GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is your A/C any good?

eight_heads

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm in southern Louisiana and I haven't had any problems so far. Mine cools very quickly and I usually keep the fan on either 1 or 2...

jbetts1790

Ready to race!
It's been a rough winter, so I haven't used A/C since I bought the car in Sept, but it worked great then

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
mine has been ice cold, however, havent used it after this harsh winter we had here in NEPA

might be in for a suprise in the coming weeks/months :/

pngorba

Ready to race!
I had a 2009 Jetta TDI that wouldn't start cooling for several minutes just like yours. The dealer replaced the compressor & all was well again.

emk6

Ready to race!
AC blows in this car. I have a habit of having the windows rolled down using my key fob before I get in the car.

JT641

Banned
Like has been said already put window up a windshield screen especially if your car will be parked any where near direct sun light when outside & crack open a window or 2 or the sunroof as heat rises upwards. That being said mine won't start blowing cold for about 5 minutes But what makes it get cold faster is driving at freeway speeds (But it never blows hot air). But it's overall performance isn't as good as any of my previous cars & trucks (last 2 2008 Pontiac G6 GT V6 & 1997 GMC Sonoma V6 Truck) But it will still get cold enough to keep me comfortable. You also need to remember to change your cabin filters on a regular basis as this will affect the Air Quality & Efficiency of your HVAC system (your intervals for this will vary depending on the climate in which you live). Also make sure it is set on recirculate So it's not pulling hot air from the outside.

Last edited:

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
You might be low on refrigerant. One of the lines had a small pin-hole leak and eventually was useless. I had this issue last year around this time. Get it checked out at the stealership if you're still under warranty. Better hope they don't blame it on the F23T setup. LOL

JerrBear

Ready to race!
This, for me at least. Chicago gets hot and muggy in the summer and I've taken my car down to the South (KY, TN, GA, the Carolina's VA and West VA) and the Southwest (UT, AZ, NM, TX, OK). Temps sometimes above 100* and my AC handled it like a champ. Rarely have to turn it above 2 and or set temp lower than 72 (I have Climactic). If you park outside during the day, it helps if you crack the windows a bit or tilt your sunroof up (if you have one). It's the best car AC I've ever had.

Disclaimer - first time I went to use it this spring and - nothing. 4 months out of warranty. Took it in and dealer refilled the R134 and didn't charge me. They injected die but couldn't find any leak. Told me to monitor it and bring it back in a few weeks and they'll check it again.

But other than that, it's been a tremendous AC for me in some of the hottest, muggiest parts of the country.

This^2
It's getting pretty hot in SoCal (I have a black GTI sitting in the sun) and what I do is roll down all 4 windows all the way, drive pretty damn fast for a few minutes and let the hot air cycle out before I turn the a/c on and then after it gets cool I close the windows. Has been working pretty well. If it's a short drive it's more effective to just roll down all the windows rather than wait for the the a/c to kick in

McSwine

Ready to race!
It can get to be a hot and humid MF here in Little Rock and I would describe my A/C as "adequate". The air gets plenty cold but it just doesn't have good airflow. The wife's 2006 RAV4's air is exponentially better.

trev1342

Go Kart Champion
My AC gets ice cold and cools the cabin quickly.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
So I see that we're getting a mixed response here. Some say its amazing while some say it's terrible like I have.

I really don't want to have a laundry list of things to check off an do just to get a TAD bit cooler air. Either there is something wrong with my specific car or others haven't tried a GOOD A/C from a different make/model.

I think the best route for me is to go check a brand new 2014 out and see how it cools and then make a decision whether or not I have a faulty part somewhere. (I wouldn't mind, I bought bumper to bumper warranty to 80k miles or 8 years so I mind as well use it)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
You will always get ppl that say it's awesome, those are the ppl that didn't have AC before :laugh:

JT641

Banned
So I see that we're getting a mixed response here. Some say its amazing while some say it's terrible like I have.

I really don't want to have a laundry list of things to check off an do just to get a TAD bit cooler air. Either there is something wrong with my specific car or others haven't tried a GOOD A/C from a different make/model.

I think the best route for me is to go check a brand new 2014 out and see how it cools and then make a decision whether or not I have a faulty part somewhere. (I wouldn't mind, I bought bumper to bumper warranty to 80k miles or 8 years so I mind as well use it)

Like I said
1 Is your A/C set to recirculate when you turn it on

2 When was the last time your Cabin Filters Were Changed

Remember any restriction in Air Flow will Effect the Efficiency of your A/C Just like the Air Filter in your car intake will do the same for your Engine!!