Can you drive stick?

• Yes

Votes: 627 91.4%
  • No

Votes: 59 8.6%

• Total voters

McQueen77

Banned
I can drive stick and I bought a DSG powered car. The tech is just simply superior with the exception of a few lower MPGs.

The technology is no doubt superior and that is why it costs more to buy and more to maintain. The technology of the DSG blows away that of the manual which was invented in like the late 19th century..

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
The technology is no doubt superior and that is why it costs more to buy and more to maintain. The technology of the DSG blows away that of the manual which was invented in like the late 19th century..

And the wheel was invented thousands of years ago, we still use those as well. :D

McQueen77

Banned

Poltergeist

Ready to race!
Learned from a friend's 93 Integra GS. When he bough the car (3k CAD lol) it was already modded to the point where no other mods can be added (without spending big buck). The quality of mods and works were shit. Apparently some girl who doesn't even know about cars modded it. Anyway it was shit. Clutch pedal was even harder than the brake pedal pressed half way. Real leg killer when driven in traffic...but somehow I got the basics, then practiced with my gf's 05 Acura EL. Great manual box, great car. Now I drive a 6MT :)

livefast

Ready to race!
Just learned five months ago, and I don't think I'll ever be going back to an auto.

Driving is a whole new (and fun) activity when driving stick.

Fleron2301

Go Kart Champion
Learned on my dad's Mustang GT when I was around 12. Bought my GTI 6MT at 16, now 17. I am in love with my car. :wub:

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
My oldest son (12) finally starting asking me details about that pedal all the way to the left and why I am always pressing it...I explained to him the mechanics of it all and announced all my gear shifts while he watched intensely. Future manual driver, I hope.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
learned on a ford tempo... i remember when 4th gear for the first time felt crazy fast in a parkinglot when i was 12... i drove truck for a while and loved jumping into my mk2 gti when i was done for the day...

MK6moneyGANG

Go Kart Champion
Dad taught me in my older e36 , took me a day to catch on , stalled and killed the car atleast 7 times . Caught on pretty quick and I learned in one day . Funny story I killed my car one day on the way to school . The day after , but now even though my mk6 is dsg I can drive stick like butter . Lol doesn't sound right but yeah.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
If we're talking about how we learned, I have a good one:

I learned when I was 21 yrs old. I was a regional truck driver for an air freight company driving a 26' delivery vehicle with air brakes. My usual truck was an automatic but ONE day my normal truck was in the shop for repairs and the only available truck was a manual. I almost shit because I was intimidated by the idea of learning on such a big fucker. I took another driver out with me to the airport and he gave me a 15 minute crash course which we luckily didn't crash during.

Looking back, I would say besides the fear of fucking up with such a big truck, it was actually one of the easiest ways to learn. Trucks can be modulated into gear quite easily without ever using the clutch...plus the inertia prevents all but the worst learning stall outs. You would only have to worry about that on an incline...flat or downhill roads were virtually impossible to stall on because of the weight.

I was 24 when I got the Type-S. 31 for the s2000 but I had an auto Ridgeline at the same time. I liked having an auto with a stick but I don't think I'd ever want just a stick car after the RSX. The GTI is my only car now and it needed to be DSG because of my left knee not being as good as it could be.

mikent256

Ready to race!
Can I? Yes.

Is it fun in traffic? Hell no.

That's why I bought DSG.

/thread.

Driving a manual in the city is just hellish. You're bound to get royally screwed by traffic/ignorant drivers no matter what, your passengers are bound to hate the ride (rocking back and forth through gear changes). It's really just an enthusiast feature that's best for a true sports car in open roads.

For anything else... there's DSG.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
your passengers are bound to hate the ride (rocking back and forth through gear changes).

That's what torque mount inserts are for. :thumbsup:

I actually consider bumper to bumper traffic to be practice time for refining my low gear shifting technique. Anything to put a positive spin on something that simply sucks no matter what transmission you have.

mikent256

Ready to race!
That's what torque mount inserts are for. :thumbsup:

I actually consider bumper to bumper traffic to be practice time for refining my low gear shifting technique. Anything to put a positive spin on something that simply sucks no matter what transmission you have.

Torque Mount inserts worked opposite for me. Keeps the engine in place, less forgiving, rpms drop almost instantly because motor is in place. At least with the softer mount, the rpms can float a tad to give you some gimmie room.

I can drive in any situation comfortable in an auto. I am able to concentrate and focus on what matters. Instead, driving a manual puts me in a game of physics and calculations: amount of X (clutch) in conjunction to Y (throttle), on top of gear selection and ultimately all of this is dictated by my surroundings. Look ahead - traffic? Better drop a gear in anticipation. Going up hill? Drop a gear. Finally reach 6th gear to get some good cruising MPG, fuck someone cuts you off and you get boxed in traffic, back down to 4th gear and revving near the boost building threshold.

It's just gotten completely and utterly over-rated for me. But it is a LOT better to drive than a slushbox Auto. And given the right vehicle, it's sometimes the only way to go.

With a car like the GTI, i'll be more than happy to keep the revs high and continuous with the DSG trans instead of my slow reactionary pedal work.