GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

*****2.0t build thread

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Have your PSSs made any noises? I'm pretty sure my front right is blown after 50k mi or so. Hoping it might just be a bad strut mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually replied to your thread earlier. Mine have been making this nasty clicking noise while turning stopped. It's louder in hot weather. It's not the subframe for sure, so I figured it had to be the strut mount bearing. Replaced both side bearings, checked and made sure neither was blown (they weren't), noise was still there. I have TT mounts and they've been on for a while. SO, I just got a set of 034's in yesterday that I'll be throwing on shortly to see if it solved the issue. It's annoying as hell though.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I can't even remember where I left off last. LOL. I have new OEM ball joints, the 034 strut mounts and v-band clamps to add a (maybe hollowed out...) cat to my downpipe for emissions visual purposes to go on. Also received the AN fittings and hose to go along with my Mocal 16 row oil cooler and sandwich plate which I'm waiting for.

I think I may do some black mirror caps this year yet also. Along with some 235/40's.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Some updates..
OIl Cooler is on, but I haven't driven the car with it yet as it's been sitting for 3 weeks due to POS Bilstein coilovers. With that being said, I have a set of BC Racing coils on the way so I can finally drive my car again.

While it was down I also got the hood painted, installed Piano Black Mirror covered and did a DEI soft chirp horn. Pics to come!

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
So this hasn't been updated in quite a while, so I figured I'd kind of do a picture dump (again) from my phone to keep everything in line.

Ended up back with ST Coilovers after my PSS's started making noise, I then stripped the top thread and couldn't get Bilstein to repair them in time. I actually prefer the ST's a LOT over the Bilsteins.

Hood was repainted during the downtime above to get rid of the 110k miles (at the time) of rock chips. And the oil cooler fully installed.

AEM A/F gauge removed and Aeroforce Scan Gauge installed.

OEM flywheel took a shit, replaced with a brand new Sachs flywheel and HS Tuning RSR clutch.

Installed APR Catchcan and relocated my Synapse DV.

Switched to my winters, but my car will (for once) be sitting in the garage for most of winter. I still drive it when it's not snowing, but have a beater truck for when the weather is shitty.

Picked up Conti DW summers for my Neuspeeds in 235/40-18 size.

Removed my head, fixed the broken exhaust stud, replaced all the studs with new, added IE valve springs and new IE valve seals, painted the valve cover/upper cam carrier, and replaced all gaskets/O-rings with OEM during that process. And a new timing chain tensioner and guides.

Also added an 034 spherical pendulum mount and BFI stage 2 poly inserts for my mounts.

Currently waiting on some pieces to remove the T piece on my intake and install a fitting to change the DV hose, essentially making the intake not 400 parts before it gets to the filter. Also made a custom battery holder I'll be painting and installing.

That's about it for the moment!

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I actually prefer the ST's a LOT over the Bilsteins.

Hood was repainted during the downtime above to get rid of the 110k miles (at the time) of rock chips. And the oil cooler fully installed.

1. Why do you like the ST's more than the Bilsteins?
2. How much did you pay to have the hood painted (if you don't mind me asking)?
3. More pics/info on the motorcycle please :D

Oh, and sick car :thumbsup:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
1. Why do you like the ST's more than the Bilsteins?

2. How much did you pay to have the hood painted (if you don't mind me asking)?

3. More pics/info on the motorcycle please :D

Oh, and sick car :thumbsup:

I feel like I paid for the Bilsteins to never have an issue, and they started making noises after one year. I had ST's before them, and put like 75k miles on them without an issue ever. ST's don't feel like they dampen or rebound any softer than the Bilsteins, and seem to ride better at every height (not to mention the ST's can go a lot lower, if that is your thing). The extra $$ for the Bilsteins is not worth it at all compared to the ST's. I really wanted to try out the BC coilovers, but they were on backorder.

I had the hood painted by an auto body shop employee on the side, so it was cheap. I think $200.

Bike is an 03 Kawasaki Z1000, also pretty heavily modded. Power commander, increased timing, ZX9 4-1 header, custom midpipe, Muzzy muffler, ZX10 TB's and K&N pods which I had to do some mods and tuning to get working right, flywheel I had machined/lightened, ZX10 master cylinders, EBC pads, Galfer lines, Pilot Power tires. Probably missing some stuff. It's a real Frankenstein bike with parts from everything, the taillight is off an 08 R1 and I converted the headlight to a projector using an old R1 headlight, and it has Renthal low dirtbike bars. It has over 30k miles on it, I ride the hell out of it and it's pretty much my DD commuter in the summer.

Edit:

Last edited:

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
I feel like I paid for the Bilsteins to never have an issue, and they started making noises after one year. I had ST's before them, and put like 75k miles on them without an issue ever. ST's don't feel like they dampen or rebound any softer than the Bilsteins, and seem to ride better at every height (not to mention the ST's can go a lot lower, if that is your thing). The extra $$ for the Bilsteins is not worth it at all compared to the ST's. I really wanted to try out the BC coilovers, but they were on backorder.

I had the hood painted by an auto body shop employee on the side, so it was cheap. I think $200.

Bike is an 03 Kawasaki Z1000, also pretty heavily modded. Power commander, increased timing, ZX9 4-1 header, custom midpipe, Muzzy muffler, ZX10 TB's and K&N pods which I had to do some mods and tuning to get working right, flywheel I had machined/lightened, ZX10 master cylinders, EBC pads, Galfer lines, Pilot Power tires. Probably missing some stuff. It's a real Frankenstein bike with parts from everything, the taillight is off an 08 R1 and I converted the headlight to a projector using an old R1 headlight, and it has Renthal low dirtbike bars. It has over 30k miles on it, I ride the hell out of it and it's pretty much my DD commuter in the summer.

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking to switch to coilovers from my Koni yellow/H&R sport setup and I think ST's will be the ticket. Do you have the ST X's or XTA's (non-adjustable vs. adjustable damping/camber adjustment/uniball topmount). The BC's look interesting too--I'll have to check em out. Good price on the hood respray too!

My first thought when I saw the picture was Z1000 but I had no idea what was going on with the tail lol. I think the tail/rear subframe looks sick and it's even cooler that it's frankenstein'd. Looks like a really fun bike. Sweet rides :thumbsup: I'm also itching for warmer weather to get back on 2 wheels.

Edit: Damn you've got me looking for z1000's now :D
Double Edit: What mirrors are those and are they actually of any use?

Last edited:

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for all the info. I'm looking to switch to coilovers from my Koni yellow/H&R sport setup and I think ST's will be the ticket. Do you have the ST X's or XTA's (non-adjustable vs. adjustable damping/camber adjustment/uniball topmount). The BC's look interesting too--I'll have to check em out. Good price on the hood respray too!

My first thought when I saw the picture was Z1000 but I had no idea what was going on with the tail lol. I think the tail/rear subframe looks sick and it's even cooler that it's frankenstein'd. Looks like a really fun bike. Sweet rides :thumbsup: I'm also itching for warmer weather to get back on 2 wheels.

Edit: Damn you've got me looking for z1000's now :D

Double Edit: What mirrors are those and are they actually of any use?

Non adjustable, just the X's. They work really well and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Thanks about the bike!! I really love it. I have a lot of friends with super sport bikes and they all try and ride mine when we go out. It's a really fun bike.

Mirrors and just eBay specials. They work really well as blind spot mirrors, but not great with seeing what's behind you unless you contort your body out of the way. They do the job for me, and don't look like hell at the same time.

Tony48

Go Kart Champion
Non adjustable, just the X's. They work really well and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Much appreciated!
Thanks about the bike!! I really love it. I have a lot of friends with super sport bikes and they all try and ride mine when we go out. It's a really fun bike.

No doubt. I know I'd wanna ride it haha. Naked bikes for the win. It's not about how fast you're going, rather how fast you feel like you're going. I have a naked SV650 and will probably sell it soon for a naked sportbike or a supermoto. I've had my eye on the wr250x for awhile but it would take a bit of work to get it where I'd like power wise.
Mirrors and just eBay specials. They work really well as blind spot mirrors, but not great with seeing what's behind you unless you contort your body out of the way. They do the job for me, and don't look like hell at the same time.

I'll have to try to find a similar pair. I've been rocking round bar end mirrors but I don't really like the look. Yours look nicer and I really only need them for blind spots anyway. After my last track day I actually kept the bar end sliders on for a few months and rode without any mirrors without issue. Checking blind spots in traffic got annoying though.