GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon Buildup 101

Jared32

Ready to race!
97000 miles not sure if it was ever done before I bought it though. I bought it with 60,000 on it.

Sent from my iPhone 7 Plus

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
I ran a can of the CRC through the intake behind the MAF sensor and followed the overly-complicated instructions exactly. My 2012 only has 49k miles and I haven't yet experienced any symptoms so it may be placebo but I believe my car idles just a bit smoother afterwards.

I did throw a turbo underboost code (can't remember but I think it was P032) but I cleared it and everything seems fine. If I were to do it again, I'd definitely spray closer to the throttle body. Good luck!

I've considered this product before, but I'd rather not inject liquid solvent pre-turbo. Liquid hitting the blades of the turbo has been known to cause damage, that was probably the cause of your temporary underboost condition. I wonder it it would do any good to inject it in the intake temperature sensor port on the intake manifold or somewhere else before the throttle body?

Cadubya

Autocross Newbie
I've considered this product before, but I'd rather not inject liquid solvent pre-turbo. Liquid hitting the blades of the turbo has been known to cause damage, that was probably the cause of your temporary underboost condition. I wonder it it would do any good to inject it in the intake temperature sensor port on the intake manifold or somewhere else before the throttle body?

It's fine. Liquid oil vapors get flung at it all the time from the pcv tube into the intake pre-turbo and from rain at highway speeds. And this solvent is injected at short bursts at 2000 rpms with the car parked, not under load at high rpms.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I'm thinking of injecting up by the manifold so it's more direct onto the valves and not have to go through the turbo and intercooler. I bought a 6 ft long vacuum hose so I can sit in the driver seat and control the throttle while I spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Well I just finished doing the carbon clean myself... I don't think it's a job I want to ever do again lol..

Before pics

After pics

I know it isn't perfect but it's better than it was. It was my first job of this size and depth.

Nice work! The Humble Mechanic gave a nice tip to take a wad of zip ties to scrape out the ports as well.

Jared32

Ready to race!
Nice work! The Humble Mechanic gave a nice tip to take a wad of zip ties to scrape out the ports as well.

Thanks! I never thought of that. That would work good I would think..

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! I never thought of that. That would work good I would think..

Yeah, I think it would do a good job as well since it's a softer material and not have to worry about damaging the valves from scraping with a metal tool. He said another service technician did that and worked quite well. This is still a project I would never want to tackle!

Jared32

Ready to race!
Yeah, I think it would do a good job as well since it's a softer material and not have to worry about damaging the valves from scraping with a metal tool. He said another service technician did that and worked quite well. This is still a project I would never want to tackle!

Yea it is quite extensive lol and I think the valves are made of pretty hard steel lol... at least I couldn't do too much..

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Great find! I've thought about getting a cheap bore scope as well to do the same thing he did. Anyway, today I went to Advance Auto Parts and purchased little over 6 feet of 1/4" vacuum hose. Sunday I plan on doing some driving later morning to get it warmed up. Once I get back, I'm going to take out the sensor in the throttle body and plug it with the hose and then route by the driver side. There the nozzle is attached to the can so I won't have to worry about it getting sucked into the engine. When all the seated in the hose it will prevent any major leak and hopefully shouldn't stall the car. This way I'll be able to spray the CRC in the increments in the instructions and keep the throttle at around 2000 RPM until it's empty. Then I'll let it sit for the hour. I have a good 35-45 minute drive to a buddies house and will be at high way speed so should clear things out fairly well since the engine will get nice and hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I ran it through as stated above with zero issue. First time doing it and I must say it's a little difficult to keep the RPMS steady. Smoked a little, but I must say wasn't a lot. I guess it's not like seafoam in at aspect. Maybe I just don't have much to clean off to begin with?

FriggenT1

Banned
I ran it through as stated above with zero issue. First time doing it and I must say it's a little difficult to keep the RPMS steady. Smoked a little, but I must say wasn't a lot. I guess it's not like seafoam in at aspect. Maybe I just don't have much to clean off to begin with?

I used the crc cleaner as well...used a broomstick, kept the rpms around 2700. I did shorter bursts like 5-10 seconds max. I also changed the oil and added gum out gas and oil additive. 1oz per qt of oil. The rest in the gas tank. The car feels good though and the p2188 code I had is now gone. The stuff doesn't smoke though...it likely helps get the oil out of the intake tract I would think.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I used the crc cleaner as well...used a broomstick, kept the rpms around 2700. I did shorter bursts like 5-10 seconds max. I also changed the oil and added gum out gas and oil additive. 1oz per qt of oil. The rest in the gas tank. The car feels good though and the p2188 code I had is now gone. The stuff doesn't smoke though...it likely helps get the oil out of the intake tract I would think.

Just had to one-up me didn't you! Lol. Glad it worked out for you. I wonder if another round would be beneficial at all. I've been thinking about it. I feel my car idles a little smoother now.

FriggenT1

Banned
Just had to one-up me didn't you! Lol. Glad it worked out for you. I wonder if another round would be beneficial at all. I've been thinking about it. I feel my car idles a little smoother now.

I'm not going to say it worked miracles because I also replaced the clamp at the throttle body.

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
I did my cars first carbon cleaning at 83k miles over the weekend, surprisingly the car had very little build up. Looks like once a day WOT does keep carbon away.

Even with the minimal build up gone the car feels much more smoother when revving the engine, and cold starts are quieter and more smooth now. Even removing minimal build up makes a difference. I used CRC valve cleaner to soak the carbon before blasting the valves with walnuts, this CRC stuff make the build up so soft and easy to remove.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05319-Intake-Valve-Cleaner/dp/B00PHNQKR2