GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the Platinum Extended Warranty worth it?

Extended warranties are usually only beneficial to whomever is selling them.

true: but with a pretty short 3 yr full warranty, and another 4 years to pay the car off.... I'm willing to cough up for my 6 yr/ 72k ext warranty...

M3LO

Ready to race!
I find that hard to believe because every $1k is $20 a month to your monthly. Unless you got your extended warranty for $250 then it isn't only $5 a month.

um...that sounds a tad low... sure they din't give ya just a powertrain extended warranty...??? (which is kinda useless since you already have a 5 yr/60k warranty on that...)

my bad guys..forgot the 2...$25 additional a month. My monthly payments are still under $290 including the extended warranty...

bottom line is if you plan on keeping the car for longer than 3 years and have the funds to purchase the warranty, you probably should.

McQueen77

Banned
I got the platinum 7 year warranty. The first real repair you need on the car will probably cost the price of the warranty. More things will happen afterwards and it will probably pay for itself. Some disagree and think its better to shell out the cash if (and when) something happens, or they can fix the problems themselves. Every extended warranty I've ever bought on a product (cars, computers, etc.) has been used and paid for itself and then some. Last thing I want after my car is paid off is to get slapped with a giant repair bill.

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Had a Mercedes E55 with an extended warranty that went to 8/88k that cost me $3,200. I thought at first it was a waste of money but wanted to be safe with a car were any repair is a grand or more. The warranty company ended up paying out $14.5k to fix all the crap that went wrong with the car. The $3,200 was some of the best money I spent. When the warranty was coming up I sold the beautiful and fast but unreliable E55 and got a refund on the unused portion of the insurance.

Attachments

• New E55.jpg
    New E55.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 318
Had a Mercedes E55 with an extended warranty that went to 8/88k that cost me $3,200. I thought at first it was a waste of money but wanted to be safe with a car were any repair is a grand or more. The warranty company ended up paying out $14.5k to fix all the crap that went wrong with the car. The $3,200 was some of the best money I spent. When the warranty was coming up I sold the beautiful and fast but unreliable E55 and got a refund on the unused portion of the insurance.

how do you get a refund for something that expired... ??? You used a $3200 warranty to pay for $14,500 worth of repair.... explain...

oh wait... you sold it before the 8/88 was up... got it....

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Before your current factory one goes out.

JETMGPL

I am claiming and it didnot worked the first time

I have a Jetta 2008 under 53.000 Miles.
The dealership told us would cover totally all electronic parts… Fancy name, and very expensive!!

So far this is my very unhappy story:

One month ago one electronic sensor failed, extended "Platinum" guaranty DID NOT COVER an $800 bill. :mad:
Sensor$ 250
Labor $480 ($120 per hour!!!)

One month later:
Here we go again, another light is on, the manual only says: "go to the dealer" (come on guys! I am not in kindergarten, I deserve more information!!)

will the extended "Platinum" guaranty cover this time??? I will let you know soon...

littleazn248

Go Kart Champion
How much did you guys pay for your platinum warranty? I paid around 2k.

jni3

Ready to race!
that sensor itself should have its own warranty and since it was installed at the dealership, i believe it is covered for one year.

Motrix

How much did you guys pay for your platinum warranty? I paid around 2k.

bumping this one up as I am debating this right now. Picked up my JSW TDI last Friday and was offered the platinum plan for

7yr/70K for $1981 or
7yr/100K for 2365

decisions decisions......

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
bumping this one up as I am debating this right now. Picked up my JSW TDI last Friday and was offered the platinum plan for

7yr/70K for $1981 or
7yr/100K for 2365

decisions decisions......

warranties like this are generally a scam the dealership uses to suck more money out of morons, most people do not typically keep a car for more than 5 years and these warranties play upon everyone's desire to be content for longer than they usually are. Keep in mind this warranty will likely not transfer to the new owner and if it does it will not mean a damn thing come trade in time.

If you are willing to pay for your insecurities then go for it, generally you're better suited without it.

Motrix

warranties like this are generally a scam the dealership uses to suck more money out of morons, most people do not typically keep a car for more than 5 years and these warranties play upon everyone's desire to be content for longer than they usually are. Keep in mind this warranty will likely not transfer to the new owner and if it does it will not mean a damn thing come trade in time.

If you are willing to pay for your insecurities then go for it, generally you're better suited without it.

interesting points of view....points taken.

Never caved in for extended warranties for the past 5 cars I bought and not really sure why I am giving it more thought this time around. Although I should have bought it for my 2001 Chevy Tahoe that was a PITA after 50k on it.

MaliciousMK6

Go Kart Champion
interesting points of view....points taken.

Never caved in for extended warranties for the past 5 cars I bought and not really sure why I am giving it more thought this time around. Although I should have bought it for my 2001 Chevy Tahoe that was a PITA after 50k on it.

what would have been a smarter choice? purchasing a car with at least an average reliability would have saved you more.

Personal experience with my parents car, she purchased a 2006 Mazda RX7 Shinka edition fully loaded with the super extended warranty (extra $4k) for $37k, all against my advisement. 2011 rolls around and that car is worth $16k tops with under 18k mi. The warranty was not once used and not worth a dime come time to sell it. This is what the majority of the dealers that offer these packages count on.

McQueen77

Banned
problem is that VW bumper to bumper warranty is only 3 years.... most people here will keep their GTIs for at least 5-7 years... I can't see myself w/out full coverage for 3 of those years after the regular warrranty expires... That's the cost og German engineering.... ahahahahah.

Thats why cpo is best because it gives you the added 2 yr/24 month bumper to bumper after the 3 yrs is up, essentially giving you 5 yrs or 60k of full coverage. Ive used the cpo warranty a few times now and saved about a grand