GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Top speed stock gti 2.0?

XZT123

Ready to race!
Turbos don't like high elevation because the air is thinner.

I understand that turbo charged cars don't like high elevations but I would think it would just get there a little slower correct me if I'm wrong here

This is completely the opposite guys. Turbo charged cars handle elevation better than NA cars. It's compressing the air to a set level. It may hurt spooling time and will effect it some, but not that bad.

From wikipedia " General Electric engineer Sanford Alexander Moss attached a turbo to a V12 Liberty aircraft engine. The engine was tested at Pikes Peak in Colorado at 14,000 ft (4,300 m) to demonstrate that it could eliminate the power loss usually experienced in internal combustion engines as a result of reduced air pressure and density at high altitude"

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
For American cars are governed our at 121mph

Yes they are. Ive been on the autobahn at 195kmph = 121.2mph It will not do more-my car 2012 6sp. This on a flat stretch of the A-81, cool day, dry.

Euro spec data:
GTI 1,984 cc (121 cu in) I4 (CCZA) 210 PS (154 kW; 207 hp) @ 5,300-6,200 280 N·m (207 lb·ft) @ 1,700-5,200 / 0-100kph@6.9s
Top speed 240 km/h (149 mph)

C4L

Banned
Yes they are. Ive been on the autobahn at 195kmph = 121.2mph It will not do more-my car 2012 6sp. This on a flat stretch of the A-81, cool day, dry.

Euro spec data:
GTI 1,984 cc (121 cu in) I4 (CCZA) 210 PS (154 kW; 207 hp) @ 5,300-6,200 280 N·m (207 lb·ft) @ 1,700-5,200 / 0-100kph@6.9s
Top speed 240 km/h (149 mph)

They are NOT governed at 121mph in the US...

It is widely published that the governor for the 2.0T cars is 129mph...

XZT123

Ready to race!
:laugh: my top speed is 100 MPH but I'm rollin' on 22" s

JK :attention_whore:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion

Come drive mine on the Autobahn and see for yourself. I did this for an entire weekend up and back to Wolfsburg. Sorry to disappoint. Like it matters anyway. If you tune it the governor is off anyway.

Post the data to support your claim. I have looked tonight online and its not readily available. I found the Euro data quite easily. My car is exactly as zakmak posted. I had my foot to the floor 195/197kmph. Not 1mph/km more would it do lol!

Last edited:

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion

Found this for the 2010 GTI--------

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/10/2010-vw-gti-mkvi-us-spec-model-priced.html

"With the standard six-speed manual transmission, the U.S.-spec 2010 GTI can go from 0 to 60 mph (96km/h) in 6.8 seconds and on to an electronically limited 130mph (209km/h) top speed while delivering an EPA-estimated 31mpg on the highway, and 21mpg in city driving."

Found this: http://myfastgti.com/volkswagen/threads/5590-Speed-limiter
120 for this guy.

Last edited:

Swayse

Fastest I've seen was 122, that's all, limited.

serge1

Ready to race!
The computer controled top speed is 130 mph.

So VW says. It's actually less than that.

It seems that most of GTIs fall between 122-125 mph.

Come drive mine on the Autobahn and see for yourself. I did this for an entire weekend up and back to Wolfsburg. Sorry to disappoint. Like it matters anyway. If you tune it the governor is off anyway.

Post the data to support your claim. I have looked tonight online and its not readily available. I found the Euro data quite easily. My car is exactly as zakmak posted. I had my foot to the floor 195/197kmph. Not 1mph/km more would it do lol!

^This

I've done several top speed tests on the Autobahn using two GPS devices, before and after the APR tune. When the car was stock, top speed was 125 mph/201 kmh (121 mph/195 kmh @ speedometer -yes, my GTI reads lower than its actual speed-).
After APR Stage-1, I achieved 162 mph/260 kmh going downhill (real speed). Top speed on a perfectly flat road is 155 mph/250 kmh.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
132mph(on MFD) is where mine was limited OEM. Certain of this, I hit it a few times.

Still need to test stage 1 max speed :p

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Mine will probably never see anything above 85 haha. Unless I can get on a racetrack and exceed that.

79 for me, 80 or 20 over is deemed reckless driving. So for the rest of you, have fun, but don't complain about tickets or how much you pay for insurance.:)

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion

That would be about 118 to 120 mph, which is probably pretty accurate.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
This is completely the opposite guys. Turbo charged cars handle elevation better than NA cars. It's compressing the air to a set level. It may hurt spooling time and will effect it some, but not that bad.

From wikipedia " General Electric engineer Sanford Alexander Moss attached a turbo to a V12 Liberty aircraft engine. The engine was tested at Pikes Peak in Colorado at 14,000 ft (4,300 m) to demonstrate that it could eliminate the power loss usually experienced in internal combustion engines as a result of reduced air pressure and density at high altitude"

While this is definitely accurate, it is only true while the turbo still has the capability to compress the air. Going to high elevation changes where you land on the compressor map, and in this specific example the turbo was probably sized specifically for elevation compensation.

With a stock tune, the IHI turbo operates with sufficient margin from surge and choke that the ECU can probably offer similar manifold pressure and airflow regardless of elevation.

Since a stage 1/2 tune runs pretty close to the surge and choke limits of the IHI turbo at sea level, increasing elevation only pushes the operating point closer to those limits, so a Stage 1 tuned car may lose a non-trivial amount of power as the ECU keeps the turbo away from the surge/choke limits. However, I do agree that it would still make more power than a 2.0 N/A car at elevation.

booini

Passed Driver's Ed
For American cars are governed our at 121mph

I hit 121 twice on a recent road trip - both times it didn't feel like it had much more to give me (stock) so didn't see any sense pushing it more...

Lucky for me I got stopped/ticket for 92, not 121!

TomMcD

Ready to race!
"With the standard six-speed manual transmission, the U.S.-spec 2010 GTI can go from 0 to 60 mph (96km/h) in 6.8 seconds and on to an electronically limited 130mph (209km/h) top speed while delivering an EPA-estimated 31mpg on the highway, and 21mpg in city driving."

I don't know but I'm fairly certain I won't be getting 31mpg at 130mph on the highway, or even 21mpg at 209kph in the city. :iono:

Keizerjohn

79 for me, 80 or 20 over is deemed reckless driving. So for the rest of you, have fun, but don't complain about tickets or how much you pay for insurance.:)

The speed limit in Arizona is 75. Take a trip there sometime and have some real fun!