GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to remove lower front grill, anyone?

Finally decided I cant stand the heavily sun faded lower grill and missmatched front valance. I have had the bumper off twice trying to have a go at the different clips on the back, but with no luck. Does anyone have any tips, video guide etc for how I can go about removing the grill, fog light trim and front valance?

Searched the forum and gone trough endless pages to see if there was ever a write up etc on this, but cant find anything.

PC: ECS Tuning

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
It's a shit ton of clips. You pretty much have a clip every few inches. I can't remember if I used a screwdriver or a trim removal too, but basically just take your time and push out 1 clip at a time. I think the best way to do it is to remove everything at once, I mean the fog light trim, the trim around the grill piece, and the lower grill will come out together almost like they're 1 piece. Then from there you can work on separating the different pieces. I couldn't find a guide when I did mine either, I just freeballed it and took my time with it. If you can figure out which clips are keeping the trim pieces onto the bumper and which clips are keeping the trim pieces together you should be able to get it apart.

It's a shit ton of clips. You pretty much have a clip every few inches. I can't remember if I used a screwdriver or a trim removal too, but basically just take your time and push out 1 clip at a time. I think the best way to do it is to remove everything at once, I mean the fog light trim, the trim around the grill piece, and the lower grill will come out together almost like they're 1 piece. Then from there you can work on separating the different pieces. I couldn't find a guide when I did mine either, I just freeballed it and took my time with it. If you can figure out which clips are keeping the trim pieces onto the bumper and which clips are keeping the trim pieces together you should be able to get it apart.

Thanks, do you remember if you had to remove the headlight washers (not the caps on the bumper) on the backside as well?

riceburner

Autocross Champion
I'm with the first poster. I had an absolute hell of a time taking my whole bumper apart. One clip at a time, using cut up credit cards to keep clips from reclipping helped. Even a heat gun helped just to soften a few things up.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I'm with the first poster. I had an absolute hell of a time taking my whole bumper apart. One clip at a time, using cut up credit cards to keep clips from reclipping helped. Even a heat gun helped just to soften a few things up.

That's not a bad idea. Especially at the start. The first couple clips will want to pop back into place, but once you get a few of them going it starts to get easier.

Thanks everyone! Stopped by Harbor Freight yesterday to pick up some new prying tools and hoping to finally conquer these clips this weekend.

I've taken the the front bumper apart quite a few times. The first time was a pain but it's been easy since. I took photos in anticipation of writing a DIY but never got around to it. Go to my Flickr, linked in my signature, and click the "Custom Lower Grille" album.

IMG_20170225_150032 by Tony G, on Flickr

This is awesome!! Thanks!