GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coolant system flushed and refilled, Thermostat still overheating!

JDel91

Yesterday I was driving around and I noticed my thermostat jumping way up and my coolant alert was going off. So I went to my local dealership and got my coolant system flushed and refilled, but my thermostat is still jumping up a bit.

I'm thinking it's one of 3 things, either my thermostat is going bad, the water pump is bad, or there is air in my system.

I bought my mk6 with 87k miles, currently has 89k miles on it now.

any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Sorry! I posted this in the wrong section! Mods feel free to remove from this section

Last edited:

lukesGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Any reason the dealer flushed your coolant?

Overheating, Could be any of these..

-Check that your fans are cycling (If not check your fuse in position 19 for your radiator fans, check your thermoswitch is functioning on lower radiator, or check the fan motor itself)

-Check that you're not low on coolant and that the concentration is 50/50.

-Clogged coolant hoses or plugged radiator. If it only over heats at highway speeds sometimes the lower radiator hose collapses at highway speeds.

-Thermostat is stuck closed

-Radiator fins could be full of bugs/ dirt etc; clean it out.

-Worn out water pump thus not being able to circulate coolant correctly.

jettaglis

Go Kart Champion
I work at a dealer and totally do not get why you wouldn't get the vehicle diagnosed but instead just asked them to do a coolant flush. Did you really think a coolant flush would fix your overheating? Like the previous poster put up, it's probably a thermostat or water pump issue.
Should you start by throwing a thermostat in there, no... get it diagnosed.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Take it back where you bought it from and have them look at it(since you've only had it for 2k miles). Or to a dealer/mechanic and say X Y and Z are happening.