GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Considering buying MK6R Clutch/PP/Flywheel

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, I just went K04 and my clutch is slipping like hell. I can't get it to not slip in any gear above 3rd. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th in RPM it will slip like crazy. So I am looking for new clutch options and I could get my hands on a used R Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel for pennies on the dollar. So my question is are you guys experiencing bad clutch problems when tuned/bolted? What's the general consensus about MK6R clutches? Would it be a good idea to pair the TTRS pressure plate with the R clutch and flywheel? Thanks in advance

tjasko

Go Kart Champion
I'm replacing the clutch in my R with a Southbend Stage II daily kit as it's starting to slip (53k miles), so I'd personally say no. I'm sure the R clutch is stronger than the GTIs, but if you have a K04, I'd upgrade the clutch. Hope some other R owners will chip in. :)

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
That's not a smart move man... R clutches experience slipping as well once tuned--and they are using the same turbo as a lot of the guys on the GTIs.

If you're going to spend the money, do it right the first time.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the advice guys. The issue is that I'm able to pick up the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel for $150 all together. Compared to $1,000+ Kits. So it's a killer deal, just trying to figure out if its gonna be worth dropping a ton of money on it.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Thanks for the advice guys. The issue is that I'm able to pick up the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel for $150 all together. Compared to $1,000+ Kits. So it's a killer deal, just trying to figure out if its gonna be worth dropping a ton of money on it.

youre going to lose out paying for labor twice after the R clutch craps itself in a month.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Ok, and you're going to spend ~$4-500 in labor and then have to do it all over again because its slipping again. BTW, the R clutch will have to be slightly modified to fit the TSI motor.

youre going to lose out paying for labor twice after the R clutch craps itself in a month.
2x

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I'll be doing the work myself so labor isn't a factor (Obviously I don't want to be wasting time, but it won't cost any money to do). I'm on the FSI motor so it will bolt right up. Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
So little update guys. Firstly thanks for all the input so far. I got a hold of the Golf R clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel yesterday. It is the Sachs version which I'm pretty sure that's the one to have. I've decided to pick one component to try to beef up the setup enough to safely hold K04 power. What I have decided to try is to use a up-rated Sachs SRE disk with the Golf R Pressure plate and Flywheel. Here is the disk in question... http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....-disc-for-6-speed-02q-dual-mass-flywheel.html

Do you guys think this will work? In the end if it does fit then it will have OEM drive-ability, low noise, and good enough holding power for less than $500 total.

Last edited:

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
The weakest link in the Stock Golf R setup is the pressure plate. The disk was fine. You could put a sand paper disk in there and the pressure plate that came out of mine wouldn't have held.

It is the clamping force that is lacking so much. The RSR disk is nearly the same material as the stock golf r one and holds a ton more torque. because the clamping of the PP is so much greater.

So little update guys. Firstly thanks for all the input so far. I got a hold of the Golf R clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel yesterday. It is the Sachs version which I'm pretty sure that's the one to have. I've decided to pick one component to try to beef up the setup enough to safely hold K04 power. What I have decided to try is to use a up-rated Sachs SRE disk with the Golf R Pressure plate and Flywheel. Here is the disk in question... http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....-disc-for-6-speed-02q-dual-mass-flywheel.html

Do you guys think this will work? In the end if it does fit then it will have OEM drive-ability, low noise, and good enough holding power for less than $500 total.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
The weakest link in the Stock Golf R setup is the pressure plate. The disk was fine. You could put a sand paper disk in there and the pressure plate that came out of mine wouldn't have held.

It is the clamping force that is lacking so much. The RSR disk is nearly the same material as the stock golf r one and holds a ton more torque. because the clamping of the PP is so much greater.

That's what I was thinking in the first place. By that basis the better move would be pressure plate. How does this look? I should be able to use that which is 390tq capable with the Golf R clutch and flywheel if I'm correct. (http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....plate-for-6-speed-02q-dual-mass-flywheel.html)