GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI, Loving the Small Things

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Not sure about the DRLs, but I can tell you that the comfort windows feature wasn't standard on North American cars because, from what I've read, when closing the windows, it overrides the pinch detection. As America is a sue-happy country... VW probably wanted to avoid the hassle.

Got it. But, I will gladly assume the risk of pinching my fingers. As for the DRLs, you can turn it on and off at will. Look on the DYI section, and you'll find a post by the moderator Bubski with details - sorry, I don't know how to post links.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
How much of a great road trip car this thing is. Car gets lots of looks too, its nice.

Intoxicatingly fun to drive :)

These aren't little things - they're the BIG things I love about this car.

ToddEichel

You turned on yours through vagcom right? I do know that you can still close the sunroof (maybe windows too) after shutting the car off, and removing key, but before opening the door. That's nice.

There's a setting you can turn on with vagcom so that you can continue to use the windows and sunroof after you open the door the first time after turning the car off, too.

loopless1

Ready to race!
I like
-for a high performance, great handling hatch, you can drive around the crappy streets in my neighborhood and the freaking GTI rides better than many bigger cars.
-an interior that puts Audis from a couple of years ago to shame
-and you can drop 2 gears in the DSG, hit the throttle and be gone while the guy in the WRX is still trying to stir the porridge with his gear shift and get past his turbo-lag! ( I know, I owned a subie before the GTI)

Junk307

Passed Driver's Ed
loved my reaction the day I discovered that the glove compartment also chills drinks - then tried it and it worked a charm.

Junk307

Passed Driver's Ed
friend drives a 2007 A3 6spd.
Gets in my 2011 GTI and doesnt stop going on about how nice the interior is and starts noticing all the details immediately. I just about had to ask him to stop......but I didnt.

wolf167h

loved my reaction the day I discovered that the glove compartment also chills drinks - then tried it and it worked a charm.

Wait... what?

Rockstar

Passed Driver's Ed
The air vent in the glove box that gets things colder pretty quickly, or keeps them colder longer.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
, and there's a notch on the exterior door handle that you simply touch to lock the car, just like the keyless systems in recent Audis and BMWs. No need to press a button on the fob to lock it.

Well what do ya know lol I have had the car over 2 weeks now and just found that out.

Dee1

Passed Driver's Ed
Seems like there is... assuming you're talking about the Smartkey keyless entry, you never have to take the key out of your pocket ever, unless you want to pop the hatch remotely. Grasping the handle unlocks the car, button starts and stops ignition, and there's a notch on the exterior door handle that you simply touch to lock the car, just like the keyless systems in recent Audis and BMWs. No need to press a button on the fob to lock it.

As I use the KESSY system more, I like how smart it is.

For example, if the car is locked, the key can be right next to the door handle, and it won't unlock accidently.

It's the combination of the key's proximity and my grabbing the door handle that opens the car.

Dave, who still often locks the car with the key's remote button just a self-reminder that it's locked

masmole

Passed Driver's Ed
Well what do ya know lol I have had the car over 2 weeks now and just found that out.

lol. I don't read the owners manuals either and the only reason I knew this was because it worked the same way for former and current BMWs, Audis, MB cars I've owned. My first car with this keyless smartkey feature was an '06 M5 and I didn't discover how to lock it without using the button on the fob until about a month later from reading on the forums lol!

Ivoryplum

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm looking into buying a used 2010 GTI in about a year or so, and I love this thread. :)
Gets me all the more excited.

But then again, I'll be coming from a 96' Ford Ranger. The biggest feature it has is airbags. ;)

Keep these little details coming! Love reading them.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion