GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clicking when turning steering wheel

07STitoR

Ready to race!
So I've been getting a click on the steering wheel when turning lock to lock. It used to have a thump in it that you can hear and feel in the cabin coming from the center console in the transmission tunnel. Anyone know what this is? I don't want to bring it back to the dealer again since they already replaced my whole power steering rack, They said it would've cost 4 grand if I wasn't under warranty. You can hear the click at 14 and 27 seconds and turn your volume up to hear. I guess the sound is similar to the sound of the AC clutch turning on.

http://youtu.be/RSvUv2-KskY

Last edited:

wbean

attention whore
1) axle
2) heatshield from bad downpipe
3) endlinks.

07STitoR

Ready to race!
1) Can axles make clicking sounds when I'm not in motion?
2) Does not sound like heat shields
3) Dealer tightened endlinks but maybe they're over tightened? They tightened a couple of other things too.

07STitoR

Ready to race!
Holy hell $210 for some bolts!? What the rape. Can it be subframe bolts? I only have 17k miles and it only clicks once when I turn it to lock turning left.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
clearly subframe shifting. especially since you just had a rack installed and they were messing with everything.

JT641

Banned
Holy hell $210 for some bolts!? What the rape. Can it be subframe bolts? I only have 17k miles and it only clicks once when I turn it to lock turning left.

There's a saying "You Get What You Pay For" If you look at it you'll see that it's more than just some bolts, The ARP Bolts along with those "Specially Machined Retainers" are what holds the subframe securely in place. If you search you'll realize how good of a product it is & Also that the Subframe bolts should be replaced each time you drop the subframe.

Look at this and you'll see exactly what it does http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48759&highlight=Tyrol+Sport

bebersol

Ready to race!
So the click I hear when stepping on the brakes in reverse, is this also the sub-frame shifting? I though I had a loose caliper bolt

07STitoR

Ready to race!
So the click I hear when stepping on the brakes in reverse, is this also the sub-frame shifting? I though I had a loose caliper bolt

Thats just the pads reseating.

For the sub frame would it be bad if I leave it? How do I go about telling the dealer to change my sub frame bolts? Say to look up a TSB for sub frame bolts or something? Did you guys notice anything with the Tyrol bolts? Besides from no more clunking.

Last edited:

dopoz

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats just the pads reseating.

For the sub frame would it be bad if I leave it? How do I go about telling the dealer to change my sub frame bolts? Say to look up a TSB for sub frame bolts or something? Did you guys notice anything with the Tyrol bolts? Besides from no more clunking.

The Tyrolsport kit locks the subframe in place, which prevents it being shifted to the sides to adjust cross-camber in the front -- this is the only front camber adjustment available in our cars. This only matters if your suspension is a little bent and imperfect, since minor corrections aren't possible any more.

07STitoR

Ready to race!
I guess I'll give tyrol a call to get these installed I mean it can't hurt right? Hopefully its my subframe clicking and I can get this resolved as my dealer has no idea. Can it be anything else clicking under there?

JT641

Banned
I guess I'll give tyrol a call to get these installed I mean it can't hurt right? Hopefully its my subframe clicking and I can get this resolved as my dealer has no idea. Can it be anything else clicking under there?

There's no guarantee this will do it, But it most likely will & also you'll want to replace all of the subframe stretch bolts as well (always do this each time you remove the subframe)

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Suspension/Subframe/Front/ES2594692/

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Thank the car gods! It's fixed! Also that ecs kit doesn't have all the bolts and some you don't need.

it'll come back over time.. those bolts have no centering ability. only way to solve that is the Tyrolsport collar kit.