GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

COBB Pro-Tune vrs Unitronic Stage 2 -- DYNO

songyun

Ready to race!
I swapped from my Uni stage 2, to a Stratified Pro-tune, haven't looked back since my 1st revision.

Good to hear that. I think it depends on how people feel by themself. some might want more power or something different. I won't spend another 600bucks to switch to cobb. but if I didnt have the tune, I might just go cobb since it's convenient. the numbers doesnt really matter for me personally cuz it's my daily drive car. the 240hp to 250hp(or even more) on the wheel is not a small difference tho:thumbup:

urbanevil

Ready to race!
Good to hear that. I think it depends on how people feel by themself. some might want more power or something different. I won't spend another 600bucks to switch to cobb. but if I didnt have the tune, I might just go cobb since it's convenient. the numbers doesnt really matter for me personally cuz it's my daily drive car. the 240hp to 250hp(or even more) on the wheel is not a small difference tho[emoji106]
Agreed my man, its all in the eye of the beholder. Mine was more of a future proof, with my F23T coming early next Year.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
There's always going to be small issues with one tune or another, and the custom tune advantage is that any issues can be tuned out (if tune related). Switching isn't always the answer. If you like GIAC, you would probably really like the UM tune.

What issues are you having?

It just doesn't seem as smooth at times. There are times where it's just super punchy or feels like there's not much in terms of boost. I'm going to go with the AWE Tuning S3 pipe to hopefully get rid of any leaks. I tried doing other pipes and no luck with a perfect fitment. The Unitronic silicone hose coming from the intercooler to the Turbo outlet just isn't quite long enough so pulls on the adapter that I had on my CTS Turbo pipe (which I sold recently) because I ended up buying the Spulen K04 outlet pipe in order to mate up to their turbo muffler delete adapter. Long story short, I'm waiting for someone to be done with their Ross tech cable so I can buy it off them. After that, I'll do some logging to send over to GIAC and see how my car is doing. Maybe it's just me, but it was really powerful at first, but seems more tame now. Either I have premature carbon build up or something else going on. Now that it's winter and getting down to the single digits in the Chicago area I can't really do much since I don't have a garage and I don't think logs would be as accurate with it being so cold.

I'm hoping that once I can finally get a perfect seal post turbo I and some logging done it can shed some light.

I mean does re flashing a vehicle to stock and then back to a tune resolve any issues if the car is out of whack from bolt-ones?

I seem like a fool going through all this because it's my first VW and first in the tuning world.

Last edited:

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Are you not happy with your GIAC tune? I was going to go GIAC for my daily. Not so sure now. What are the CONS?

Honestly, there's not much out there on issues with GIAC. I think it's an isolated issue I'm having. Once I get some logging done it can shed some light if anything is happening at all. Right now it's freezing out and there's not much I can do without a garage. People love GIAC and I got their tune because it was convenient as I was getting an AWE Tuning turboback exhaust installed and the tune was on sale. They have a 30 day guarantee anyway. Try it out and if you don't like it you can get refunded. It's great if you want to have a 91, 93, and the 100+ octane mode. The flashloader is super handy as it just plugs into the OBD2 port and switch as you want. Plus they are super helpful to talk to. They have been doing it a long time and know their stuff.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I'd rather figure out this tune with my car before jumping ship to a different company. Tunes aren't cheap. The only other company I'd go with is Unitronic at this point. Cobb seems nice but too new right now.

WeekendWarriorz

Ready to race!
I'd rather figure out this tune with my car before jumping ship to a different company. Tunes aren't cheap. The only other company I'd go with is Unitronic at this point. Cobb seems nice but too new right now.

There aren't really problems with the Cobb tune.. Yes every tune has it's little quirks but if you really want to maximize the power you get for your mods then Cobb+protune is the way to go. Plus you have ALL the parameters from the ECU to view while you drive to monitor how the car is running.

FriggenT1

Banned
It just doesn't seem as smooth at times. There are times where it's just super punchy or feels like there's not much in terms of boost. I'm going to go with the AWE Tuning S3 pipe to hopefully get rid of any leaks. I tried doing other pipes and no luck with a perfect fitment. The Unitronic silicone hose coming from the intercooler to the Turbo outlet just isn't quite long enough so pulls on the adapter that I had on my CTS Turbo pipe (which I sold recently) because I ended up buying the Spulen K04 outlet pipe in order to mate up to their turbo muffler delete adapter. Long story short, I'm waiting for someone to be done with their Ross tech cable so I can buy it off them. After that, I'll do some logging to send over to GIAC and see how my car is doing. Maybe it's just me, but it was really powerful at first, but seems more tame now. Either I have premature carbon build up or something else going on. Now that it's winter and getting down to the single digits in the Chicago area I can't really do much since I don't have a garage and I don't think logs would be as accurate with it being so cold.

I'm hoping that once I can finally get a perfect seal post turbo I and some logging done it can shed some light.

I mean does re flashing a vehicle to stock and then back to a tune resolve any issues if the car is out of whack from bolt-ones?

I seem like a fool going through all this because it's my first VW and first in the tuning world.

It's possible it's in the tune but, imo it's not likely. If you aren't throwing any codes, and don't feel any misfires or a change in fuel economy, then it may just be some random boost leaks. That could certainly explain your issue. I assume you have also checked your DV as well?

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
It's possible it's in the tune but, imo it's not likely. If you aren't throwing any codes, and don't feel any misfires or a change in fuel economy, then it may just be some random boost leaks. That could certainly explain your issue. I assume you have also checked your DV as well?

Yeah I have the GFB DV+ w/o the main spring so it should act like factory with the added strength.

Fantom1107

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm currently GIAC and was considering Uni or Cobb and agree with much of what you say. Since my car is my daily I want usable power. The most I would ever go would be K04 as anything more would be wasted with a fwd car. No matter how much feathering you can do on the throttle it would still not be fun to drive in heavy traffic. I wonder why he did switch? He really seemed to love the tune. I also see quite a few people selling theirs and going back to Uni, APR and others. The logging is nice and the gauges,l with the AP, but I already have a P3cars gauge so it would be over kill other than logging. I'd rather buy a used Ross Tech cable when a fellow member is done with it and be able to log that way and save my money for Unitronic if I can't figure out my GIAC tune.

What reasons for people switch back to Uni, APR, etc? I'm trying to decide between Cobb with e-tune and Uni Stage 2 right now. Uni seems the easiest as far as just taking it to the shop and loading on. Not that doing a few pulls over a couple weeks for an e-tune is that difficult though.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
What reasons for people switch back to Uni, APR, etc? I'm trying to decide between Cobb with e-tune and Uni Stage 2 right now. Uni seems the easiest as far as just taking it to the shop and loading on. Not that doing a few pulls over a couple weeks for an e-tune is that difficult though.

I wonder the same thing? It has to be little things in the tune itself that draws people back to the big 3.

urbanevil

Ready to race!
I wonder the same thing? It has to be little things in the tune itself that draws people back to the big 3.
I started with a Uniconnect + and stage 2. I have since moved to a pro-tune by Stratified, and can't see myself going back tbh. Not an indictment on Uni (I have there intake + tbe), but the protune is far superior to any OTS tune.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion

It's the foolish people who switch to Cobb thinking that the Cobb OTS maps are on par with the big 3 that have had 5+ years of tweaking. The main value of Cobb is to run pro-tunes/e-tunes/OTS+ tunes. It seems most people that switch aren't doing that

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
All I switched back because I had a diagnosis that drove me to sell my AP, BBS and all other $$ items. There weren't any issues with the AP or my Pro-tune. The Uni tune has no value so I flashes the car back the stg2 uni.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for your input guys! Honest reviews are always good to get in the forums. I figured it was the etunes and protunes that made the Cobb AP worth it. I definitely wouldn't want to be one of the fools to get it and expect amazing results from the OTS maps.