GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP PLEASE: Steering wheel shake after installing new wheels/tires

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Per the shop, wheels are ball seat so they used the stock nuts. They even threw in a set of ball seat locks for free. How can I tell if they have a road force bala nce machine? So for the dumb question.

I wouldnt worry about it anymore. They admitted they used the wrong size hub rings and everything else has been ruled out. Enjoy your new wheels.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
So what does that mean when it vibrates only when accelerating hard above 60mph?

The shop purchased aluminum hub centric rings to be shipped to me. I purchased plastic ones too in case it may be too tight from the same merchant.

I'm really hoping that the the rings installed are a bit smaller than it should be which causes the vibration when accelerating hard at higher speed.

It doesnt matter if they are plastic or aluminum as long as they are the correct size for both the inner and outer diameter. What is the hub bore for your Rotiforms? Probably 66.6?

ducatiti

Ready to race!
It doesnt matter if they are plastic or aluminum as long as they are the correct size for both the inner and outer diameter. What is the hub bore for your Rotiforms? Probably 66.6?

Per Rotiform's site, 66.5 but 66.6 was ordered. Hopefully it will fit :) Sometimes I regret going aftermarket now....If I can't get this right, I'm selling it and going back to stock.

Thank you for your responses. You have helped a lot.

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Per Rotiform's site, 66.5 but 66.6 was ordered. Hopefully it will fit :) Sometimes I regret going aftermarket now....If I can't get this right, I'm selling it and going back to stock.

Thank you for your responses. You have helped a lot.

Thanks. I think you will be fine. Report back when you get the new hubs installed

mamock116

Ready to race!
I had some bad vibration at higher speeds after i got new tires recently as well. Believe it or not rotating the tires and getting an alignment fixed the issue. Or at least that is what the shop said they did.

tdiatlast

Passed Driver's Ed
Alignment? With new tires/ wheels/spacers, an alignment is a must. Cheap, compared to trashed tires, which can't heal themselves. Of course, after you get the spacer issue worked out.

Flat spot after sitting? Highly unlikely, unless the car sat for days and days. Even then, once warmed up, shouldn't be an issue.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Alignment? With new tires/ wheels/spacers, an alignment is a must. Cheap, compared to trashed tires, which can't heal themselves. Of course, after you get the spacer issue worked out.

Flat spot after sitting? Highly unlikely, unless the car sat for days and days. Even then, once warmed up, shouldn't be an issue.

Considering an alignment when the new rings does not work.

Prior to the wheel swap, there was not vibration evident. Having a different sized set would affect the alignment?

_Remy_

Passed Driver's Ed
I feel your pain as I'm going through the same nonsense on a set of neuspeeds. I've had the car aligned twice and wheels balanced 4x but no luck. Originally thought it was the suspension as I changed that at the same time as the wheels/tires.

I'm going through the tedious process of swapping out one neuspeed wheel at a time to isolate the problem. So yeah, i'm sporting mis-matching wheels now.

411big

Ready to race!
I've gone through the same situation, but with factory wheels and tires! The dealer didn't want to take any responsibility for it even tho I brought it up during the test drive.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
That sounds scary. I'm keeping the Laguna's for now till I sort this out. Any updates would be great.

ducatiti

Ready to race!
EJB,

I will be working on my car tonight installing the new rings.

Should I rotate the wheels front-back or just install the rings to isolate the problem?

What do you think? Figure to do two things within one attempt to fix it? ;)

Last edited:

ducatiti

Ready to race!
Thanks EJB for your kind assistance and patience.

New rings eliminated the vibration totally!

Purchased both polycarbonate and aluminum versions. Which one do you prefer and why?

iAhhMaze

Go Kart Champion

Purchased both polycarbonate and aluminum versions. Which one do you prefer and why?

Good to hear!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion

No problem, glad everything worked out. Ive only used the plastic ones because thats what all my wheels have come with. Never had any issues with them.