GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18x8.5 et35 with ~ 1.5" drop

BHJunior

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello my favorite internet society.

So i just picked up a set of Roti's (IND-t Black machined 18x8.5 et35) *Example pictures will be below* however I am having a hard time deciding on tire size. The reason this is giving me trouble is because I plan to run koni str.ts and h&r supersports in the near future with this wheel set up. I understand the offset of 35 is pretty aggressive, and I know that the drop of those springs/shocks will be roughly 1.4-1.5 inches or so front and back. I am curious to know if anyone has experience with a similar wheel width and drop and if they could shed some light on their argument for what would be the best tire size for myself. Thank you all for the help!!

Ps. Yes i have searched a lot but the information I've read has been mixed so i figured Id ask for myself to see what responses I can find

Also Ps. I know that cast Roti's are anchors but i love the design so i am just going to run them for a little while before I get annoyed and want something light (Prob neuspeed rse52)

SirClimax

Ready to race!
I had koni yellows with H&R SS springs with VMR V701 18x8.5 et35 with 225/40/18 tires and you will need a fender roll/pull for them to fit.

BHJunior

Passed Driver's Ed
I had koni yellows with H&R SS springs with VMR V701 18x8.5 et35 with 225/40/18 tires and you will need a fender roll/pull for them to fit.

Alright, I'm not completely opposed to doing that. Definitely something I will do before switching over my suspension though I don't want to see my fenders turn to bacon. Did you happen to do both of those yourself?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
ET45 would've been the right offset to bolt them on & go (fender screw mod at the most), while looking nice

ET35 is gonna need some work, like he said.
Just make sure you know what you're doing when rolling the fenders or having someone else that knows what they're doing do it

BHJunior

Passed Driver's Ed
ET45 would've been the right offset to bolt them on & go (fender screw mod at the most), while looking nice

ET35 is gonna need some work, like he said.

Just make sure you know what you're doing when rolling the fenders or having someone else that knows what they're doing do it

Appreciate the info. So do you think with fender screw mod and rolling the fenders I'll be alright? Also any recommendation as far as tire width? Was thinking I would stick to 225s (obviously 40mm sidewall too keep OEM ratio). Or do I need wider than that for the wider rim? Or size down to 215 to get a little more room to avoid rubbing and slightly stretch? Also considering just saving up and going coils to have the ability to change camber and more options with height. Too many options [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BHJunior

Passed Driver's Ed
Forgot to mention - contacted a local shop that is supposed to do some of the best work in my area for fender rolling and they quoted me 70$ a corner. Not really looking to drop 280$ just to get fenders rolled so might need to try to find someone near the Philadelphia area with some experience that would be willing to lend a hand for less.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
You're creating a lot of extra work & possible extra costs (as you found out) with this offset
Wider tires would NOT help
215 would give you more clearance, but then you'd have more fender gap because of the shorter sidewall defeating the purpose of lowering with the springs

Like I said, ET45 would've just bolted right on with some 225/40/18 tires

Good luck man

BHJunior

Passed Driver's Ed
You're creating a lot of extra work & possible extra costs (as you found out) with this offset

Wider tires would NOT help

215 would give you more clearance, but then you'd have more fender gap because of the shorter sidewall defeating the purpose of lowering with the springs

Like I said, ET45 would've just bolted right on with some 225/40/18 tires

Good luck man

Thank you sir! Might say eff it and run them at stock height for a little while and figure out if going through all the trouble for that rim is worth it for me; if not then I'll trade for something else.

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Alright, I'm not completely opposed to doing that. Definitely something I will do before switching over my suspension though I don't want to see my fenders turn to bacon. Did you happen to do both of those yourself?
I did not do it myself. There is a guy named Tony that does it for under $100 total and he did a great job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

BHJunior

Passed Driver's Ed
I did not do it myself. There is a guy named Tony that does it for under $100 total and he did a great job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Where is said 'Tony' located out of? Thank you!