GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Evo 8/9 fast as hell?

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
Conversations of which car is nicer or which you would rather (while true) have is moot. Lining up next to an EVO 8/9 is asking for an ass whooping no matter what you are driving, and people buying EVO's dont give a hoot how 'nice' someone thinks their car is, they bought it to kick ass. lol...

Ive been fortunate enough to win all my EVO grudge fests thus far, but its only a matter of time and the last one to 145 was pretty f-ing close. I only got him by about 1/3 of a car from 50....the biggest turbo Ive run into with EVO's has been the FP Green, which in the grand scheme of things for them isn't that big.

the thing that is so deceptive about EVO's is that you can pull up to one at a light that runs 12's or it could run 9's. They all pretty much sound the same :lol: Subaru's are a bit easier, because while over all a much better car, the motors arent decked from the factory and have weak pistons, (heads dont flow as well either) so going over 400awhp means putting new slugs in...which on a flat 4 configuration with the valve covers kissing the frame rails becomes an expensive proposition.

Lots of the EVO/STI crowd are running e85 fuel tunes also, so for full bolt on/cam'd evo 9 getting AWHP in the upper 300's on the stock turbo isn't unheard of. Shoot, a 09+ WRX stage 2 tuned to run e85 has over 400lb/ft and about 350awhp available from 3500ish to 7k. Its a beast of a power curve.

Still, I would certainly concede that you can get a much nicer used Audi/BMW instead of a new Subaru/Evo if you were inclined, and there is something to be said for that. Ive walked 2 e92 M3's on the highway, and having driven one I would have gladly traded keys given the opportunity! :D

But in the scope of racing, the 4g63/EVO platform will demand you respect it.
JMS' 'Machine' NSFW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U7AS1NupNQ

Last edited:

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
HAHA no joke, it was almost that fast..but what is that thing modded with?

I would guess a 35R or 40R...based on the sound of the turbo altering the atmospheric pressure of the surrounding environment during spool up. :lol:

Dont get me wrong, I like 'nicer' cars myself. I like leather, and heated seats, quiet rides, and nice sounding stereos. but if you dont give a crap about all that and just want to go fast, the EVO isn't a bad option.

KurtP1

Go Kart Champion
definitely not that big...that car looks to be around mid 400whp area...probably something like a gt30 equivalent on a stock bottom end:thumbsup:

Could be a GT30 on meth or e85 running higher boost....Id bet money its not a 30r on straight pump though.....still, my youtube watchers havent been calibrated by dynojet in a while so you could be right :p

Last edited:

Stifun

Ready to race!
Evo's are the real deal! Can be made fast with very few mods and a good tune.

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
Ran with a modded Evo 9 MR the other day on the highway. I 100% knew I didn't have a chance but it was fun. That thing was fucking fast.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
Too bad 90% of the evos in UT run 13s and 14s in the 1/4 mile hahaha.