GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

blinking check engine light

dimi_108

The GTI Collector
i had CELs a while back, and the mechanic replaced the coil packs, spark plugs, did compression tests, and still didn't make the CEL go away. they said the only way to find out was to look at the injectors. i told them to go ahead, and when they got there the injectors were clogged up with carbon build up. they replaced all 4.

luckily for me, it was covered under the extended warranty and VW sent me a check!
Thanks for chiming in mate. Was your car still driveable when your cel lights would flash or be solid etc?

blingdub

Go Kart Newbie
it was flashing initially, and then it went solid. while this happened i bought a scan tool to know exactly what it was -- misfires in cylinders. likely culprits was coil packs and spark plugs, so i ordered them.

not even before my order can show up on my door step my car started shaking violently, and the MFI had a warning message along the lines of "SERVICE ENGINE NOW!" (i actually think it had the exclamation mark).

mechanic swapped packs and plugs. it fixed the violent shaking, but the CEL came back on a couple days later. that's when i got the injectors replaced. rock solid ever since *knock on wood*.

long story short, "german reliability" = don't you even think about driving your car when the CEL is on.

golfgti_tr

Ready to race!
I replaced 4 coil pack and sorted out the problem.

Hey mate, what was the cause of this? Going through the same thing at the moment. Flashing CEL here and there then it goes away. I changed my coil packs to red tops from ECS and spark plugs about 5,000 miles ago.

Give us an update? :D