GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

new recall and a BMW 328i

McQueen77

Banned
Little late in on the thread but I'll chime in anyway because I like talking about Bimmers. I've driven the 2009 328i coupe (manual) and a 2009 328i sedan w/sport package (AT w/paddle shifters)

328i coupe 6spd - This car felt like a completely different car than the sedan w/the AT and Steptronic. I thought the handling was superb, ultra smooth inline 6, excellent clutch and shifter that was more akin to driving and shifting aggressively than the GTI's and as to the interior, I don't mind the Bimmers' 'dated' interiors. I loved this car but for a two year old car w/35k miles on it and still approaching 30k w/zero practicality, run-flats (horrid) and crappy mileage, I had to pass. Still, love that car and I disagree that it is slow, boy racers. The base stereo in the 328i pretty much destroys the base stereo in the GTI minus the touchscreen.

The 328i sedan AT was a bummer. The Automatic really neuters what is a world-class engine in these cars. GM sourced tranny is a far cry from the excellent AT in the 135i and 335i's (ZF). The step in the 328 behaves like a typical slushbox with jarring kickdown when you don't want it, shift lag and counter-intuitive paddles. You should never have to push a paddle. Pull for both up and downshifts. I think they've rectified this on the newer Bimmers. Car was solid, throttle response was great and it was still a Bimmer but getting that car with the automatic (vast majority of 328s sold in the US) is a shame. This car had plenty of rattles.

It was my wife's friends car and driving back home in my GTI up the 405 from Huntington that night afterwards was refreshing. Felt much better in so many ways. I think she paid around 35k for it, CPO w/20k miles.

Still, OP, you couldn't ask for a better loaner. When my GTI was in to get the wind noise/seals fixed/replaced, I got a Chevy Malibu loaner. Terrible.

Last edited: