GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5 Build Your Own Intake?

Stigglz

Hey all,

I have a 2010 2.5 base model and was just wondering about intake upgrades to get rid of the stock hotbox that's in there. Every time I go into Autozone or Advance Auto I see these Spectre intakes that you can "customize" for your car by buying different angled parts. Was just wondering if that is legit or just a waste of money. I really want a good one like the Carbonio CAI but that's too expensive for me right now.

Thanks!

Jchilvz

Ready to race!
Lots of people build their own cold air intakes... I would not bother with the autozone crap.

The whole idea of the cold air intake is to get cold air so in truth... Any piping that fits to a filter and has some sort of shield from the engine is a decent cold air intake... Remember where the flow comes from and how its designed on VW...the carbonio is the most like cold air intake right now, while the others are just short rams...

some people get old exhaust piping and heat shield it and put it down in the front where a front mounted intercooler could go to get the most amount of cold air.

But honestly...save your money and wait... Tortoise came first...not the hare...

You can put together a custom intake easily and not spend a lot.

I thought about that, but when I heard that Volant will have a 2.5 intake I stopped thinking about it. I'm waiting for it. should be out around May.

Filter is shielded with stock like molded plastic, but still retains the stock grille air feed and around the headlight. It is a very nice piece of kit.

I don't think its gonna make more power than the other kits, but it will be much better in resisting heatsoak compared to the neuspeed and other sri intake designs.

Plus I like that it looks oem+

Jchilvz

Ready to race!
You can put together a custom intake easily and not spend a lot.

I thought about that, but when I heard that Volant will have a 2.5 intake I stopped thinking about it. I'm waiting for it. should be out around May.

Filter is shielded with stock like molded plastic, but still retains the stock grille air feed and around the headlight. It is a very nice piece of kit.

I don't think its gonna make more power than the other kits, but it will be much better in resisting heatsoak compared to the neuspeed and other sri intake designs.

Plus I like that it looks oem+

Yes that's all very true but if you get this you would probably have to get rid of it eventually if you should decide to upgrade to a short runner intake or turbo... Depends how far you want to go

Yes that's all very true but if you get this you would probably have to get rid of it eventually if you should decide to upgrade to a short runner intake or turbo... Depends how far you want to go

I'm not planning going turbo. When IE intake manifold will be ready I will think about upgrading. And if it doesn't fit, I will modify the elbow to make it fit.

By the way, C2 intake manifold fits with aftermarket intakes since the throttle body is in the same position as the stock manifold. Don't know if IE is doing the same with their intake manifold, but if they do it will not be a problem to fit.

mycrors7

Go Kart Champion
depending on how the volant one performs, i may get rid of my apr intake for the volant intake

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Heard this works as well:

Tiggy1

Go Kart Champion
go apr. I love mine. and the sound it makes. Like a moooooooooo....
funny, cause my car is black and white. lol

lewylou78

Ready to race!
You can build one quite easily. You can reuse your OEM intake tube (will need to be cut), a 3" 90 deg Spectre intake elbow, a 3" to 3" silicone coupler, and an air filter with 3" inlet like so:

I sold the stock air box (w/air filter) for about the same amount as I spent on the entire custom intake (including the OEM Beetle 2.5 Engine Cover).

The Volant intake jetta 2.0L version sells for 243$.

Hopefully the 2.5L will be around that.

Still no news about availability. They still have to test fit on a Golf.