GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 2+ (KO4) - How Unitronic Fixed My Ongoing Issues

allset

Go Kart Champion
This was a great read!
Nice job Paul!
Thx
I tried to do it in a way that focused on the tech issues not the industry issues that lead to bashing

Turbo Beetle

Ready to race!
Paul,

Thanks for your time and effort to document your APR K04 software issues. I am currently APR stage II and have been considering going K04 but on this forum and others I have seen too many issues with the K04 & APR software combination.

I hate to throw away the money I have already spent on APR software but to upgrade to APR K04 software for an additional $300 would be insane. Reviewing all the issues you and others have had with the K04 APR software makes the additional cost of starting over with new software from another tuner look like the best bargain anyone has ever mentioned.

While reading the back and forth from you and APR it almost seem like they were trying to bait you or get you to go over the edge and respond in a non professional way and then using that to discredit you and your issues.

IMO you should be commended for your restraint from going BALLISTIC!!! considering the bogus responses you have had to deal with coming from APR. Thanks again for saving me and hopefully others from the APR K04 software nightmare you went through.

Last edited:

allset

Go Kart Champion
Paul,

Thanks for your time and effort to document your APR K04 software issues. I am currently APR stage II and have been considering going K04 but on this forum and others I have seen too many issues with the K04 & APR software combination.

I hate to throw away the money I have already spent on APR software but to upgrade to APR K04 software for an additional $300 would be insane. Reviewing all the issues you and others have had with the K04 APR software makes the additional cost of starting over with new software from another tuner look like the best bargain anyone has ever mentioned.

While reading the back and forth from you and APR it almost seem like they were trying to bait you or get you to go over the edge and respond in a non professional way and then using that to discredit you and your issues.

IMO you should be commended for your restraint from going BALLISTIC!!! considering the bogus responses you have had to deal with coming from APR. Thanks again for saving me and hopefully others from the APR K04 software nightmare you went through.

:thumbsup:

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I'm trying really hard to repeat this oscillation situation and if anyone thinks they have it, I'd really appreciate if they would stop in and show it to us (if local).

About a year ago we did update several maps to fix an issue we spotted on some ECUs. On some, N75 duty cycle would drop in and out at boost onset while going wide open throttle. Once update (a single bit changed in the code), everything was fine. I can easily check to make this update was applied to anyone experiencing the issue.

Other than that, moments after the flash, I can see a situation where everything wouldn't be perfect. Slight variations from car to car could lead to some differences. Right after the first start all adaption data is cleared and usually the engines cooled down. This will mean some items, like the O2 sensor, are not active till they warm up. Usually when I hear someone saying "I just got chipped and it feels funny" it goes away after only a couple miles behind the wheel.

Anyways, back on to the oscillation, I tried to repeat it in a car we had here just this morning. The car has 90k miles, 6MT, stock plugs, stock coilpacks, stock catback, stock intercooler. It has a DXD clutch, APR K04, APR Stage 2 Carbonio intake, APR Downpipe. He's running on production 93 octane software and he changes his oil. That's about it!

I drove the car up and down the highway trying various throttle positions in multiple gears trying to reproduce the oscillation, but I could not get it to happen. I had a theory some people were "thinking" they felt an issue because their gauges were moving around, so I installed a gauge and went back out again. I had the same results. I put my foot down a little and I'm up to 0 boost on the gauge. I go a little more and can hold evenly at 5 PSI. More, 10psi, more throttle and I'm up to 15PSI. If I go wide open throttle I'm a little above 20psi and I taper towards redline. There was no over and undershooting or oscillation like some have described. I simply could not get it to happen at all no matter how hard I tried.

So, back on point, if someone really has an issue like this, by all means, mark my words, I would want to fix it if it was something on our end. Please, if you have any issues and are near APR, please come in and we'll work with you to diagnose it, because as is, we are not able to repeat the behavior on our own vehicles.

Arin, were you able to repeat these issues and resolve them?

ncampos976

Ready to race!
i have this exact issue, i have been in contact with apr, on my second ECU, still having same issue as the OP described, so far im a stopping point " waiting on the engineers". i have logs also. my check engine light came on the other day for misfires, waiting for the new software update and hopefully that fixes it, if that does not fix my concern i will also be switching software company's.

allset

Go Kart Champion
My mk6 is parted out and back to semi stock for sale
so I have no horse in this race but MK6 is a dead platform
All tuners have been working on mk7
How much new stuff did u see come out for the mk5 after the mk6 was released ?
HW or SW?
This is my opinion take it or leave it

WetMoney

Go Kart Champion
My mk6 is parted out and back to semi stock for sale
so I have no horse in this race but MK6 is a dead platform
All tuners have been working on mk7
How much new stuff did u see come out for the mk5 after the mk6 was released ?
HW or SW?
This is my opinion take it or leave it

Oh snap! :eek:

allset

Go Kart Champion

Lol wat?

I'm just saying I can't see these tuners dumping $ into research and development for a platform that is ending
MK7 is where it's at and the race has been on for a while
No prize for second place

skotcoop

Ready to race!
So I've had a similar misfire experience since going stage 2 as well. I haven't done the hardware changes that you have other than plugs and coils but all of my misfires occur at idle. Never under load according to PolarFIS. I get the most misfires after starting the car when its already warm. I had over 70 misfires counted in cylinder 3 in under a minute of starting staying at idle. Which happens to vary between 550-850 rpm sometimes. I will do this test again but I did try putting the car back to stock mode and it ran smooth and misfire free from a cold start during a 7 mile trip to work. I'm currently running APR's latest stage 2 file and have been emailing them back and forth to try and nail down this issue. I think cylinder 3 is the primary issue but I am getting misfires in all 4 with the random/multiple code being thrown as well as codes for each cyl. The car currently has 27k miles and has new red tops and NGK BKR7EIX gapped to 0.024 as recommended by APR. I tried mentioning software to my local shop but nobody is currently having the same issue I am but I cant imagine any other reason why stock mode would run fine. But who knows. Hows yours still running Allset?

EastKingZ

Ready to race!
His last post was 2014 and he sold his car. He also said MK6 was a dead platform :lol:

skotcoop

Ready to race!
His last post was 2014 and he sold his car. He also said MK6 was a dead platform :lol:
Yeah I just read his post about selling and see he drives an S5 now lol. It'll never die.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Holy shit .024 and you still get misfires?
Have you tried moving a coil pack to a different cylinder to see if it follows?