GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What car did you almost get over the GTI.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
me too. before this 2011. closest i ever came to signing before leaving. the salesman took took long with another customer and i cooled off on the purchase. (I was waiting 1.5 hours to get waited on to finish my paperwork and came in with an appt..)

Yea my sales guy agreed on the price. I had my check book ready. Said he just had to confirm with the manager. Came back shook my hand and told me he could no longer sell me the car, and to have a nice day. Heard the manager cursing and screaming at him, so I guess he got in trouble for the price he agreed to. Who knows, but totally unprofessional. Worked out in the end.

P

plac

i've had 3 Xterra's and still have our 2009 now. But at this point, its a 2006 design and too stale. I am looking forward to the next revision of the Xterra when I look for the next vehicle. Maybe to shop side by side to the Wrangler which is my favorite. The Xterra is very loud, raw. the Wrangler is much quieter engine and drivetrain.

sdecker

Passed Driver's Ed
I had $50K max allotted to a new car, and had no interest in looking at any of the ricer cars from the orient (so flame me).

After test driving maybe 15 different new cars 1K mi over 8mos, it came down to a new (or finding CPO to my spec) 335 coupe (or 135 if it wasn't so fugly) vs the GTI at half the price. Went back & forth for days between the dealers driving both back-to-back and concluded that, aside from straight line power, the GTI was the near-equal, in some real-world ways notably better, and was free from the 'tude of BMW ownership. Steering, gearbox, street ride/handling balance, ergos, engine flexibility all key for me and mostly a draw. Dynaudio stereo a LOT better, but BMW sport-pkg seats unbeatable.

Still wince when I see a 335coupe on the road, but certain I made the right decision. This was 2yrs ago now, so it's stood the test of a little time, and find myself lusting only for a Cayman (as a 2nd car I can't possibly afford today).

[Audi S4 Avant / A5 / TT / A3, Saab 93 Aero wagon, Volvo V50R / C30, MkV R32, Jetta Sportwagen TDI, C350, 328 Coupe&wagon, 135/335, GTI]

V33DUB

I had a deposit on Golf R for almost a year but the hype fade away after waiting so long. I took a Mini Cooper Coupe JCW for a test drive and was ready to order one. Also considered 2012 STI but too many piston failure stories. Finally, my VW dealer got me a pretty nice deal on a 2012 GTI.

Brum85

Passed Driver's Ed
My top 5 cars when I bought in 2010 were

GTI
WRX
Used S4
Used M3
Civic SI

I'm happy with the GTI.

I didn't want the potential maintenance costs of the S4 and M3 hanging over my head since it was going to be my daily.

The SI lost out because in the end, I didn't want to deal with DC metro traffic with a manual and I was kinda over Honda.

The WRX was really close, but the interior couldn't compete with the GTI. Loved that car though.

JRide

Ready to race!
The typical competition: WRX, STi, MS3, SI.
WRX, Legacy GT

What year Legacy? My wife had a 11 2.5 GT up until yesterday when we sold it. She never really fell in love with it so it had to go. To be honest... I'm a big Subaru fan but that car just didn't do it for me either. The shifter was too notchy and you'd have to almost force it into gear on cold days and the suspension was terrible. Very floaty mid corner. My other gripe with the car was the interior layout. It doesn't hold a candle to the VW's.

Next up for her is a MINI Countryman S All4. :)

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
Lingering problems w/ the Mini weighed heavily on my mind...

found this on their facebook page today.

MINI has issued a worldwide recall for the Electric Auxiliary Coolant Pump on some 2007-2011 MINI models equipped with turbocharged engines (Cooper S and John Cooper Works). NHTSA was notified of the recall, and the information has been published on their website (NHTSA.gov). Customers with further questions may contact MINI USA Customer Relations at mini.assistance@askminiusa.com, or call 1-866-ASK-MINI (866-275-6464).

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
STI was my first choice, G37 sedan was my 2nd. GTI was my third. I never thought I would get a FWD car, but I have other priorities in life so I set for the GTI. I'm happy with it. Still never had a chance to testdrive the STI though.

Funny how many people here want an STI =]

Tireiron Mike

Ready to race!
Mini Cooper S (Banged my head getting in, killed that choice off real quick)
MazdaSpeed3 (hit traffic, hated 1st gear)
VW Jetta TDI with an old Mazda Miata. Kinda of regretting not picking this up. But insurance rates in Philly are insane.

SRT2GTI

Banned
STI was my first choice, G37 sedan was my 2nd. GTI was my third. I never thought I would get a FWD car, but I have other priorities in life so I set for the GTI. I'm happy with it. Still never had a chance to testdrive the STI though.

Funny how many people here want an STI =]

I had actually purchased my STi, then the dealership decided to jerk me around with fake ETA dates. I decided to give VW a shot at stealing some business away from Subaru. I received a very good deal on a 2012 Autobahn. I ended up cancelling the STi while I was signing the papers for the GTI. The STi's ringland failures scared me away as well.

vdubstep59

Ready to race!
'10 RX8 R3 - sold the day I went to buy it wtf
'08 135i Sport, fully loaded - amazing car, no idea why I didn't try to negotiate better price...
'11 speed3 - didn't like interior, but still a regret
'11 Countryman S all4 - wayy too much money for the package
Actually ordered a custom '12 C30 R-design (my Neon's brakes went out and had to get something very quickly) and I actually regret this decision SOOO much!

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Volvo C30

True dat. I also looked at the C30, but two doors was too impractical.

However, I like the fact that you can buy an ECU flasher from IPD and transform the C30 into a totally different car.