GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Driver Gear/VWR Spring Thread

Vroomtt

Passed Driver's Ed
I should also note I'm currently running 10mm spacers up front and 15mm in the rears.

Don't want any rubbing, hence going with dsg springs for my dsg gti. Not too worries about rake, just want a planted lower setup

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Last edited:

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Double post

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
so im getting my springs installed next week. wanted your opinions if i should change the curent bumps stops . current ones have 28k miles on them.

list of parts that i have

dg springs and koni yellows

Front Upper Strut Mounts from Audi TTRS Mk2

Front Upper Strut Bearings

6 x Strut Mount Bolts

2 x Strut Mount Nuts

2x Drive Axle Bolt

6x Front lower control arm nuts

2x stabilizer bar connecting link

2x Strut lower bolt

2x Rear lower Control Arm Bolts/nuts

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
so im getting my springs installed next week. wanted your opinions if i should change the curent bumps stops . current ones have 28k miles on them.

list of parts that i have

dg springs and koni yellows

Front Upper Strut Mounts from Audi TTRS Mk2

Front Upper Strut Bearings

6 x Strut Mount Bolts

2 x Strut Mount Nuts

2x Drive Axle Bolt

6x Front lower control arm nuts

2x stabilizer bar connecting link

2x Strut lower bolt

2x Rear lower Control Arm Bolts/nuts

Do the DGs come with new bump stops?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Mine did not

Sent from my Pixel

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Mine did not

Sent from my Pixel

Not sure if trimming them will be necessary or not? My VWR springs came with shorter bump stops, so maybe they don't drop enough to need trimming. If you're putting all new parts in, you might as well put new bump stops in.

Aphix

Go Kart Champion

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
Not sure if trimming them will be necessary or not? My VWR springs came with shorter bump stops, so maybe they don't drop enough to need trimming. If you're putting all new parts in, you might as well put new bump stops in.

Will be getting new bump stops just not sure to go with the oem US spec (70mm-133mm) ones or shorter euros specd ones. (55mm-118mm)

I will probably also replace the front endlinks and the rear shock mounts aswell

Just dont know if its really necessary on a car that has 28k miles

Sent from my Pixel

Last edited:

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
So think I'm going to start saving up for some Bilstein B8s to pair with my VWR springs. I think they are just to stiff for the stock dampers. Tired of the squeaking majority of the time and the crash ride. Lesson learned! I even had the shock mount and bearing replaced on one side because I thought it was a bad bearing.

Just making sure the Bilstein sport (B8) pairs better than the B6 (HD)?

ACHILLES R32

Drag Racing Champion
So i got my dg springs and koni yellow's installed. Went with 1 full turn from soft in the front and 3/4 in the rear. Stopped by the shop, drove the car for a bit definitely firmer but a nice firm. Will pick up the car in the morning. Think it will be a fun drive to work [emoji4]

Only thing the mechanic was not happy with is the negative camber on the front right its at -1.59.
He offered to slot the strut tower but i told him ill wait and put some miles 4-5k and then we will look at the front right tire wear.

He didn't put as much negative camber in the rear to offset the front. So technically its out of vw spec at the moment.

And i don't have a before specs ,he forgot to measure it.

Do you guys think that much negative camber in the front right will be bad? Car drives fine , doesn't pull goes straight .

Pics
Before

After ( Car also needs a wash lol)

And to add to the comparison spotted this MK7 GTI today, i swear the wheel gap is worse than the stock mk6 suspension. But a nice car either way.

Last edited:

MoNaH_GTI

Installed VWR springs/ Bilstein HDs

After 80k on the original shocks I finally got around to installing VWR springs I've had for over a year and new Bilsteins HD, I did not go with the Sports as I didnt think to drop required it. Car is DSG.
So far I am loving the feel, not harsh at all and much better cornering speeds, the drop was actually more than I thought it would be and did settle even a bit more after 2 weeks.

Photo shows tip of key at top of tire, giving an idea of the amount of body drop (right after install), very pleased with the modification.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
After 80k on the original shocks I finally got around to installing VWR springs I've had for over a year and new Bilsteins HD, I did not go with the Sports as I didnt think to drop required it. Car is DSG.

So far I am loving the feel, not harsh at all and much better cornering speeds, the drop was actually more than I thought it would be and did settle even a bit more after 2 weeks.

Photo shows tip of key at top of tire, giving an idea of the amount of body drop (right after install), very pleased with the modification.

Nice drop!