GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR k04, intake, exhaust + Godspeed intercooler

KDearduff

Ready to race!
I'm copying this over from my post on a local vw forum (swov.org). Recently ordered and received the APR k04 kit, apr intake, apr exhaust, south bend stage 2 clutch, and Godspeed v2 intercooler. I'll hand wrenches to a friend from the local forum this weekend and get all but the clutch and tune in, and hope to get those two things in shortly after.

Project MK6 K04 has received the greenlight. I'll start adding pictures and such as parts begin to arrive.

***UPDATED WITH NEW PICS BELOW*** 7/13/2012

Bought
APR turboback exhaust (gracias, Drew)
APR S3 K04 turbo system
APR Carbonio intake
South Bend stage 2 daily clutch and flywheel
Godspeed V2 Intercooler

Decisions still to be made:[/]
LSD
Upgraded motor mounts

If you happen to see someone have a sale or better price on the items above than the places I have listed I am planning to buy from, let me know. Likewise, if you have any experience with the parts above and recommend something different, give me a holla. More to come...

Received a bunch of goodies in the mail today. The turbo, intake, and clutch all arrived. Intercooler should be in early next week. Onto the pictures...

APR 3" RSC Exhaust - stock image

As my 'new-to-me' unit sits in the basement

APR Carbonio Intake - stock image

As delivered

South Bend Stage 2 Daily clutch - stock image

As delivered

APR S3 K04 Conversion Kit - stock image

Upon opening the box

And out of the box

Stock picture of Godspeed V2 Intercooler

As received

I must say I was very, very impressed with how well the APR stuff was packed. Clean, professional, installation manuals neatly packed, etc. Very top notch, which I would expect at the prices these pieces cost. The South Bend clutch gave me a worry when I saw the box graphic "1969-2009 - 40 year Anniversary". 2009, huh? I know they had issues with the early Silent editions of their clutches, but I'm hoping this non-silent version works out. Not too many clutch options for the TSI. It was packed well, essentially sealed in some kind of insullating foam. Made it a bit tricky to open, but it appeared to be in perfect condition. Now I'm just waiting on the intercooler to arrive next week and it's off to Richard's house to get this shit installed, then to Dubwerks for the clutch and ECU flash. Can't wait!!

Update: fluids arrived from APR for the conversion, and the intercooler arrived as well. Once again, the APR stuff was boxed very nicely and professionally. The Godspeed intercooler, purchased for $445 on EBay from 'Racing in Paradise' was not boxed quite so carefully, but was double boxed in thick cardboard and arrived in good shape (the intercooler sells for $650 directly from the Godspeed website). It may be hard to tell in the pictures, but the core is really big. I tried to capture any minor imperfections I could so you could compare to name-brand units, but other than minor cosmetic flaws the unit looks good and feels solid. Hopefully it performs well for me as it has for other guys on the national forums.

So, I now have all the parts together, just need to get stuff installed.

reillyse

Go Kart Champion
Where in Ohio are u located? I am not a member of swov because i think they stopped accepting new members. Good to hear about another local k04. My buddy Cody on here also has a k04'd mkvi GLI. Good luck with the build!!

MKV727

Go Kart Champion
So why the splurge of APR goodies and then the random budget-friendly godspeed intercooler? Didn't like the APR one? I don't dare say it was out of your budget with the other items listed....

$600 difference... Although if you're going all APR I agree.

The GSP v2 looks good in those photos... Looks more stout than my S3 that's for sure.

KDearduff

Ready to race!
Where in Ohio are u located? I am not a member of swov because i think they stopped accepting new members. Good to hear about another local k04. My buddy Cody on here also has a k04'd mkvi GLI. Good luck with the build!!

I'm just east of cincy, but a lot of folks on swov are from Dayton. Try making an account. I believe registration was just recently opened, as we have had several new members join lately.

KDearduff

Ready to race!
So why the splurge of APR goodies and then the random budget-friendly godspeed intercooler? Didn't like the APR one? I don't dare say it was out of your budget with the other items listed....

I considered several options, from the S3 to the APR core, before going with the Godspeed unit. Though of course Price was a consideration, it was more a decision based on my perception that there is a certain price/performance point of diminishing returns. Let's assume the APR is the best, and we know for sure it is the most expensive. Let's again assume it performs the best under the most extreme conditions. Knowing I will likely never track my car, do I really need to spend $1K on an intercooler when other k04 guys are running options at less than half the cost? Will I ever see the benefit of the extra size of the APR core vs the Godspeed core? If the apr core runs 5 degrees cooler, will I realize a noticeable performance improvement over the Godspeed core? I am cool with paying a premium if I think it will provide me with a benefit I will value, thus the apr turbo and intake. I would have likely bought an eBay downpipe and shopped for a good deal on a catback, or even kept the stock catback, had a local guy not been selling his full apr exhaust for a good price.

JT641

Banned
How's the car running, I'd like to know how the install of the Godspeed V2 IC went and any tips to those planning on installing one. I'm going to install one after I get my stage 2 tune the end of this month.

KDearduff

Ready to race!
How's the car running, I'd like to know how the install of the Godspeed V2 IC went and any tips to those planning on installing one. I'm going to install one after I get my stage 2 tune the end of this month.

Engine and exhaust parts are going in this weekend, and I'm going to schedule time for clutch and flash right after. I'll post up how the install this weekend goes once it happens.

allset

Go Kart Champion
what the hell is that black oval thing coming off the N75? or is that just holding up the ko4?

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I have been running the Godspeed intercooler for almost a year with no issues and no heat soak. Fit great as well.

JT641

Banned
Engine and exhaust parts are going in this weekend, and I'm going to schedule time for clutch and flash right after. I'll post up how the install this weekend goes once it happens.

Keep Us Posted, You mite consider doing a build thread?.

I have been running the Godspeed intercooler for almost a year with no issues and no heat soak. Fit great as well.

Glad to here it, that's what I'm going with! as well!!.

Last edited:

crew219

Banned