GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cobb Accessport VS Unitronic Connect+

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
unless it has changed from when i looked, COBB does not support a different intake than a COBB one. Main reason I went with Unitronic stage 1 because I have a different cold air intake.
well you would be wrong. They offer stock maf maps direct from cobb.

Plus as stated above if you buy cobb you should go through stratified or another pro-dealer and get one of their flash tunes along with it. We recommend stratified because we all have them and if you buy the cobb AP from them they will give you their flash tune at no charge right now.

MattyMacMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
oh okay. I just remember asking COBB if their tune would work with my intake and they told me no. So, thank you for the correcting me and them I guess haha. I mean for me it doesn't matter now because I went a different, but I appreciate the info

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
oh okay. I just remember asking COBB if their tune would work with my intake and they told me no. So, thank you for the correcting me and them I guess haha. I mean for me it doesn't matter now because I went a different, but I appreciate the info
it used to not. When did you ask them this question? They released stock maf maps maybe 6 months ago.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
I'm still torn on which tuning way to proceed...I'm not a fan of the whole
Cobb cai/apr carbino closed off look, I'd prefer an open intake and cts is having a sale...now when it comes to tuning a friend of mine went unitronic stage 2 with no dsg tune and he blew his trasmission out, I'm afriad of going cobb and getting a stage 2 flash since I see they dont have any dsg tunes, is it safer for a dsg gti to just get a uni/apr tune and a dsg tune? Ir if anyone can shed more light as to how the cobb/strafied flash wont negatively affect my dsg that could help my worried mind (as i also dont have the most knowledge when it comes to tuning, just starting to look/learn about it now

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I'm still torn on which tuning way to proceed...I'm not a fan of the whole
Cobb cai/apr carbino closed off look, I'd prefer an open intake and cts is having a sale...now when it comes to tuning a friend of mine went unitronic stage 2 with no dsg tune and he blew his trasmission out, I'm afriad of going cobb and getting a stage 2 flash since I see they dont have any dsg tunes, is it safer for a dsg gti to just get a uni/apr tune and a dsg tune? Ir if anyone can shed more light as to how the cobb/strafied flash wont negatively affect my dsg that could help my worried mind (as i also dont have the most knowledge when it comes to tuning, just starting to look/learn about it now
DSG is generally safe for anything bellow a k04. Its odd your friends transmission blew on stage 2 tune. I have not seen that happen before.

Im currently COBB stratified flash tune(equivalent of stage 2) with no DSG tune and i have no problems so far.. i have put probably 2k miles since my tune. (i dont drive much so thats roughly 4-5 months of driving for me. Also i use the CTS intake with my stratified tune.

You can get a cobb accessport and stratified tune and then choose a "low torque" file if you are that worried about the transmission. You wont get as much power but you will be "safer".

You dont need a DSG tune. Most DSG tunes(APR,Unitronic,etc large name brands) do not adjust clamping pressure they just adjust when it shifts so a dsg tune wont make your DSG safer. I suppose if you wanted to go the safest you could buy the APR clutch back and get upgraded DSG clutch discs throughout. I think those are rated at like 500hp. That being said your friend with the blown transmission is still in the minority for a stage 2 tune.

Laimface

Ready to race!
DSG is generally safe for anything bellow a k04. Its odd your friends transmission blew on stage 2 tune. I have not seen that happen before.

Im currently COBB stratified flash tune(equivalent of stage 2) with no DSG tune and i have no problems so far.. i have put probably 2k miles since my tune. (i dont drive much so thats roughly 4-5 months of driving for me. Also i use the CTS intake with my stratified tune.

You can get a cobb accessport and stratified tune and then choose a "low torque" file if you are that worried about the transmission. You wont get as much power but you will be "safer".

You dont need a DSG tune. Most DSG tunes(APR,Unitronic,etc large name brands) do not adjust clamping pressure they just adjust when it shifts so a dsg tune wont make your DSG safer. I suppose if you wanted to go the safest you could buy the APR clutch back and get upgraded DSG clutch discs throughout. I think those are rated at like 500hp. That being said your friend with the blown transmission is still in the minority for a stage 2 tune.

Yeah very rare for a DSG box to shit its guts. It's usually the mechatronics unit that fails. A friend who's a VW dealer tech has replaced more mech units than anything else on DSG boxes. Also timing chain tensioners lol.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
I know the DSG isn't "required" but a high quality DSG tune (HPA or APR) turns the transmission into an entirely different animal. It doesn't just raise the torque limit...the whole behavior of the trans is altered (in D, S and Manual mode). It makes the stock DSG look like a slushbox in comparison.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
Thanks for all the information and clarification guys, this helped clear my worries lol...what I'll endup doing is going cobb/strat tune, get the bonus of having an AP and a tune specified for what I have on my car at the time...eventually I might then just look into a dsg tune to add on and retuned etc etc down the line

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks for all the information and clarification guys, this helped clear my worries lol...what I'll endup doing is going cobb/strat tune, get the bonus of having an AP and a tune specified for what I have on my car at the time...eventually I might then just look into a dsg tune to add on and retuned etc etc down the line
yeah. supposedly cobb is in the idea of working on DSG tunes so if you want to hold out they may be offering those in the future if not just get any DSG tune you want they do not need to be paired with the same companies ECU tune.

JayJayTheJetPlane

Ready to race!
yeah. supposedly cobb is in the idea of working on DSG tunes so if you want to hold out they may be offering those in the future if not just get any DSG tune you want they do not need to be paired with the same companies ECU tune.

Right, that is exactly what I'm going to do...if cobb happens to make a dsg tune by the time I'm ready for it then bam perfect! If not ill just look elsewhere and get it from another company, again thanks for the info and clarifying lilonespaz :clap: