GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Personalized Vinyls and 3D printed accessories

Which FrankenTurbo Vinyl Badge is your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zrickety

The Fixer
Agree with checking if the red light is illegal. Looks like Rudolph, maybe paint a little black on that outer ring.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I actually intend on doing it green to match my car but since the majority of the people here don't care for/have the green scheme I did it in red. I also agree about the red ring drawing attention b/c it's the wrong red. I'm working on getting some time consuming prints done for another order, but this weekend I'll be printing the new version and in green/black to match my car.

I'll work on getting a better red also but I've got to use what I have on something too, so it's great for testing.

I've thought the same thing about my LED but I drove red for over a year and had green for about 2mos and just switched back to red for these pics. I see cops regularly and can't believe not one has even given me a warning. I'll probably get a ticket for it next time I drive though lol

klomp10

Here is the first finished print. I used black and red ABS. There was some oozing of the black filament in the red ring but it was minimal. Next time I'll turn the extrusion temperature down a ~5* and see if that takes care of it. I'm really happy with the outcome and will probably vapor polish this today because I don't like that the tool paths in the black seemed to go astray of rectilinear on the left side of the T.

Try using an ooze shield when you're printing. Just a thin wall that encompasses your object about 2mm out from your printed object. Whenever I'm doing dual extrusion it helps a lot with drips.

For the badges have you tried printing on glass and have the outer part of the badge print first? Should result in a smooth face without acetone and would work well with PLA.

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Try using an ooze shield when you're printing. Just a thin wall that encompasses your object about 2mm out from your printed object. Whenever I'm doing dual extrusion it helps a lot with drips.

For the badges have you tried printing on glass and have the outer part of the badge print first? Should result in a smooth face without acetone and would work well with PLA.

Thanks!
I do use an ooze shield but I think I had my extruder temp too hot. So it didn't catch everything.

I'm using buildtak as my bed surface ATM I don't like glass beds b/c of the need for glue or hairspray, I've got laptop tape to try out for that glass like finish. The reason I'm using the acetone is more for the removal of the tool paths that you can see not the texture. I'm trying to get away from PLA though b/c it's biodegradable and I don't want badges failing over time. But I love the simplicity of printing quality parts with it.

I've still got a lot to learn though. I'd love to chat more about your experience, it sounds like you could teach me a few things [emoji106]

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
Anyone who has already purchased badges and would like them in the new Red please contact me via PM and I'll work with you to get the new color at a discounted rate [emoji106]

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
I've been busy with some other things but thought I would share pics of the latest badge. I've done everything I can do to the printer to control ooze. I believe it's an issue with the filament at this point not sure if it's the brand or just this roll but I'll be trying out hatchbox filament going forward. Unfortunately I do have to use my supply up first so if you're looking for anything even if it's not for your GTI let me know I can make some deals to get through this stock and pay for new materials that will hopefully play with dual extrusion better. Aside from the oozing problem I'm having with this badge inland filament hasn't let me down in any way, if it had I wouldn't use it for anything I sell. I hope to have repeat business and selling subpar materials isn't a sustainable model for that!

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
^Personally I like the design on the right as the VW logo in the eye is immediately recognizable (and pops) where as in the design on the left you sort of have to look at it for a moment to see it. Pretty neat design.