GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel offset - I'm guessing won't work

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
Glad to hear 17" et38 won't touch the calipers. Thx.

Going with 17s for 4 reasons
1. I already own them - they are 5x100 previously used on the TT I'm selling
2. 17s are lighter - better performance/mileage
3. 17s provide nicer ride - I live in a city with horrible roads
4. 17" tires are cheaper, keeps a regular maintenance item a bit lower in cost

I called a Machine Shop locally and they said roughly 2+ hrs at $110CAD/hr to drill hubs but they couldn't say over the phone if they would want to take the job due to liability. Willing to look at it though. That's something. I'll wait till spring obviously before doing this and I will update this thread if they can go through with it.

Last edited:

TakmaN

Ready to race!
Best I got.

Man that is sex on sexy wheels...

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
Interesting. Let me update you all on what I have learned.

1. The wheel bolts go thru the hub and into holes that exist in the rotor - meaning if I am to re-drill thru hub and rotor (more work than just drilling hub), I would have to do this again any time I replace the rotors.

2. There is a set screw holding the hub to the rotor. Machine shop would have to drill through that and then it may mean having more difficulty lining up hub with rotor holes when changing wheels.

3. VW Parts guy told me the way the stock hub attaches to the rotor is different from how the 5x100 hubs attach to their rotor counterparts so it is likely very difficult to find parts that would work to go that route to avoid re-drilling.

So basically my next step is to ascertain how soon my rotors will need replacing and whether I will have the option of just machining them at the time of replacing the pads. This will determine whether it would be a bad investment to drill them this year vs waiting until the next time I replace the rotors.

Skychan

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll check to see if the wheels can be redrilled but from reading around the web it looks like that is highly dependent on the specific wheel (about whether that wheel can maintain it's full strength and structural integrity with holes added). Another option is filling the existing holes and drilling. All at the risk of wrecking some very expensive and beautiful wheels. Though I do expect machine shops are very good at what they do.

I definitely won't be able to afford buying the wheels I want outright with the way the Canadian dollar is. I'm much more inclined to drill either the wheels or the hubs/rotors.