GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Spotify, Ipod, & MDI

Staudie

I need a question answered before purchasing equipment. I subscribe to Spotify which allows me to download music for offline listening. I tried this with my android phone and USB MDI cable but no luck :mad0259:. Can this be done with with the apple MDI cable and an Ipod?

Thanks for the help
~Staudie

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
I think it can be done with iphone and MDI cable. I can play youtube and use the MDI as audio output.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
I need a question answered before purchasing equipment. I subscribe to Spotify which allows me to download music for offline listening. I tried this with my android phone and USB MDI cable but no luck :mad0259:. Can this be done with with the apple MDI cable and an Ipod?

Thanks for the help
~Staudie
Spotify will work via Bluetooth...at least on an Android device. The track name will also get displayed and steering wheel controls will work (I have an RNS-315 -- navigation unit).

Spotify music will NOT work via USB cable due to the non-standard formats it plays.

The Canuck

Ready to race!
I stream Spotify via Bluetooth like nuggstein, and I am on an iPhone 5. No issues, and all information is displayed about the song.

Staudie

Spotify will work via Bluetooth...at least on an Android device. The track name will also get displayed and steering wheel controls will work (I have an RNS-315 -- navigation unit).

Spotify music will NOT work via USB cable due to the non-standard formats it plays.

I've been streaming Spotify with my S3 via BT but I do not get any song info or steering wheel control (RNS315).

Last edited:

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I've been streaming Spotify with my S3 via the USB cable but I do not get any song info or steering wheel control (RNS315).

Try it through Bluetooth; you should get control and display (thought eh display only give song/album; it doesn't give you the time count)

Staudie

Try it through Bluetooth; you should get control and display (thought eh display only give song/album; it doesn't give you the time count)

I miss typed that.... What I meant was, I have been using BT to stream (usb cable only for charging). All I get is the word "Bluetooth Audio" on the screen. My radio is hardware version H05 and software version 0011 Im not sure if that makes a difference.

boriskov

My girlfriend has an s4 and gets no metadata transferred to the screen when using Spotify over Bluetooth. My HTC One works no problems.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

rjohnson5481

Ready to race!
I used the MDI in mine with spotify and it worked just fine info was displayed and all.

Staudie

I used the MDI in mine with spotify and it worked just fine info was displayed and all.

Well I went ahead and purchased an Ipod touch Gen 4 to use with Spotify premium (mainly downloaded playlists) and the MDI cable. The sound is great.. much better than BT. Both the track skip and medidata kind of work. The steering wheel track skip works as a fast forward. When the gauge cluster display is set to audio the down button will skip tracks if pressed twice. Medidata is not updated when the song changes but will update if I hit the fast forward button twice. Not my ideal setup but at least I can skip tracks (kind of).

Forgot to mention that I also did the MDI firmware update (0150) from my-gti.com

Last edited:

jhunter72

Bluetooth Audio is vastly INFERIOR to the MIDI interface, which uses a direct digital connection to send the audio (digitally) from the phone to the car stereo. The car stereo then decodes the digital and produces the sound.
In my experience the Bluetooth Audio sounds similar to FM radio, plus it doesn't cover the entire frequency range. I have songs in my collection in which parts of the audio doesn't even play using Bluetooth.
Therefore, please stop telling people that Bluetooth audio "is the same" because it most certainly isn't.

jhunter72

Thanks for the help
~Staudie
I have Google Music Unlimited (similar to Spotify) with my iPhone 5s and use the MIDI interface. It sounds GREAT (MUCH better than the crappy Bluetooth Audio) and the car stereo displays music track information. The controls can be a bit testy, but I use the phone to switch songs anyway.

The main point is the Audio quality, its incredible using MIDI.