GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mid-muffler or Resonator?

TallSkinnyMatt

Hey Guys, I just picked up a GTI rear muffler (the guy cut it off for a muffler delete) for dirt cheap. Going to install it on my 2.5L to get the dual exhaust look. While i'm getting that welded on, was thinking about deleting either the mid-muffler or the resonator. I am looking for just a bit more noise, but not rasp. What do you guys think would be the best option?

nature boy

Ready to race!
i got a full mk5 gti exhaust put in, mostly for the smoother bends and larger diameter, and i removed the resonator while i was at it. when i first drove off, i hated the sound. raspy af and way too loud. but after about a week it got better, not sure if because i got used to it or the exhaust itself got dirty and muffled the noise a bit more.

i don't have experience in removing the mid muffler, but i seem to recall that most people leave that one in and debate between the resonator and the suitcase muffler. what i actually would suggest now that i think about it is replace the resonator with a high flow one. i remember people talking about that and happy with the results.

good luck

TallSkinnyMatt

i got a full mk5 gti exhaust put in, mostly for the smoother bends and larger diameter, and i removed the resonator while i was at it. when i first drove off, i hated the sound. raspy af and way too loud. but after about a week it got better, not sure if because i got used to it or the exhaust itself got dirty and muffled the noise a bit more.

i don't have experience in removing the mid muffler, but i seem to recall that most people leave that one in and debate between the resonator and the suitcase muffler. what i actually would suggest now that i think about it is replace the resonator with a high flow one. i remember people talking about that and happy with the results.

good luck

Thanks for all the info! I'm heading to the exhaust shop this Thursday and will do some experimenting. I am welding in the GTI suitcase and I'll replace the mid-muffler with a straight pipe. If I'm not happy with the sound, I will just re-install the mid-muffler :thumbsup: I'll see if I can get some videos of with and without the mid-muffler installed!

TallSkinnyMatt

So I deleted the mid-muffler... and I liked it for about 1 hour. It's way to loud and drones pretty bad when punching it. Going to re-install it next week. Considering removing the front resonator, but this "cheap project" is already costing me more than I thought :(

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
So I deleted the mid-muffler... and I liked it for about 1 hour. It's way to loud and drones pretty bad when punching it. Going to re-install it next week. Considering removing the front resonator, but this "cheap project" is already costing me more than I thought :(
Matt, I'm in the same boat, I have the stock mid muffle with GTI axleback Suitcase muffler, I like the quiet but my son who is a way at University the majority of the year wants a bit more sound but not raspy.

I came across this tread in the 2.0t forum, it may be the answer that everyone can live with, and may sound great with the resonance of the 2.5. I'm looking at putting a valve where the cut out is.
https://youtu.be/s_AA4nP8sxQ

Thoughts ?

Last edited: