GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel offset - I'm guessing won't work

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
There is lots of wheel offset info on the web and I have read a bunch but I still don't know if the following plan will cause rubbing. I'm pretty sure it will poke but the Q is will that rub with stock suspension?

17x8, 35et plus 20mm adapter (5x112 to 5x100) so effectively 15mm offset.

I will never lower. Will I rub under extreme suspension activity?

Will poking out that much look bad or will it look aggressive?

Thanks

ongteckweng

Wont work for Mk6R...i am using 18in x 8.5JJ ET44 and its already poking with 225/40R18 tires. Urs plan will make ur car like pickup...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

ongteckweng

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
Too much, When I ran 18x8.5 et45, I had to run -3 in the rear. Fronts were ok. This was lowered though. When I went back to 18x8 et48, I had no problems and was able to get it to an acceptable camber

VMR V810 18x8.5 et45

Advan RS 18x8 et48

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
Too much, When I ran 18x8.5 et45, I had to run -3 in the rear. Fronts were ok. This was lowered though. When I went back to 18x8 et48, I had no problems and was able to get it to an acceptable camber

VMR V810 18x8.5 et45

Advan RS 18x8 et48

Do you have a side view with the Advan?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
45 is perfect for most "sporting"/functional applications, 15 will be way too much. 35 can work with the right suspension and tire, depends on what your goals are.

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
With that being said, a redrill is around $200- so not too bad.

This! I wondered if it was possible to just change the hubs to different wheel pattern instead of using an adapter. What kind of shop can do this? Regular mechanic shop? I'll call around locally once I know the kind of shop.

Going this route means using 35mm offset wheels and no adapter, so lets continue the discussion about whether that can work. I currently have 225/45R-17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 on the wheels.

I also just realized I goofed and the rims are 17x7.5 (not 17x8), so that brings the outer edge back in about 6mm, am I right? So with a redrill I'm looking at outer edge being about 10mm (51-35-6 =10) further out than stock wheels if I did that right.

Am I in the green now? :D

Thanks for everyone's input, I appreciate them all!

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed

VMR V810 18x8.5 et45

Advan RS 18x8 et48

I like the look you achieved! The wheels do seem further out than stock and I like that look. Obviously lowering the car impacts the look based on ride height and the whole camber thing to the wheels.

I think seeing a bit more tire and wheel makes it look suitably aggressive, but I'm sure the comments that 15mm offset would have looked real bad.

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
Is there any chance of issue with not clearing the caliper with the rims in question?

Here are the specific rims, which should help alleviate any miscommunication here since I also seem to have mistakenly reported 35mm when they apparently are actually 38mm. Late night posts, sigh. So actual calculation is rim edge being 7mm further out than stock. Sounds like a winner to me.

http://www.maperformance.com/products/pf01-17x7-5-5x100-38mm-offset-silver-wheel-by-enkei

Last edited:

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
Is there any chance of issue with not clearing the caliper with the rims in question?

Here are the specific rims, which should help alleviate any miscommunication here since I also seem to have mistakenly reported 35mm when they apparently are actually 38mm. Late night posts, sigh. So actual calculation is rim edge being 7mm further out than stock. Sounds like a winner to me.

http://www.maperformance.com/products/pf01-17x7-5-5x100-38mm-offset-silver-wheel-by-enkei

Shouldn't have a problem with inner clearance. Any reason you're going with 17s? If you'd like some Enkei's, you can get some Enkei Raijin 18x8 et45 for $210/wheel. They'll fit without any problem.

Link to Wheel

If you're looking at the PF01 specific, they do make a 17x8 et50 that's 5x112. This would fit similar to stock.

Last edited: