GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

12 Golf R w/ stock downpipe...does this limit boost capability?

91a2jettavr6

I'll be adding both an APR downpipe and intake in a week or so. In the meantime, my question is this: will having a stock downpipe prevent boost from building beyond a certain level? If so, what would that level be (roughly)? I set my stage 2 loaded tune to 28 (I do have a HPFP installed) as I am experimenting and my boost gauge, which does work properly, shows 24-25 max at WOT and 20 vacuum at idle, just as it should. Anyway, is the restrictive nature of the stock downpipe preventing boost from building beyond this point? Can I expect an automatic increase once I've installed the aforementioned APR goodies? Thanks guys :) .

radplaid

What I was explained at the performance shop here that did my car was, once the downpipe is installed you can expect your power band to start at a lower rpm and an increase in torque. 15-20 hp gain to be expected, but not necessarily pushing any more boost than what you are currently reporting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91a2jettavr6

What I was explained at the performance shop here that did my car was, once the downpipe is installed you can expect your power band to start at a lower rpm and an increase in torque. 15-20 hp gain to be expected, but not necessarily pushing any more boost than what you are currently reporting.

Ok, thanks for the response. So...if my boost gauge (South Performance) appears to be working normally and the car runs well and pulls HARD, what else would explain the 3-4lb deviation from the 28lb set point of my tune?

keihin

You've got both stock intake and outlet restrictions, and likely a fuel restriction as well. It sounds like your software may be pulling you back from a potential overboost/lean condition.

91a2jettavr6

You've got both stock intake and outlet restrictions, and likely a fuel restriction as well. It sounds like your software may be pulling you back from a potential overboost/lean condition.

Why would I have a fuel restriction with an APR HPFP given that it is all that is required (from a fueling standpoint) to run my stage 2 tune?

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
stage 1+ requires JUST the HPFP upgrade. you shouldn't have stage 2+ software until you have the downpipe/exhaust/whatever you're doing. and it's a gain of 25whp and 43tq, according to the APR website (going from 1+ to 2+)

thegave

Ready to race!

Boost pressure is simply a measure of restriction. Higher boost doesn't necessarily mean higher power.

91a2jettavr6

stage 1+ requires JUST the HPFP upgrade. you shouldn't have stage 2+ software until you have the downpipe/exhaust/whatever you're doing. and it's a gain of 25whp and 43tq, according to the APR website (going from 1+ to 2+)

Actually, stage 2 (** United Motorsports) is comprised of their stage 2 tune and an HPFP...nothing else. Stage 1 didn't require the pump upgrade...only the stage 1 tune. There was no stage 1+ option. Stage 2+ (from what I understand) will be after I've installed the APR downpipe.

vizzlebizzle

Passed Driver's Ed
oh true. yeah, i don't know anything about UM tunes. i hear they're nice though. saw you using APR parts and thought you had the tune, too. my b. i didn't know UM had any tunes beyond stage 2 (other than bt stage 3)

91a2jettavr6

oh true. yeah, i don't know anything about UM tunes. i hear they're nice though. saw you using APR parts and thought you had the tune, too. my b. i didn't know UM had any tunes beyond stage 2 (other than bt stage 3)

They really don't but I've decided to tell myself I'll have a stage 2+. Ahhh...I love denial.