GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chicagoland GTI Mechanics shout out!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
This is a thread shoutout to forum members Jay745 & Das Gespenst (better known as Jay and Carson) from Chicagoland area.

Jay is from Chicago, carsons in Lombard.

These guys do sidework on GTI's and other cars of course but for us GTI guys who would rather have many of the rather VW specific procedures done (clutch, timing chain tensioner, etc) we all know its best to deal with those who love and work on these cars regularly.

Their prices are SUPER fair, I would say generally cutting atleast half off of the dealer/shop labor costs. They are as resourceful as you could imagine on finding parts in a pinch, have all the tools one would need for working on a VW, and have just done everything before.

I had them install essentially an entire new suspension and subframe yesterday due to lack of time, space, some tools, and expertise. Without the snag we hit, the whole thing took maybe 5 hours.

Parts we installed: Springs, rear toe arms and upper control arms, front caster kit, deadset subframe kit, new hardware, front stress bar, adjsutable endlinks

Super cool guys to know, they were super friendly and know I swear all the torques pecs by heart, and the right ways to do everything. They track regularly as well.

We hit one snag where an old siezed bolt sheared off in the control arm mount, which necessitated dropping the subframe entirely, and drilling out the old bolt. Now in many cases when someone is doing an agreed upon job for you and they hit complications that aren't necessarily their fault or your fault, they could just tell you to frig off. But they just pushed onward and totally took care of everything, it was unreal. No attitude change or anything, we did agree that I would be paying more for their time and a few parts we had to source, TOTALLY understandable as it took an extra few hours and tons of effort to do.

Bottom line, I totally recommend these two for their work they can do, which would probably cover just about anything anyone would want / need to do to their VW, VAGCOM services included!

I also had a DSG service performed by Jay which was again, super reasonably priced and he did the relearn procedure as well. Awesome.

At the end of the day for all the work we did I probably saved minimum 1000 bucks or so on labor, and that's if i could have found a shop to install everything, and working with these dudes I knew my car was cared for and everything was installed correctly, in fact when i went to get an alignment today, very few adjustments were even needed which speaks volumes about how well everything was put back together, considering all that was taken apart.

PM me if you have troubles finding them on here!

Thanks!

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Yeah they are super nice and cool dudes. I'd call them friends of mine, but this shout out is really due to their work, workmanship and coordination.