GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Gun Thread

Fingolfin

Ready to race!
Summer is right around the corner and I am thinking of picking up a slim frame 9mm to carry during these hotter months.

First one on the list is S&W Shield9, then comes G43, maybe a Walther PPS? Not a fan of the XD series, but I'm not ruling it out just yet.

I shot a Shield40 and I was surprised at how smooth it was for such a small gun shooting a 40. That got me looking into the Shield, the ergonomics are spot on too, feels great in the hands and the texture is nice (rubbery).

Anybody got any input or suggestions for any other slim frame 9mm's?

I would probably go with the Shield or Glock, but Beretta, Kahr, and Sig offer some popular Micro 9s. I would go with whatever is the most reliable. To me in a gun like that all other considerations are secondary. That's why i prefer a J-frame.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
Stop listening to what people say and go shoot them and you pick what you like the most

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Just bumping the thread for some conversation. Sharing opinions.

I'm pretty much set on the shield9. It's nice to hear what people have to say.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
My take on it is that the gun one practices with the most will be the most effective. So starting out, I suggest picking the one that feels the best in your hand. Why? Because if you don't like the way it feels in your hand, chances are you won't practice with it. If you don't practice with it, it's kind of pointless to own it.

TSI_Guy

Go Kart Champion
^ right

The shield really fills the hands well. I like the bump they have on the back, also the texture of the frame. Lots of complaints about the trigger from some quick reviews I looked up, I didn't notice anything bad about it when I shot it :iono:

dasauto0108

Go Kart Champion
My take on it is that the gun one practices with the most will be the most effective. So starting out, I suggest picking the one that feels the best in your hand. Why? Because if you don't like the way it feels in your hand, chances are you won't practice with it. If you don't practice with it, it's kind of pointless to own it.

^^ nailed it

Sent from an old motorbike

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
Quick AR15 noob question...

cheaper to buy a completed lower completed upper than to just buy them together?

The main thing about buying a completed upper and lower then slapping them together is that you can get what you want up front. Compare this to buying a completed rifle and removing perfectly functioning parts to replace with your own aftermarket parts to get what you want in a rifle.

As an example, my uncle purchased a Colt AR-15 with the Magpul MOE stuff on it. I hate the Magpul MOE stuff, and he paid a premium for that rifle. If it were me, I would have opted for a plain Jane Colt then added my accessories to it after the fact.

As for cheaper, it depends. Generally, you have to shop around because it is easy to overpay either way.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
Quick AR15 noob question...

cheaper to buy a completed lower completed upper than to just buy them together?

I have a cheap Lower for sale at the moment, Aero P Lower, PSA LPK, UTG A2Stock, just add trigger and bam you have a complete lower (was going to add a drop in trigger), but now changing direction...

PM if you interested looking for $175 shipped to FFL, really cant beat that! (unless you live in a nazi state)

Cheapest/best bang for the buck quality wise route to get into the AR-15 game is build from the ground up, however, id just build a lower and slap on a complete upper with some of the deals PSA has around the 4th of July and you have yourself a cheap AR-15 thats somewhat decent!

with my lower and sales coming this summer from multiple vendors id imagine you can get a built AR-15 for around 500 bucks!

Fingolfin

Ready to race!

Absolutely. To add to that, if you have a mouse gun for CCW you should shoot it like your life depends on it. I have seen some of the little guns run 100% when you are in a nice supported weaver stance or whatever shooting paper at the range, but would jam with a one handed or other less than textbook grip or position. Some of the designs are running a bit close to operational limits(short travel and too high spring rate, why i hate officer size 1911s btw).

Make sure it will run, period! Two handed, one handed, with plenty of lube, with a little lube, up, down, left, right! And with your defense ammo, not cheap FMJs.

Thumper

Autocross Champion
Make sure it will run, period! Two handed, one handed, with plenty of lube, with a little lube, up, down, left, right! And with your defense ammo, not cheap FMJs.

Not only will it run with a defense round, but it makes a vast difference in recoil which means a vast difference in accuracy.

Plinking away with 115gr FMJ is cheap and fine, but if you are carrying that pistol with 147gr P+.......well, it's going to be a different gun entirely.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
word, thanks for the good information.

now im also on the fence between ak and ar :laugh:

wow i totally forgot about any possible 4th of july sales coming up.

from what ive seen to completely build an ar from the ground up you need some special tools/vice etc.

I would check PrimaryArms.com and Palemttoa State.com for holiday sales, usually always have something going on and usually 1-2 great deals.

You dont really need any special tools, however, they make a job a lot easier for sure for me i have an AR-15 mag vise block, a vise, some good punches and specifically a bolt catch punch (flat on one side)....Ive put together so many lowers i can knock them out very quick these days (Actually learned through an awesome video series provided by ITS Tactical-Youtube and not ashamed to admit that)

I suggest an AR first, if it was about 3-5 years ago id say get a cheap AK (wasar or something for 300 bucks, but those days are over)....and any AK worth a dime is going to cost you some money, IMO (or at least for me and what i look for in firearms)

Like i said got a nice lower for sale ;)

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
I built my AR totally by myself without any special tools. The biggest bitch would be assembling the BCG but I bought a complete BCG from Crytic Coatings. It really is stupid easy to build an AR. I didn't even need any punches.

The Waxer

Go Kart Champion
I built my AR totally by myself without any special tools. The biggest bitch would be assembling the BCG but I bought a complete BCG from Crytic Coatings. It really is stupid easy to build an AR. I didn't even need any punches.

Built, or assembled the upper to the lower?

I've bought a few stripped uppers and barrels, gas tubes, etc. and building an upper takes some tools. Especially if you are installing a free-float railed hand guard. There are tools you need to have and a vise block. Getting the rail on the hand guard perfectly straight is not easy without an alignment tool like this one: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...sku080000368-22389-48393.aspx?sku=080-000-368

ARs are simple to assemble, including installing the LPK, but when you start building uppers you do need tools other than the very basics of a hammer, punches and pliers.

ChrisB1

Go Kart Champion
I re-barreled one of my uppers and getting those reverse taper pins out of the front sight base to pull the gas tube was a royal pain. For a while, I thought I was hammering them the wrong way, only to realize that I needed to beat the hell out of them to get them to move.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Built, or assembled the upper to the lower?

I've bought a few stripped uppers and barrels, gas tubes, etc. and building an upper takes some tools. Especially if you are installing a free-float railed hand guard. There are tools you need to have and a vise block. Getting the rail on the hand guard perfectly straight is not easy without an alignment tool like this one: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...sku080000368-22389-48393.aspx?sku=080-000-368

ARs are simple to assemble, including installing the LPK, but when you start building uppers you do need tools other than the very basics of a hammer, punches and pliers.

I bought a stripped upper and lower receiver and assembled both...The only special tool I needed was an upper vice block. I have an OdinWorks free floating keymod handgaurd and it came with an alighment pin.

greasyginzo

Go Kart Champion
Some free floating handgaurds are just stupidly designed...I didn't care for the Odinworks barrel nut but it was super easy to install and much better than some others I have seen.

Edit: Make sure you use the DPMS upper vice block. I have heard of people breaking their uppers using other blocks that don't extend up into the charging handle void

Last edited: