GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

N80 Evap Purge Valve Replacment

interweb42

Passed Driver's Ed
2012 GTI 2.0 tsi CBFA engine
Got a check fuel cap light for a day went away then a CEL comes on.
Scanned with VAGCOM, cleared a P0445 (EVAP Large leak detected)
Cleared the fault, within a few days the cycle repeated.
My gas cap looks fine, so I'm assuming its the N80 valve as I was not aware it is bad to top off the fuel on these cars. (unless I messed something up, installing a stage 2 APR intake, connections all looked fine though) I can also hear a constant ticking from the N80 valve if I put my ear close to it, so I think its a good place to start.

The OEM part number that is installed is 06h906517h
https://parts.vw.com/vwparts/?searchText=06h+906+517h&action=searchAllCatalogs
Does anyone know if there is a newer revision of this valve.
I'm not seeing one with this part number on ECS's site, or any other site for that matter.

Thanks!

NeoSA1

Ready to race!
I know that N80 purge valve is a massive culprit but it's usually associated with error code P0441. However, I would say it's worth replacing it since it's VERY easy to do and comparatively inexpensive.

interweb42

Passed Driver's Ed
This is the exact vagcom code

Address 01: Engine Labels: 06J-907-115-CBF.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 907 115 AT HW: 1K0 907 115 AK
Component and/or Version: 2.0l R4/4V TFSI 0010
Software Coding: 0403010818070160
Work Shop Code: WSC 01357 011 00200
VCID: 78D118CB0B557BFE6E-802C
1 Fault Found:

001109 - EVAP System
P0455 - 000 - Large Leak Detected - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 0
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 37884 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.09.21
Time: 12:31:46

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2119 /min
Load: 11.4 %
Speed: 42.0 km/h
Temperature: 69.0°C
Temperature: 21.0°C
Absolute Pres.: 990.0 mbar
Voltage: 14.097 V

Readiness: 0000 0000

interweb42

Passed Driver's Ed
So I got this reply when I ordered the part today from the Dealer.

"Unfortunately the part number you entered is not available as a replacement part, in order to replace the purge valve on your vehicle you require the hose set with the integral purge valve. The part number of what you're looking for is 06J-133-781-CE, you're also going to need to pull your intake manifold in order to remove the assembly"

Which would explain why I was having so much trouble finding it. It really sucks that you need to pull the Intake manifold to change this simple part, unless I just cut the hoses...idk what i'm gonna do at this point.

Last night I also ran a vagcom basic output test 70 for evap purge valve and was getting an error for the status of the valve.

interweb42

Passed Driver's Ed
That purge valve doesn't match the same OEM part # I think on the MK6 the valve is attached to the hose on the right side, doesn't seem like it would slide on and off without a lot off effort. This really sucks because technically you would need to remove the entire intake manifold to get at where the one hose connects, although I was getting ready to try with really long pliers or something.

But anyways, last week I got the parts including this purge valve:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/Emissions/ES2644257/

Just for giggles I tried just replacing the gas cap, figure i'd start with the easiest thing first, and cleared the code. Its been at least 6 days and hasn't come back, so i'm assuming that was the culprit!

damonrlloyd

Passed Driver's Ed
same problem. dealer quoted ~$500

So I got this reply when I ordered the part today from the Dealer.

"Unfortunately the part number you entered is not available as a replacement part, in order to replace the purge valve on your vehicle you require the hose set with the integral purge valve. The part number of what you're looking for is 06J-133-781-CE, you're also going to need to pull your intake manifold in order to remove the assembly"

Which would explain why I was having so much trouble finding it. It really sucks that you need to pull the Intake manifold to change this simple part, unless I just cut the hoses...idk what i'm gonna do at this point.

Last night I also ran a vagcom basic output test 70 for evap purge valve and was getting an error for the status of the valve.

How did the installation go? I got a P0456 code. Turns out my N80 doesn't hold vacuum and needs to be replaced. i found the part on DAP for $95 and now have to go about putting it in. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

GibbyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
How did the installation go? I got a P0456 code. Turns out my N80 doesn't hold vacuum and needs to be replaced. i found the part on DAP for $95 and now have to go about putting it in. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Are you having any symptoms other than the check engine light?

damonrlloyd

Passed Driver's Ed

It wasn't impossible without pulling the intake manifold, but it did take some time "weaving" the assembly through the assorted hoses and connectors. It was sort of like a grown up version of Operation. Extra long needle nose pliers help.