GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC light and Flashing CEL

icloudfiles

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys, i was doing 80+ on the highway in a torrential down pour when my EPC light came on and the car went into limp mode. I pulled over to the side and turned the car off and tried to start it back on and it was hesitating to start but finally did and it smelled like fuel and i got a flashing CEL. I plugged in the obd tool and it showed cyl 4 misfire. So i removed the coil and replaced it with a new one (i had a spare in trunk) and tried to crank it again and same thing. So i replaced the coil back to the old one.

I sat around for a bit calling auto shops to see if any were open. Found one about 2 miles away. Tried to crank again and same thing, hesitation for a while but finally started and there was a lot of white smoke that came out of the exhaust. It actually drove fine to the shop (not limp mode). I pulled in to the shop and they said the car is totally fine and that clearing the codes was all i needed to do and it could be a lot of reasons why the EPC light came on:

1. Bad fuel
2. Leaking fuel injector
3. Water from the Rain could have gone in????
4. Coil could be going bad.

Please advice if you have experienced anything like this and what other possibilities it could be and what precautions i could take. The car has been driving fine and its been atleast another 200 miles since..

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
When's the last time you replaced spark plugs?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I'd get someone with Vagcom to scan it for you. White smoke pouring from your exhaust is never a good sign. They shouldn't have cleared the codes either

jayczer0one

Ready to race!
Hi guys, i was doing 80+ on the highway in a torrential down pour when my EPC light came on and the car went into limp mode. I pulled over to the side and turned the car off and tried to start it back on and it was hesitating to start but finally did and it smelled like fuel and i got a flashing CEL. I plugged in the obd tool and it showed cyl 4 misfire. So i removed the coil and replaced it with a new one (i had a spare in trunk) and tried to crank it again and same thing. So i replaced the coil back to the old one.

I sat around for a bit calling auto shops to see if any were open. Found one about 2 miles away. Tried to crank again and same thing, hesitation for a while but finally started and there was a lot of white smoke that came out of the exhaust. It actually drove fine to the shop (not limp mode). I pulled in to the shop and they said the car is totally fine and that clearing the codes was all i needed to do and it could be a lot of reasons why the EPC light came on:

1. Bad fuel
2. Leaking fuel injector
3. Water from the Rain could have gone in????
4. Coil could be going bad.

Please advice if you have experienced anything like this and what other possibilities it could be and what precautions i could take. The car has been driving fine and its been atleast another 200 miles since..

Did you ever found out what happened? And what you did to fix the problem? Happened to me exactly. Got 2 cylinder misfire codes. Im still waiting on mg coilpack and spark plugs replacements.

Thanks!
-jay