GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

hpamotorsport tune

Turn8

Ready to race!
This is a good question, and one we should be able to discuss openly.

The ECU does have adjustability for octane, but this is a downward adjustment, not up. Meaning, the tuner could set ignition higher than possible to achieve with 93 octane. If 100 octane is run, it will achieve the higher requested ignition advance and make more power. If 93 is used, it will knock and adapt to a lower value.

This has it's limits. You cannot calibrate the base ignition map for 104 octane and expect everything to be fine when a customer runs 91 octane, or God forbid, something much lower. Therefor the limit of ignition adjustabiltiy is quite slim as to not risk premature destruction of the engine.

This "auto" method is limited in both the range of adjustment and what it's adjusting (in this case, ignition).

That's the difference.

You may be correct. However, what I don't understand is that my car runs flawlessly on both 91 and 100 octane (I haven't been brave enough to put 87 octane in the tank). Moreover, it make an additional 10whp and 38wtq when using 100 octane over 91 octane.

If it is impossible to Tune for 100 and run 91 (which I do 95% of the time) why am I not have any issues on the street and track?

Mike

Turn8

Ready to race!
I just don't understand why anybody would buy HPA tune.

Precisely…
That’s what I thought.

However, you are more than welcome to read my review thread and compare my dyno results with actual customer dyno results from the other major Tuners. You may be surprise to find how similar the power numbers are.

Mike

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
Hey turn8, can you post some logs or graphs of pump vs race gas? I would love to see the CF and ignition on the different types of fuel

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I think Evan pointed out something very important that everyone should know.

This car has no octane sensor. Thus it cannot advance its own timing to make more power difference between 91,93, and 100 octane.

It would be the same running 100octane on a 91 file. The power difference would be merely a quality of gas difference.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I wonder if the Bosch MED17 has octane controlling capabilities? As in adding an octane sensor. Evan could you elaborate on if it does?

Talk a out an awesome break through. A SELF tuning tune?

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Never mind. Only seems like there is flex fuel sensors.

ImAuthenticFTW

Go Kart Champion
No contradictions. HPA is offering features unavailable with most other Tunes (or, you have to pay for them). In addition, they are his most local Tuner since he will be uploading the software at his home.

I may only be one person but, I have shared my dyno information...Stock, HPA Tuned, HPA Tuned 91 octane w/ APR Carbonio Intake, and HPA Tuned 100 octane w/ APR Carbonio Intake.

Mike

not going to happen btw, He will have to go to a dealer and get his ECU removed and bench flashed

Turn8

Ready to race!
^^^^
Got you. He'd have to mail it in then...

I think Evan pointed out something very important that everyone should know.

This car has no octane sensor. Thus it cannot advance its own timing to make more power difference between 91,93, and 100 octane.

It would be the same running 100octane on a 91 file. The power difference would be merely a quality of gas difference.

Can the quality of gas can translate into an increase of 10whp and 38wtq?

Mike

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
^^^^
Got you. He'd have to mail it in then...

Can the quality of gas can translate into an increase of 10whp and 38wtq?

Mike

Depends if you're forcing the car to pull timing for a lower grade octane.

But to answer your question fairly, no if everything is controlled.