GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EONON GA5153F Review

DELETE

Autocross Champion
notovicrious, as herburger mentioned, not all the APPs can be installed in a SD card, thanks, it depends on the APP characteristics itself. Thanks.
We never use Google translator, sorry if our English is not as native as you guys. Hope at least there's no barrier for understanding. Maybe you could teach us more if you like. LOL. Thanks.

Well that's news to me, thanks for finally telling me that. I wonder if you would have ever came up with that without Herburger?

Cute but I'm done with you fools and your games. Thanks for the cheap headunit it's at least serving its purpose until I get a real one.

DELETE

Autocross Champion
It seems in Android, not all apps can be installed to SD card directly. On my unit, I can only move "some" apps to the Internal SD storage which is 12gb - I can only do this after installing an app from the Play Store into the Internal Storage (1GB). The rest of the flash space is taken up by the OS and other files.

It's all good, this thing like all other Chinese products, is just for now. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

DELETE

Autocross Champion
"CHINESE MADE STEREOS and ANDROID STEREOS: We are now seeing a plethora of Chinese made car stereo products showing up in the marketplace. The Eonon is one of a couple of Android-based options for BMW E46 owners. I've evaluated these options myself to eliminate the "Business CD" radio in my own E46, and what I find in my research is that users tend to have many issues with them.

Now, I really like the factory appearance of these units, and that they are specifically designed to look right in the E46 dash. That is a very attractive element, no doubt. But, these radios start at over $400 and go to the $900 range, and even still, I see many guys complaining about all sorts of technical issues with them on this forum.

So, to help others here make sense of what these Android radios are all about, I want to discuss these Chinese-made stereos with Android operating systems, so you understand them better.

Android-based radios may seem really cool to have, but may be more trouble than they are worth. Most offer Bluetooth, DVD and CD playback, flash memory playback, as well as your AM/FM. However, in general, you may be giving up other areas such as: build quality, technology, sound quality, features, technical support, compatible accessories, incompatibility with your phone, confusing menus, inconsistent volume control, no HD radio reception, no provision for XM Sat tuner connection, lack of proper inputs or outputs, lack of internal crossovers or decent equalization controls, and poor shielding that leads to alternator whine and electrical noise problems. Some models even show Chinese characters in your settings menus!

In addition to the many problems listed above, these Android-based stereos have other problems to consider. Basically, these are nothing more than an Android tablet in the window dressing of a car stereo housing.

Being Android-based sounds great at first, but that also translates into LONGGGG startup times. Most Android radios take at least 30 seconds to boot up EVERY time you start the car. So, that means for 30 seconds after you crank up, you won't see your backup camera image, you won't hear any music, you'll just be waiting while the Android boot screen sits there and spins. If you don't think 30 seconds is a long time, try living with that EVERY time you start the car! Even if you manage to root the operating system, you might only decrease the start time to 20 seconds. By comparison, most major manufacturer's car stereo head units boot up in 2 to 5 seconds!

Having wi-fi connectivity and being able to run apps sounds like a cool thing, but it's not without its problems. First, your cellular provider will want to dip their fingers into your wallet every month for the privilege of sending data to your car. And, you'll need a lot of data, because you'll be streaming EVERYTHING through your wi-fi connection. Do you ever drive in areas on the highway or out in the country where you have flaky cell service? Yeah, you'll be getting long periods of dropouts on your music listening too while you drive.

And, few if any Android radios have any provision for XM sat radio, much less a proper Gen 3 round connector on the back to plug in an XM tuner module. So, if you like your XM, you'll have to stream that through your cell provider too, and be paying for more data every month.

And, as mentioned above, you won't be getting any HD radio broadcasts either, because none of these units offer that feature. HD radio is becoming more and more prevalent in larger markets, and is vastly improved over FM radio with CD quality sound, album art and artist info displayed on your screen, iTunes tagging, and many other cool features.

Also, Android-based apps may seem like a neat thing to have in your dashboard, but most of these apps are not designed for an automotive environment (i.e. with large button surfaces, simplified controls, or other means to reduce driving distraction). They usually have settings and features buried in menus with tiny letters that are hard to see while driving, and fussy to use when you're trying to dodge 18 wheelers on the highway! Distracted driving is a HUGE problem for drivers these days, and a good aftermarket head unit is designed for the car environment to reduce driving distraction and give you ONLY the features you need while driving with easy to see controls.

Another huge issue for Android devices is operating system updates and bug fixes! Many of these cheap Android products are only running older versions of Android such as Ice Cream Sandwich or Kit Kat. And, their manufacturers tend to be somewhat "fly-by-night", and may or may not be around very long in the future. Many seem like big companies, but are actually nothing more than back-alley shops where their tech support only speaks broken English at best. So, don't look for a great customer support experience, or prompt attention to your technical issues! And, don't look for fast bug-fixes when their stuff doesn't work!

The other problem with some (not all) Chinese gear is a very obvious lack of quality control, fit and finish, and durability. Many have horrible internal shielding, so you are picking up buzzing and whining from electrical components in the car, and RF or radio frequency fields being generated. So this can really hurt your listening experience.

SUMMARY
After reviewing all this, I have decided to go with a double-din head unit from one of the major manufacturers, and install it with an inexpensive E46 dash kit ($20 or so). For the same or less money as an Eonon, I'll have a head unit that does what the Eonon doesn't offer - fast startup time, XM sat radio through the touchscreen with a compatible tuner, better smartphone integration, and literally every other feature the Eonon offers.

I feel it's far better to go with a major manufacturer such as Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, Kenwood, etc. These companies have a strong support network, are staffed by people who were BORN ON THIS CONTINENT, speak ENGLISH, and provide quality products that are built for the automotive environment from the ground up.

Sure, it's not as "elegant" or OEM looking as the Eonon, but I won't have to wait 30 seconds for the damned thing to boot up every time I start the car, and my XM sat will work great too.

The old saying, "You get what you pay for" has never been more true than in the world of car stereo components, and never more so than this day and time. I'm not saying ALL of this gear is bad, but some of it has issues that you won't realize until you've unboxed it, wired it up, and bolted it down into your dashboard.

I'm sure many might disagree with my ideas here, and that's okay. I'm just putting them forth to help others if possible."

- Random BMW Forum User

Russellvw21

Ready to race!
Sure they have there niggles but once u get use to some an fix others u love them.. I have the previous gen an current gen model an i loved both... I have 3 other friends who have them installed... Again.. They love theres.. So yea... The eonon radio is much like vw.... Hate an love relationship lol. With some hating and a lot loving.. But i get ur grievances... But i am happy with my unit.. With a few niggles. $300 for radio. Bluetooth. Wifi. Gps . maps. Dvd . unlimited google play maps . spotify . netflix. YouTube... I cant seem to live without one... Bad english and all....

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

MeanGreenGTI

Ready to race!
Well what happened up in here lol. I still like my headunit guys and minus the already known issue of the aux adapter I still after what it's been 2 years now no issues. Thing boots up perfectly, there's a setting so that only after I think the max is 2 or 3 hours will you have to wait that 30 second boot timer so mess with that. I'm sure not everyone is so upset about this radio. and after 60 pages of questions and information there really is nothing left out that should come by surprise. Thanks notovicrious for putting time into that review of yours good or bad it is welcome. And I'm sure it will help others thats what the vw community is about. Thanks to everyone else who has commented or brought up issues, or just plain old asked about the unit. I've purely enjoyed mine and for the price and what it does I'm happy with it.

dcarlson01

I am about to get a subwoofer installed.Will I be able to go through the head unit to turn the sub off(in case a baby is in the car). I have not found anything that leads me to believe that I would be able to

dcarlson01

now that's a good question. I dont belive you will be able to shut the sub off via the headunit

yeah that's what I am thinking... You would think it would have an on/off option. A lot of things I like about the unit, but that would be a bummer if something so simple isn't there

EononCarDVD

Go Kart Champion
I am about to get a subwoofer installed.Will I be able to go through the head unit to turn the sub off(in case a baby is in the car). I have not found anything that leads me to believe that I would be able to

Hi dcarlson01, currently our GA7153 Android 6.0 unit can't support to turn on/off the subwoofer, but you can adjust the sub volume on our unit, thanks!

EononCarDVD

Go Kart Champion
A great news for the guys in Europe, as we have a Huge Clearance Sale on our UK website with up to 52% OFF discount! It's for EU customers ONLY! You can see our GA6153F Android 5.1 VW navigation with DVD function & GA6153W without DVD function are also here for you to save: :thumbup:
Eonon UK Clearance Sale with Up to 52% off on Hot Android Car GPS

And by adding 10GBP/EUR more, you can get our hot A0119 camera or R0008 Dashcam! Most affordable ever! :thumbsup: Just get the deal before it's gone! :D