GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how to reset keyfob

waffleman

Ready to race!
My keyfob stopped working: cannot open/lock the doors.
Battery is still good - the light flashes when I push the button.
The other keyfob works fine.

I had this happen once last winter, and could not reset the keyfob by going through the instructions on page 49 of manual, so had to go to dealership where they charged me something like $50 to reset the darn thing.

This time around, I again tried going through the motions to reset the keyfob per the manual: push unlock button, unlock car, start ignition (all within 1 minute) and it's not working. I've tried various combinations, including just turn ignition on for a minute vs several minutes, actually starting the car, and so on.

Anyone else have this problem? How did you fix it? What am I doing wrong?

:hitcomputer:

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
I've had this problem with my Tiguan since literally day 2...I've just learned to live with it. Nothing would happen until a minute or two and then the key fob would work like new

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Why would the key fob stop working, battery ok, unless fob was defective? All i use it for is to lock and unlock the doors. Had you programmed it to do other things or something.:confused:

I would never pay the dealer 50 dollars to fix something that is suppose to work at least for the 36K.

DasAuto1295

Go Kart Champion
Mine did this. Went to the dealer and had them figure it out when I got my oil change. They reprogrammed the keys and everything works fine now. :thumbup:

escooo

Ready to race!
This happened to me once. Went to the store.. Got out of the car. Locked it.. Came back to the car and hit unlock and nothing. I pryed the cover off the door handle and manually unlocked it. Alarm went off. I started the car and everything worked. Drove home and locked the car with the remote. Never happened again. Weird.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
If you don't use your spare key for a very long time then the coding will be lost so I've read on another forum. Its just the same if someone plays with the key buttons out of range like children do it loses its sync. I hadn't use my spare key for over 12 months so I tried mine yes it worked but each key has its own settings my spare remembered the DRLs were on so I turned them off again.

I'm not saying thats whats happened to waffleman's key.

barische

Go Kart Champion
Its in the manual..

on the driver's side door: on the latch open the clip on the handle. unlock the car manually via the key that does not work. After you get in the car you have 60 seconds to start to car. when you do key fob and car automatically programs for hte right frequency.. happened to my car and dealership said I had to revert back to stock tune so they can access my keyfob module (full of shit)..

waffleman

Ready to race!
Its in the manual..

on the driver's side door: on the latch open the clip on the handle. unlock the car manually via the key that does not work. After you get in the car you have 60 seconds to start to car. when you do key fob and car automatically programs for hte right frequency.. happened to my car and dealership said I had to revert back to stock tune so they can access my keyfob module (full of shit)..

That's the thing though...I've followed the instructions in the manual on pg 49 and it's not reseting. Annoying as each time I open the door with the key now now, the alarm goes off.

I'm not sure why this happened. I use this keyfob daily. I do not think that I've used it out of range or pressed the button repeatedly. First time it happened my car had under 36K but dealership said it was not covered (I argued the "bumper to bumper" warranty and they denied it was covered) which didn't make sense to me. Needless to say, I'm never using that dealership again (Day Volkswagen)

mljchan

gti mkv fanatic
I took my keyfob apart, pressed down firmly on the little electronic board inside and it now works perfectly.May have been a loose connection. I had the same problem, in that the alarm would set, but wouldn't disarm.

luv my dub76

Ready to race!
This happened to me once. Went to the store.. Got out of the car. Locked it.. Came back to the car and hit unlock and nothing. I pryed the cover off the door handle and manually unlocked it. Alarm went off. I started the car and everything worked. Drove home and locked the car with the remote. Never happened again. Weird.
Kessy?

Just wondering ? That's one thing I am afraid of .even after unlocking the door if the car isn't reading the fob I won't be able to start it .
Will probably start taking both fobs with me when I go on long drives

Did u use your key to get that plastic piece off the door handle , did u do any damage trying to get it out?
Thx man

mira7591

Kessy?

Just wondering ? That's one thing I am afraid of .even after unlocking the door if the car isn't reading the fob I won't be able to start it .
Will probably start taking both fobs with me when I go on long drives

Did u use your key to get that plastic piece off the door handle , did u do any damage trying to get it out?
Thx man

This issue happened to my mother in law today, but her car was left running. For an hour. While waiting for VW to send roadside.
Anyway, if you bend down and look on the under side of the panel, it has a little fingernail spot. Open the door handle and use your finger nail to pop it off. Voila! Key hole. Also, after she opened the door with the key, the fob worked no problem. It was her spare since her main was still in the ignition running the car. I read that if you open the door manually and then start the ignition right away, it resets the fob to work with your car again. I don't know if it works for everyone or every car, but something to try nonetheless. But if you open the door handle when popping it off or putting it back on, no harm should be done to the car. No scratches on my mother in law's, and she's obsessive about scratches.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
Both of my key fobs have fresh batteries, just bought a week ago, but neither key fob works...any ideas? Thanks

finklejag

Ready to race!
Same thing happen to one of my keys on my 2010. I tried the key in the door trick that the manual calls for and it didn't fix the problem. I had my local tuning shop use their vagcom to reprogram the key to the car.

reedsposer22

Ready to race!
Same thing happen to one of my keys on my 2010. I tried the key in the door trick that the manual calls for and it didn't fix the problem. I had my local tuning shop use their vagcom to reprogram the key to the car.

I appreciate this, thank you.