GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1st gear lag almost caused an accident?

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
I got so pissed off today when I stepped on the gas and nothing fucking happened. i still think it is the electronic throttle, b/c for me response is horrendously slow at all RPM's, even at like 3k in second gear. after lunch today, turning onto a main road- i floor it... nothing... nothing... nothing... a little... OH SHIT... "when did we get so close to that truck?" my grandfather said lol. but in all seriousness this is an issue that needs to be fixed somehow. would there be a way to shorten the distance between the throttle module and the ECU or wherever it goes?

BackToVWs

Ready to race!
I got so pissed off today when I stepped on the gas and nothing fucking happened. i still think it is the electronic throttle, b/c for me response is horrendously slow at all RPM's, even at like 3k in second gear. after lunch today, turning onto a main road- i floor it... nothing... nothing... nothing... a little... OH SHIT... "when did we get so close to that truck?" my grandfather said lol. but in all seriousness this is an issue that needs to be fixed somehow. would there be a way to shorten the distance between the throttle module and the ECU or wherever it goes?

my dream would be for the APR wizards to figure out how to fix this via an ECU change, but the real "solution" would probably b a complete re-mapping of the throttle response, and most likely some sort of hardware replacement

BOO VOLKSWAGEN, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

[Old User]

Go Kart Champion
my dream would be for the APR wizards to figure out how to fix this via an ECU change, but the real "solution" would probably b a complete re-mapping of the throttle response, and most likely some sort of hardware replacement

BOO VOLKSWAGEN, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

^^ this, this is called big thinking, where is arin? he needs to get on this. now.

NOLA-Ron

Go Kart Champion
I thought I was crazy or that I never noticed this before Stage 1... today I really noticed it several times. I was like.. WTF is wrong with my car? Now it all makes sense.

colslaw87

Ready to race!
...even at like 3k in second gear ... turning onto a main road- i floor it... nothing... nothing... nothing...

Ok, that sounds strange. There's no lag time @ 3K in any gear when I drive my GTI. Does the power eventually kick in?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
I have this all the time .. I would pay decent money for a viable hardware or software fix for this lag. People are describing it perfectly... hammer gas - wait - wait - wait - wait.... - BAM! Full throttle! Must look like I'm a 16 year old driving from the outside of the car, lol.

pgreene1

Ready to race!
I have been complaining about this since I got my GTI in early May. I kept spinning tires in first gear during my test drive and I wasn't sure why. I later figured out it was due to the throttle lag. I've since been able to mitigate it by driving in manual mode (DSG tranny) and lightly applying throttle about a second before I need to actually accelerate, but the lag is still highly annoying.

I'll probably end up wrecking my wife's Honda Fit at some point. The throttle response in that car is instantaneous, and it takes some getting used to after driving the GTI every day.

P

plac

its more of a technique where you let go the brake early instead. the brake kills the throttle. so let off the brake so you roll, then the gas works quicker.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Try having it with K04 and all of the power just kicks in all of the sudden. I've had to learn, much like plac mentioned, to roll into the acceleration.

btufail

Ready to race!
its more of a technique where you let go the brake early instead. the brake kills the throttle. so let off the brake so you roll, then the gas works quicker.
Yeah I noticed this problem early on and then just started adjusting my driving habits like Plac. Rolling definitely helps! I don't even notice it hardly anymore!

P

plac

Yeah I noticed this problem early on and then just started adjusting my driving habits like Plac. Rolling definitely helps! I don't even notice it hardly anymore!

when my cross light turns orange, thats when i let off the brake. then i can leave as quick as everyone else.

Fordson

Ready to race!
This car idles at maybe 700 rpm, but it's not making boost at 700 rpm. If you want to take advantage of small holes in traffic, you have to get the revs up to around 1700 first. If you are moving, you pick the gear that will put you at over 1700 rpm at the speed you're traveling and the throttle response is fine. Or if you're stopped you put it in first, get the revs up and slip it.

This is why I bought the 6MT instead of the DSG. The DSG does a fine job of slipping the clutch in most cases, but not all cases, and it has the disadvantage of not knowing what you're anticipating doing.

Yes, there is some sort of flat spot in the DBW throttle in this car, but basically what you people are talking about is expecting power and response when you're out of boost, and that's not going to happen.

hvltg

Ready to race!
first time experience this 1st gear lag in my DSG, i was puling out of a gas station with my son in the car. some scary shit when you got no power and pulling out into busy street! :eek: