GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: Which Exhaust do I need?

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
I know this is often a confusing question so I've broken it down. I'm sure you've all heard many different exhaust system package terms thrown out there.

Full Exhaust, Turboback, TBE, Catback, CBE, DP, Downpipe, DPE, Midpipe, Catpipe, Testpipe, Muffler, Tips, or just Exhaust.

So what do you need? What do you want? What is the difference between all this?

First off, check out our new exhaust page. I've created a diagram that allows you to switch between the Turboback Exhaust, Catback Exhaust, Downpipe Exhaust, and Midpipe Only.

APR MK6 Exhaust Page

Here is a full overview of our Exhaust System:

Lets say you want the full exhaust. The full exhaust will completely replace the stock exhaust. The stock exhaust is connected to your turbocharger and runs all the way out the back of the car. This setup will get you the most power possible.

This is called a Turboback Exhaust as it goes from the turbo all the way back. It's also called a Full Exhaust. Some call it TBE, TB Exhaust or FE when they abbreviate.

With the Turboback Exhaust you will able to run APR Stage II software.

Turboback Exhaust

Lets say you only want an increase in sound and only a little power. Lets also say you have very strict emissions in your area and don't want to replace the catalytic converter at all.

In this case you'll want the Catback Exhaust. The Catback exhaust goes from the Catalytic converter piping all the way to the back of the car. It does not include the catalytic converter, it's from the catalytic converter piping back (just as the turboback doesn't include the turbo). The Catback exhaust is also called a CBE or CB Exhaust for short. Some may even call it the Exhaust Tips, Muffler and Resonator sections.

If you are wondering how this will fit up to your existing stock downpipe, which is a smaller size than the APR catback exhaust, don't worry, we include a converter pipe that will run from the factory size piping up to the APR size piping.

With only the Catback Exhaust you cannot run APR stage II software. You may only run APR stage I software.

Catback Exhaust

Lets say you only want a small increase in sound and a nice increase in power. In this case you'll want the Downpipe Exhaust. The Downpipe exhaust removes the really restrictive stock catalytic converters and replaces them with a high flow 200 cell count metal catalytic converter. With less restriction you will be able to safely run the APR stage II software for even more power.

The Downpipe is technically only the pipe that comes down off the turbo and connects to the midpipe or catpipe however this package is generalized as the downpipe exhaust system. The downpipe is larger than the factory cutback section. If you purchase this option, we include a reducer to go from the larger APR downpipe exhaust to the factory cutback exhaust.

The Downpipe Exhaust is also called the Downpipe, DP, DPE, DP Exhaust, or Downpipe with cats or Downpipe with Catalytic converter.

Downpipe Exhaust

Finally we come to the last option. This option is ONLY for people who have purchased an APR Stage III and do not have an APR exhaust. The APR Stage III kit has a different turbocharger and includes some exhaust components. It essentially includes a downpipe, but the downpipe stops at the catalytic converter or midpipe/catpipe section.

So if you have an APR Stage III kit and no downpipe, you'll want the Midpipe Exhaust. This is called a Midpipe or Catpipe.

Midpipe Only

I hope that helps clear everything up! If you're looking for a performance exhaust, we have an excellent setup for all of your needs.

Thank you!

ThunderPig

Ready to race!
So I want to go for the downpipe exhaust and you says it removes the "stock catalytic converters", implying 2, and replacing with 1 "high flow 200 cell count metal catalytic converter". Does this cause any malfunction codes to appear? Will it still pass emissions testing? I don't have any, just wondering. Is the stage 2 flash used to disable something to stop the error code? Does the flash increase power or just stop errors? What happens if I install the downpipe exhaust but don't get the flash?

What kind of power gain is claimed? Is it top end, low end or all over? I looking of street power, not racing power.

Yes a lot of questions but I'm still learning the new stuff. Last car to tinker with was a 83 GTI and things have changed a little.

I'll be at headquarters tomorrow to get stage one flash, unless the snow stops me!

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
So I want to go for the downpipe exhaust and you says it removes the "stock catalytic converters", implying 2, and replacing with 1 "high flow 200 cell count metal catalytic converter".

Correct. :)

Does this cause any malfunction codes to appear?

With out some sort of spacer, it will probably throw a CEL for catalyst inefficiency. No aftermarket exhaust on the market can simply go on w/o spacers and not throw CEL's for this. The system is VERY sensitive. If you don't get one right away, you will eventually.

Stage II software recalibrates the system so the CEL does not come on.

Will it still pass emissions testing?

Depends on your local Emission laws. I had no problems in PA.

Is the stage 2 flash used to disable something to stop the error code? Does the flash increase power or just stop errors?

Both. CEL Free and More Power. :)

What happens if I install the downpipe exhaust but don't get the flash?

Not much. If you have no performance software, an exhaust, intake, or any other bolt on will result in squat. The ECU will do everything in it's power to limit load to the factory specification. Maybe you'll see a little at boost onset and maybe a little up top but really, hardly anything.

What kind of power gain is claimed? Is it top end, low end or all over? I looking of street power, not racing power.

Our MK5 testing showed power gains at EVERY RPM. We are currently testing each modification on the MK6 so I have accurate data to share with you. Probably see it next week.

I'll be at headquarters tomorrow to get stage one flash, unless the snow stops me!

You're gunna love it! Thanks for buying it! :)

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
do you know what size the stock exhaust is? and would i be able to use the APR downpipe and catback from a diff company?

subacpw

Ready to race!
oo man. i love the idea of running only the DP and being able to use stg2. i want my car to remain quiet. but i would still love the extra power. that is of course assuming stage 1 isnt enough for me.

an aside for ThungerPig since im a student at AU i get AUalerts basically weve been told 90% chance of 3-5" of snow tonight/tom morn campus is closed so watch out if you make the drive.

MrClean

Go Kart Champion
Arin, I like the photo figures describing all the components!

Who knew there were so many names for all those pieces? :D

I'd like to know HP/TQ figures behind the components.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Dyno testing will continue this week. I'll let everyone know when it's all finished.

New Testing from this same car:

Stock
Stock + Intake
APR Stage I (Old Calibration)
APR Stage I (New Beta Calibration) <--- you guys are gunnna love it!
APR Stage I + Intake

----

Testing Coming Up:

APR Stage II (Old Calibration) with Full Exhaust
APR Stage II (New Beta Calibration) with Full Exhaust
APR Stage II (New Beta Calibration) with Full Exhaust and Intake

And More Testing To Come:

APR Stage III (Current Production File) With Intercooler, Full Exhaust and Intake
APR Stage III (New Beta Calibration) With Intercooler, Full Exhaust and Intake

So, yeah, just dropped a hint about new beta files. More Details to come. No one will be unhappy with these changes. :p

Carbon6

So if I just want to get a stage 1 chip and an intake, what exhaust would i need? Would I need any other mods to go with the other 3 to prevent any damage?

MkVi_Ian

Ready to race!
whats the new beta calibration?? did that come with the 2010 stage 1 ecu upgrade??

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
After about 2 years of working with Stage III on the TSI engine our engineers have learned a lot about the Engine and the Engine Management. The engineers have applied some of the stuff they've learned from Stage III to the TSI Stage I and II calibrations and have come up with even smoother and more powerful results. I'm anticipating a full rollout upgrade to our software suite once more testing is preformed. :)

ThunderPig

Ready to race!
When these new Beta tunes go out will everyone who just got the current tune get emailed, notified that the new tunes are out? I take it that it would be a free update right?

I guess then I would have to come back and get flashed though the port instead of removing the ecu right?

Is it enough of a change to be noticed?

Can I come if it's not snowing like last time?:lol:

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
We don't send out emails to everyone but I do announce it on the forums.

From all the dyno testing I've seen, I'm very impressed. The engineers have tested a lot tuning stage III and have applied many of the new strategies to our stage I and II files. They also spent a bit of time working with maps you'll typically see while cruising on the highway. They made several optimizations to increase fuel mileage.

Over all more power, better cruising MPG's and a bit smoother in some areas. I'm very pleased with the results and I think you will too.

Best Part FREE.

Second Best Part If you have Stage I or II now, no need to pull the ECU, it's all right though the OBDII port!

ThunderPig, You should head up to the shop when we announce it. Take a tour. :)

ThunderPig

Ready to race!
I was up there during the snowstorm! I was probably in the lobby when you took the snow picture of the building for the home page. I saw you while Chris was giving me the mini tour of the shop. You were rushing out probably to get involved in the snowball fight with the boss!

I will come back up as your still the closest place. Any idea how long till it is released? No hurry as the longer I wait the more likely I am to get the downpipe.

I more question, can I get the stage 2 ecu load without the downpipe so I can save myself a trip after I get the downpipe? Or will the car not like run correctly without the pipe?

Last edited: