GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gear indicator gone?

StockBox

So I was driving to work today and for some reason midway through my transit I noticed my gear indicator in the MFI was blank. (No PRNDS or Wrench) after I got off work it was back to normal but once again half way home, it went blank again. I do drive somewhat aggressively sometimes, but most times I'm sluggish before and after work. Anyone have this happen before? Is my transmission going bad? I can still shift through the gears and it's not slamming or anything, even switching 1-6 Manually.

Edit: Forgot to add, it is an automatic 2.5L 5 Cylinder.

Last edited:

JonnysChillCousin

Ready to race!
So I was driving to work today and for some reason midway through my transit I noticed my gear indicator in the MFI was blank. (No PRNDS or Wrench) after I got off work it was back to normal but once again half way home, it went blank again. I do drive somewhat aggressively sometimes, but most times I'm sluggish before and after work. Anyone have this happen before? Is my transmission going bad? I can still shift through the gears and it's not slamming or anything, even switching 1-6 Manually.

Yup, its just the age of the car showing. Probably TCU related and getting hot when you push it, and dis-functioning. Don't push it so hard, coming to 8 years old.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion

Did you have you car scan for any fault codes in the TCM. When the indicator goes blank it can be your Park/ Neutral switch located on top of the transmission could be going bad or corrosion on the connector housing.The wrench mean its time for your oil change it's a reminder maintenance light, that not your check engine light.

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
That always happens on mine it goes away and comes back every once in a while don't worry about it

StockBox

Did you have you car scan for any fault codes in the TCM. When the indicator goes blank it can be your Park/ Neutral switch located on top of the transmission could be going bad or corrosion on the connector housing.The wrench mean its time for your oil change it's a reminder maintenance light, that not your check engine light.

I haven't had it scanned, was considering that next. Just trying to make sure the indicator disappearing won't make things worse with light driving as this is my only way to and from work right now. It seems to be fine right now as it hasn't gone back off since the 2nd time. I'll try and get it scanned in the next few days and see what comes of it.

JonnysChillCousin

Ready to race!
I haven't had it scanned, was considering that next. Just trying to make sure the indicator disappearing won't make things worse with light driving as this is my only way to and from work right now. It seems to be fine right now as it hasn't gone back off since the 2nd time. I'll try and get it scanned in the next few days and see what comes of it.

There won't be anything coming up when you scan it. Unless you get a CEL. Push it hard and you'll see it will disappear, then come back. It's a fairly common thing with the aging MK5 2.5s as well.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
His check engine doesn't have to be lite but still store it in the TCM as pending fault. Don't listen to people stating it normal and keep driving it.There is something wrong with your car, have it check it before it leaves you stranded. Just because it only does it sometime doesn't mean there is nothing wrong with it.

StockBox

There won't be anything coming up when you scan it. Unless you get a CEL. Push it hard and you'll see it will disappear, then come back. It's a fairly common thing with the aging MK5 2.5s as well.

I don't want to say I don't believe this, but it's hard because when doing multiple searches through google and here on mk6 I can't find much at all about it.

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
I don't want to say I don't believe this, but it's hard because when doing multiple searches through google and here on mk6 I can't find much at all about it.

The reason you don't find anything will tell you it not normal. A lot of people are not having this problem so I suggest is take it to have your Trans module check for any codes.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
I know with a manual when the gear indicator disappears it's a good sign your clutch is slipping, but I'm not sure what that might mean with an auto.

StockBox

The reason you don't find anything will tell you it not normal. A lot of people are not having this problem so I suggest is take it to have your Trans module check for any codes.

Makes sense. Thank you for the recommendation. Going to take it in for a scan tomorrow. I'll report the results once I'm done.

zVp

Go Kart Champion
Did you move around in the MFI options (move to phone, navigation, settings, etc.)?

I find that if you move around, sometimes some of the indicators disappear and appear again after a bit (not sure if it's a memory thing, or just some sort of technical limitation), but I'm not sure about the gear indicator if it affects that too.

StockBox

Did you move around in the MFI options (move to phone, navigation, settings, etc.)?

I find that if you move around, sometimes some of the indicators disappear and appear again after a bit (not sure if it's a memory thing, or just some sort of technical limitation), but I'm not sure about the gear indicator if it affects that too.

It happened at random, I did mess with the MFI to see if it would come back but it only came back once the car was on for a few hours. It happened 3 times in total in the last few days, but hasn't in the past 24 hours and I drove quite a bit yesterday. I'm still going to have it scanned tomorrow and hopefully there will be a solution or explanation for why it disappeared on me on those occasions.

I'd like to add that so far, nothing in particular seems to cause it to happen, the transmission feels perfect, (in a rush) I had to be a little less gentle on it while it was warming up the other day and it didn't disappear. the first time It did I was being a little aggressive. The second time I was in cruise control. So it's starting to sound like an electrical issue that hopefully the scan will help solve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StockBox

So I had the car scanned and the only code was a P2188 - System too rich off idle bank 1.

Now Im not sure if these two issues are due to the same thing, just because I went to go to the store today, and it came on mid-drive. Only about a 10 minute drive.

Any ideas?

Gti For Me

Go Kart Champion
So I had the car scanned and the only code was a P2188 - System too rich off idle bank 1.

Now Im not sure if these two issues are due to the same thing, just because I went to go to the store today, and it came on mid-drive. Only about a 10 minute drive.

Any ideas?

No there are not related. Did they scan the transmission module or just the engine control module.