GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Pro-Tune vrs Unitronic Stage 2 -- DYNO

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah i would go talk to the local shops and see which one you like. Tell them the situation your after and see how they address it.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
No OTS yet for BT but there is always a Pro-tune option

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Has there been any additions to the Pro-tuner list?

FriggenT1

Banned
He actually went back to unitronic

Lol, why did he decide to do that?
Also, I question a validity of the original numbers, not that either are false, but an AWD mustang dyno is supposed to be a very low reading dyno...making even the Uni numbers would seem difficult when FBO Evo 8 and 9s are making 330/330 on similar dynos. A stage 2 with an ihi is just not going to make that imo.

Now, uni, apr, giac, etc, etc are all OTS tunes and made to be as safe as possible, while trying to add as much power as possible as well. However, the difficult part is what most BT guys will even tell you, that big power and usable power are 2 different things. If you're roasting tires through 1-3 gears, that's not helping you be able to put this down. Uni and other tuners know this. Also, I like Alex, he seems a very stand up guy, so I'm not questioning his knowledge or tuning ability. I have actually gotten advice from him on several occasions. My point is that if you take a look at 1/4 numbers...the top is still GIAC and some APR tunes, and even though other dynos are showing more gains...why aren't more custom tunes running better numbers? UM just ran an A3 11.6@117 with their TSI k04 file. I just don't see the custom tunes doing that.

It's very possible that I'm missing something here though.

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Lol, why did he decide to do that?
Also, I question a validity of the original numbers, not that either are false, but an AWD mustang dyno is supposed to be a very low reading dyno...making even the Uni numbers would seem difficult when FBO Evo 8 and 9s are making 330/330 on similar dynos. A stage 2 with an ihi is just not going to make that imo.

Now, uni, apr, giac, etc, etc are all OTS tunes and made to be as safe as possible, while trying to add as much power as possible as well. However, the difficult part is what most BT guys will even tell you, that big power and usable power are 2 different things. If you're roasting tires through 1-3 gears, that's not helping you be able to put this down. Uni and other tuners know this. Also, I like Alex, he seems a very stand up guy, so I'm not questioning his knowledge or tuning ability. I have actually gotten advice from him on several occasions. My point is that if you take a look at 1/4 numbers...the top is still GIAC and some APR tunes, and even though other dynos are showing more gains...why aren't more custom tunes running better numbers? UM just ran an A3 11.6@117 with their TSI k04 file. I just don't see the custom tunes doing that.

It's very possible that I'm missing something here though.

I'm currently GIAC and was considering Uni or Cobb and agree with much of what you say. Since my car is my daily I want usable power. The most I would ever go would be K04 as anything more would be wasted with a fwd car. No matter how much feathering you can do on the throttle it would still not be fun to drive in heavy traffic. I wonder why he did switch? He really seemed to love the tune. I also see quite a few people selling theirs and going back to Uni, APR and others. The logging is nice and the gauges,l with the AP, but I already have a P3cars gauge so it would be over kill other than logging. I'd rather buy a used Ross Tech cable when a fellow member is done with it and be able to log that way and save my money for Unitronic if I can't figure out my GIAC tune.

FriggenT1

Banned
I'm currently GIAC and was considering Uni or Cobb and agree with much of what you say. Since my car is my daily I want usable power. The most I would ever go would be K04 as anything more would be wasted with a fwd car. No matter how much feathering you can do on the throttle it would still not be fun to drive in heavy traffic. I wonder why he did switch? He really seemed to love the tune. I also see quite a few people selling theirs and going back to Uni, APR and others. The logging is nice and the gauges,l with the AP, but I already have a P3cars gauge so it would be over kill other than logging. I'd rather buy a used Ross Tech cable when a fellow member is done with it and be able to log that way and save my money for Unitronic if I can't figure out my GIAC tune.

There's always going to be small issues with one tune or another, and the custom tune advantage is that any issues can be tuned out (if tune related). Switching isn't always the answer. If you like GIAC, you would probably really like the UM tune.

What issues are you having?

songyun

Ready to race!
looks like i got my right decision on Uni lel

CHerna

Ready to race!

Are you not happy with your GIAC tune? I was going to go GIAC for my daily. Not so sure now. What are the CONS?

urbanevil

Ready to race!
looks like i got my right decision on Uni lel
I swapped from my Uni stage 2, to a Stratified Pro-tune, haven't looked back since my 1st revision.