficit *cough*

Also, if 120 Senators and Assembly received 20 million letters asking to get rid of the front license plate, I'm sure they would do it. That's a lot of paper.

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
Well it just seems strange. Its like Staffordshire not having front plates but Derbyshire do. I know there is a massive difference in size but they are still counties/states with their own powers.

Its like the thread the other day http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10215& asking about Euro plates, as anyone been pulled over.

So if a car is registered in California and they drive into San Francisco can they get done for not have a front plate? ;)

California >> Staffordshire.

Hell, Rhode Island > Staffordshire.

The US is too large, geographically and by number of motorists, for a central bureaucracy to handle DOT issues, outside of interstate highways and federal lands. I say that as a flaming liberal.

And yes, if you are registered in a 2-plate state, and get pulled with 1 plate in said state, you're liable to get a ticket.

I, for one, do not see any practicality to having 2 plates. But maybe I'm just bitter in that I live in a 1-plate state, but have 5 holes in my bumper from acquiring my ride in a 2-plate state.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
And yes, if you are registered in a 2-plate state, and get pulled with 1 plate in said state, you're liable to get a ticket.

I, for one, do not see any practicality to having 2 plates.
Yes it another crazy US thing. The idea behind having 2 plates is you can read the plate if the car is coming toward you (speed cameras/guns). Rather than letting it run you over and trying to catch the plate details as you pop up at the back. :lol:

I would imagine its down to the cops if they have their monthly quota. If they follow a car from Florida they must know it doesn't need a front plate from there. ;)

Bender1

Banned
state law supercedes federal law.

Incorrect. For example, Roe v Wade. That said, there are some things that the federal government ceeds to the states.

I really don't care if I have a front plate or not. I don't see there being a huge economic benefit. If California had to only issue 1 plate versus 2, they would save money. *cough* Deficit *cough*

1) they charge for plates, correct?
2) tickets for everyone that doesn't have a front one, correct?
3) red light cameras work better in two plate states.

Yes, a referendum would work, but an online petition isn't a valid way to get one on the ballot.

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
The idea behind having 2 plates is you can read the plate if the car is coming toward you (speed cameras/guns). Rather than letting it run you over and trying to catch the plate details as you pop up at the back.

Eh, I, for one, am anti speed/red light camera. For variety of reasons, face your accuser, officer discretion, etc.

In both cases, the officer (or robot the uninformed citizenry gave dictatorial powers to) is going to have to catch you out-bound (unless they are psychic.)

I digress, since front plates are really only good for enhanced revenue replacement, and they ruin the clean lines of the MkVI bow, I'm not really a big fan. Got no sympathy for communities or states that cannot adequately raise revenue in an equitable manner.

And lets face it, the front plate isn't about safety, it's about raising revenue.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
And lets face it, the front plate isn't about safety, it's about raising revenue.
Is that something else the US has, how dow they raise revenue with front plates apart from charging for the plate? ;)