GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 04-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #15
Short Bus
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: '10 GTI
Optimum No Rinse wash, or whatever random traditional rinse wash you want with a quality microfiber mitt and Optimum Spray Wax. Wash it once every week or two and use the spray wax once a month. Use 1z on interior panels with a vacuum cleaner and a variety of brushes to get into cracks. This shouldn't take you more than an hour a week.

I stopped using the Optimum Spray Wax and changed to Meguiar's microfiber DA pad system using D30116 wax with DMF6 finishing discs on my cheapo Harbor Freight polisher. Frequency is once every couple of months. With the DA the wax goes on super fast and this particular wax wipes off quick and easy.

Once every year or two I'll decontaminate with D30016 correction compound with DMC6 cutting pads. Count on spending an entire day to do this, it doesn't go fast unless you're a well practiced professional.

A lot of car enthusiasts are very fussy about all the steps they take to care for their car, and if that makes them happy I'm happy for them. Personally, I know that if I don't keep it as simple, easy, and quick as possible I won't do it as often as I need to. For most of my car's life it was washed with Optimum No-Rinse and followed on with Optimum Spray Wax, and I have received a lot of comments from people on how my car doesn't look nearly as old as it is.
Short Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:46 AM   #16
GreyGti1990

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
I'm just getting into car detailing but my full exterior detail will include:

1. Cleaning the rims and tires. Use a pressure washer to start and then use a dedicated microfiber mitt and bucket to hand wash the rims. Any some rim brushes.

2. Prewash with electric power washer and foam cannon. Let the foam sit on the car for 5-10 minutes then wash off with the power washer

3. Wash the car using the 2 step bucket system and microfiber mitt (not the same mitt that was used on the rims). Then dry using microfiber towels.

4. IronX the car and microfiber off.

5. Clay bar the entire car with a quick detailer and microfiber towels.

6. Depending on how bad the paint is infested with swirls and scratches either do a 2 step paint correction (compound and polish) or just polish the entire car. Use a DA polisher and the correct cutting pads.

7. Spray car with some IPA formula to remove the excess polish/compound for a better seal on the wax/sealant/ceramic coat.

8. After getting the paint as perfect as I possibly can, seal the entire car with either wax, sealant, or Ceramic coat.

9. Shine up the tires with tire dressing.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+, R8 Coils, SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Front Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails.
Soon to Come: Updated Tensioner, Tints.
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #17
zef
Oval Newbie

Drives: 2013 GTI
I refer to chemical guys flow chart.

Interior first, then wheels, then the wash. 2 bucket method of course.

Car gets clayed twice a year (spring/fall), I use a mix of AMMONYC/Chemical Guys/Meguiars.

For any questions or tips related to detailing I highly recommend AMMONYC's videos on youtube. He covers just about everything on there.
'13 GTI CW 2 DR (DSG) - Eurodyne Stage 2/HPA DSG Tune | Cobb TBE | IE CAI | IE FDS IC | 034 CC | VWR Subframe Pucks | 034 SD Mounts | MSS SPRING KIT (learn more here) | 034 Pendulum Mount | Supaloy Control Arms | B6 Passat Front Spindles | Koni Yellows | RSE10 | more to come! Follow me on Instagram!: jg_gti
zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #18
GreyGti1990

Drives: 2011 Gti 4-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by zef View Post
I refer to chemical guys flow chart.

Interior first, then wheels, then the wash. 2 bucket method of course.

Car gets clayed twice a year (spring/fall), I use a mix of AMMONYC/Chemical Guys/Meguiars.

For any questions or tips related to detailing I highly recommend AMMONYC's videos on youtube. He covers just about everything on there.
AMMONYC makes some good detailing vids for sure. I also recently stumbled on a youtube channel called "Pan the Organizer" who is a detailer with over 20 years experience and does very good youtube vids and lists all products that he uses.
2011 4-door CSG 6-speed GTi - Sigma Six, Boost gauge, AWE TOP/CTS Throttle, APR Carbonio, Revo 2, GFB DV+, R8 Coils, SB st3 Daily(485ft lbs), VWR FSB, DG Springs, WALK, Front Collar Kit, Fluidampr, APR downpipe, 225/45/17 PSS, Sparco Assetto Gara, Stoptech slotted rotors/pads, Uni Intercooler, BFI Knob, USP SS lines, ATE fluid, Beluga Cat-back, LED Tails.
Soon to Come: Updated Tensioner, Tints.
GreyGti1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
aj_law
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 Tornado Red 4DR 6MT GTI
1Z deep plastic cleaner. Works GREAT on steering wheel. Mine still has a matte finish even at 100k+ miles.

1Z cockpit premium for stuff like the dash, nav screen, doors, etc.

Lexol cleaner and conditioner for the leather. You can also use the deep plastic cleaner to clean the leather, just make sure you condition it afterwards.
('12 4DR/TR/6MT GTI - MEMBER OF THE 100K MILE CLUB) WISHLIST (bolded done...lol): Performance: Unitronic Stage1 // Unitronic CAI // Unibrace UB // DG springs // H&R 26FSB/22RSB // Tyrolsport Subframe Kit // USP SS lines/Stoptech pads/Motul fluid. Cosmetic: OZ Leggera HLT // Color matched markers/lip // Blacked out emblems & grille stripes // OEM R Tinted LED tails // 30% tint // Soundaktor delete
aj_law is offline   Reply With Quote