GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gray Ghost 2010 CSG Autobahn - 2009 CW GTI - MK6 Road Warriors

red_stapler

Ready to race!
So are your wheels 18x8" +45? I've been stressing out over the poke in the rear.

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks guys. You are correct on my specs. It rubs the arch on hard bumps but it's not terrible. The handling improvement is worth it IMO.

Das Gespenst

Go Kart Champion
Again, thanks for your help and info in this thread. Rear spindles showed up today and I picked up the hardware you said we need to do them. Finally finishing up the rear for the widebody setup on my racecar. Got some Megan camber and toe arms so the car can be properly corner balanced and setup to account for the much wider track width now.

red_stapler

Ready to race!
Fun fact that I discovered by destroying a wheel bearing:

If you buy your rear tiguan/tt/passat hubs without wheel bearings, you need washer WHT000412 (order one for each side) to properly install the bearing.

zrickety

The Fixer
Again, thanks for your help and info in this thread. Rear spindles showed up today and I picked up the hardware you said we need to do them. Finally finishing up the rear for the widebody setup on my racecar. Got some Megan camber and toe arms so the car can be properly corner balanced and setup to account for the much wider track width now.

Sweet! I'm glad to help. This was a group effort as other members pointed me in the right direction. :thumbsup:

If you buy your rear tiguan/tt/passat hubs without wheel bearings, you need washer WHT000412 (order one for each side) to properly install the bearing.
Great info, thanks.

zrickety

The Fixer
Well just an update to the thread...car is near 142k and the headliner is falling down. I've debated buying another car but decided to keep this as long as it's running. Mechanically I have no complaints, still have not carbon cleaned, just do the occasional Italian tune up. Original water pump hanging tough. Have a few more parts to throw at it like VWR mounts and a Wortec oil pan maybe in the spring.

zrickety

The Fixer
More news...I've had some health issues that will slow me down for a few months. Before this happened, I tried repairing the headliner. Glue dried too fast and the fabric wouldn't stick, so I just painted the thing black. Trade in value on my beast is about $4k and dropping. I've decided this will become my race car and I'm looking for a new daily. Probably an R but I'll be waiting for the right deal. I love the DSG but I want another manual as they have become so rare. Mechanically this car is still bringing big smiles and mileage is over 155k.

zrickety

The Fixer
UPDATES-I am getting the occasional DSG slip or clunk, guess it's time to change the fluid again.

Wife complained about the rubbing in the rear, so I removed the aluminum spindles and sold them on to Cadubya.

When I replaced the radiator years ago, I used Peak Long Life coolant and people freaked out that it would gel or something because it wasn't OEM. I can say that it's worked great and the fluid looks just like the day I put it in.

The Yokohama tires have hardly worn, and with my hard driving I'm really impressed with them.

zrickety

The Fixer
Pulled the trigger on the Mfactory LSD. I always wanted one back in my Honda days. Front tires have more wear on the passenger side, so clearly that's where it slips. Very excited about this upgrade. I just did a diff install on my 88 Jeep, so I'm going to tackle the LSD in the DSG. Should be interesting. I haven't seen a how to thread like this, so I'll make one when this happens.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
DSG + Diff = lifechanger. Good luck on doing the install, I paid a shop...16 hours later.

zrickety

The Fixer
Thanks. It's here! Looks like it bolts up to my existing ring gear. Hopefully won't need to do any shimming. Now to set aside some time to disassemble the DSG...

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Thanks. It's here! Looks like it bolts up to my existing ring gear. Hopefully won't need to do any shimming. Now to set aside some time to disassemble the DSG...

Nice - I had an MFactory LSD installed on my MkV a couple years after going K04 - should have done it at same time as K04 - makes such a huge diff on track.

Too much of a job for me.

zrickety

The Fixer
Nice - I had an MFactory LSD installed on my MkV a couple years after going K04 - should have done it at same time as K04 - makes such a huge diff on track.

Too much of a job for me.
Wow. Are they rivets and not bolts? Curious why he is using a grinder.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Wow. Are they rivets and not bolts? Curious why he is using a grinder.

Rivets which you replace with the supplied bolt kit. He sent me the pic, not sure why the grinder, I would have drilled them out on a press but whatever they did it works great and they have done a lot of them. Looking forward to finally getting my car back with all the new mods so I can use it again. I replaced all of the DSG plates with a stock kit while it was out and open. Wanted to go Dodson but cost for parts was about 2200.00 more than the stock clutches. My labor cost was about 1400 for all. Original quote was 1200 for just the LSD which included any seals, gaskets and fluid. The MFactory LSD went in late 2015 or early 2016.

This is off manual but ring gear is riveted in place in either.
This is a pic from one of HYDE16's great informational posts.

Last edited: