GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge catch can installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tecni

Ready to race!
Thanks to the guys at Forge, I got my hands on one of their first Mark 6 catch cans.

The parts are top notch (just like any Forge part) and the installation couldn't be more straight forward.

I'm glad I can stop worrying about getting my valves all gunked up with oil. :)

This is the "Africa Plate" It replaces a unit that sits atop your valve cover that was designed to equalize crankcase pressures.

There's a smal piece of the original gasket that needs to be trimmed off (no big deal).

I had to trim the engine cover with a Dremel and a steady hand.

This is how it came out

They provided me with a plug to eliminate the the resonator pipe but I'm not quite sure if this will be included in the final product.

Two thumbs up for the crew at Forge! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
:thumbup:

Last edited:

davesxx01

Go Kart Champion
Interesting! Only question is how well does this work in freezing temps?

Mike?

Tecni

Ready to race!

Mike?

If it were to freeze, as soon as you run the car the radiating heat from the engine would quickly thaw out the water. That's my $.02 on that but lets have Mike chime in.

heartcoke

Ready to race!
Nice engine bay look, where does that "Africa Plate" go? For something that sexy looking I expected to see it in the pics installed. Also what'd you use to heatshield your intake from the twintake back? I need to do that, my own Stage 2 APR intake but cheapo. The black tape you used looks good.

dennybak

Ready to race!
sucks you have to cut the engine cover. why dont they just give you a longer piece of tubing? hopefully they will once the final product comes out.

EuroStylez

Go Kart Champion
im still trying to understand why one would buy this? Besides valves not being gunked up with oil (vw didnt think of this?) what else is good about this? im stage II and def wanna make sure my car will be running good many years from now. Thanks

Tecni

Ready to race!
Nice engine bay look, where does that "Africa Plate" go? For something that sexy looking I expected to see it in the pics installed. Also what'd you use to heatshield your intake from the twintake back? I need to do that, my own Stage 2 APR intake but cheapo. The black tape you used looks good.

I used DEI black exhaust wrap, dipped it in water to make it more manageable, let it dry for about a day or so and then sprayed it with DEI silicone spray specifically designed for coating exhaust wrap.

The "africa plate" replaces a plastic contraption that's bolted down to your valve cover that was designed to help equalize the crankcase pressures before reaching the intake. Despite VW's efforts, we still end up getting quite a bit of oil sucked into the intake pipe.

I'll snap a few pics of it installed but it goes undetected when you opt to install the engine cover.

The notch that I had to cut is actually very small and it really was no big deal. I'm sure you could uninstall the whole thing and have it go undetected.

Last edited:

Tecni

Ready to race!
Your pics are whack.
They don't really show us anything. And you didn't really explain anything either.

My thread was never meant to be a DIY or an instruction manual to it. Its a prototype that is about to be released and I simply installed it on my car and decided to put a few pics up. What do you need explained to you? Its a catch can and a simple enough installation that you don't need instructions to install.

Valve cover-------------> Catch Can----------> Intake

Simple enough.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
WTF...

Dude, I hate to pick but you asked for it:

You cut a new hole in your expensive engine cover for the Forge hose then you left the original cutout unused right next to it! What's up with that? IMO you should have fit the Forge hose without cutting new holes by looping the new Forge hose out the original hole. :bonk:

zeonic

mmm.... beer
in for pics with out the cover. big chunks of machined aluminum are always appealing :D

Mike@Forge

Go Kart Champion

Mike?

I already answered you on Vortex:

There is no reason to suspect there will be any detriment to the function of the setup in freezing temps.

Personally, I think the idea that the collected fluid will freeze in the tank is a misnomer, or at least not nearly as big of a problem as people make it out to be. I have never seen proof of this actually occuring.

First, the fluid itself is comprised not only of water vapor, but fuel and oil as well, both of which will not freeze, even when mixed with condensation. Even if the condensation portion of the mixture were to freeze, this still only represents a portion of the total volume, and will not result in a solid chunk of frozen liquid in the tank.

Secondary to that, as soon as the engine is started and reaches operating temp, and blow-by gases start passing through the tank again, the heat of those gases will effectively heat up the tank and the fluid contained therein.

sucks you have to cut the engine cover. why dont they just give you a longer piece of tubing? hopefully they will once the final product comes out.

Why provide an unnecessarily long piece of hose just to suit a cutout on the right side of the cover, when the tank is mounted on the left side of the motor?

As far as we're concerned, the kit is not specifically designed to retain the cover, but will accomodate it if you so choose.

If you want to utilize a different tank mounting location on the right of the motor or want to use a longer piece of hose to use the existing cover cutout but the same tank mounting location, you are welcome to do so.

im still trying to understand why one would buy this? Besides valves not being gunked up with oil (vw didnt think of this?) what else is good about this? im stage II and def wanna make sure my car will be running good many years from now. Thanks

The entire purpose of a catch tank kit is to bypass failure prone OEM PCV assemblies (or the check valves contained within them), and to collect vaporized oil, fuel, and water to prevent buildup on the intake valves which is far more prevalent and has no ability to be cleaned off on direct injected motors compared to port injected motors.

Dude, I hate to pick but you asked for it:

You cut a new hole in your expensive engine cover for the Forge hose then you left the original cutout unused right next to it! What's up with that? IMO you should have fit the Forge hose without cutting new holes by looping the new Forge hose out the original hole. :bonk:

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.