GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

valve cover gasket leak...?

sauceman101

Ready to race!
mine has the same issue as many of the pictures, possibly worse on the rear side. 118k more than half of that on stage 1, I typically just brake clean or simple green the shit out of it to clean it up, when I do the valves, for K04 in the future i'll likely do the valve cover

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
dude thats a classic dealership bullshit line. Dont listen to that garbage, look around this forum, the cars that need the least maintenance are the ones driven hard on the reg. Dont drive softer.

AMEN!

I am at around 136K miles, owned since new. I drive HARD, always above 3k RPM.
Maintenance wise, all I have done:
2 clutches, but that is to be expected.
0 Water Pumps
2 sets of front sway bar end links(i seem to blow these about every 50k)
1 Timing chain and tensioner, only cause some asshat at a indie shop tried and failed to launch my car and threw it a tooth.

that's it other than oil changes, and tires.

Drive it hard and smoothly and she will love you for it.

sauceman101

Ready to race!
AMEN!

I am at around 136K miles, owned since new. I drive HARD, always above 3k RPM.
Maintenance wise, all I have done:
2 clutches, but that is to be expected.
0 Water Pumps
2 sets of front sway bar end links(i seem to blow these about every 50k)
1 Timing chain and tensioner, only cause some asshat at a indie shop tried and failed to launch my car and threw it a tooth.

that's it other than oil changes, and tires.

Drive it hard and smoothly and she will love you for it.

This, second owner, had for majority of life just under 120k, driven hard regularly. Stage 1 since 55k.

0 waterpumps
1 intake manifold
1 PCV valve
clutch is in desperate need.
may have secondary air pump, or sensor shot, still have to figure that out

otherwise the car has been great

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Had similar seepage on my '11 st II GTI. Dealer says Upper timing cover gasket. Not covered under power train warranty and that'll be $600, all labor (6 hrs). 6 hrs!!!! How??

Same issue here plus a supposed turbo cutoff valve leak (found during a recall repair/start button replacement). No engine/suspension mods. They're claiming no more warranty even though I should have slightly less than a year left on powertrain based on the date I bought the car and the fact that I'm not over 60K yet. I'll have to see what's up with that.

Anyone have a guess as to how much this would be out of warranty?

The dealership I take the car to quoted $500 for the timing cover and an additional $265 for the turbo cutoff valve.

jshay

Go Kart Champion
My car is currently at the dealership for this repair. Can anybody comment on how long it takes them? They're estimating about 4ish hours.

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
My car is currently at the dealership for this repair. Can anybody comment on how long it takes them? They're estimating about 4ish hours.

I got this done. And when I got it back I started driving home. Boom cel. Boom shitty idle. Boom fat oil leak. Apparently the mechanic didn't place the gasket right on the tct cover. So all in all it took a week LOL

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
It took my dealership most of the day. Dropped it off before work and I think they called some time in the early afternoon. So like you, roughly 4-5 hours.

mk6_gti

Ready to race!
Just had this done today. They replaced the upper timing chain cover gasket and some other gasket/seal. All paid for by my extended warranty. Yay.

:thumbsup:

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
Noticing same issue here. Oil around timing chain cover and valave cover. Anyone happen to know of the tsb that takes care of this?

Moore887

I discovered mine was leaking while I was getting the timing chain tensioner replaced as a precaution on my 2010 with 70k which i just bought. Brought the car back to the dealer to have it replaced under the one month warranty and they sent it to the local VW dealership to be looked at. They called me later to say that it's to be expected with a car of that mileage and there's nothing they are going to do about it.

yuev87

Just had the valve cover gasket (or sealant) replaced at my dealer. I have 50k miles but the car is CPO until 57k miles. They gave me no trouble at all with fixing it under warranty.

corman1313

Ready to race!
I had my valve cover resealed about 2 months ago with 32k miles under warranty, if the dealership is cool and you have a good relationship with them they will do it out of warranty in my experience.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Thats coming from the Upper timing chain cover just tight the 5 side bolts ;)

Has this worked with people who has had the oily water pooling on top?

I am going to tightening the 5 side bolts (or at least the ones that are accessible to me) to see if this helps.

matt9112

first post so here goes :lol:

i have a 2010 jetta wolfsberg and after reading this entire thread i noticed my valve cover has oil residue in all the places discussed here. (around front cover seal and crank sensor)

so my question is this i have a CPO warranty for roughly 1500 more miles should i take this in eat the deductible and hopefully get a new seal and sensor?
compounding my concern is the fact that my car did have a PCV failure about a year ago. (entire unit was replaced)

for reference bone stock engine.

thanks guys.