GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM   #7729
notovicrious
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: 2011 GTi 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybastard View Post
ohhhhh this might do the trick. ill have to confirm that the muffler is baffled but good eye on the price too.

Iím pretty sure it is because I had a Rattle in my old one and it could only have been coming from inside the muffler. I narrowed it down and with a new catback the sound was gone. Insane good price. I paid like $1800 for my tbe. Lol
notovicrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #7730
Phur
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
The Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobst View Post
Think about this, the wheels are connected. When accelerating, they are both asked to increase rate of revolutions equally.
Now imagine a turn. One wheel covers way more ground. This is where a differential comes into play, and allows you to make turns because the two wheels are able to act independently somewhat.
But if you are going too fast, the wheel on the inside of the turn will start to slip. This is where the traction issue comes from. When there is slip detected, power is cut from both wheels. That is also why people buy limited slip differential. Power is removed from slipping wheel but other wheel can still power. So that the other wheel helps you get through the turn. This is why lsd is mostly a corner enhancer.

My answer is simplified some, so I would suggest looking up car differentials, open, closed, and limited slip

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes, but we have XDS which utilizes the ABS system to act as a computerized LSD.

At least that is my understanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM   #7731
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phur View Post
Yes, but we have XDS which utilizes the ABS system to act as a computerized LSD.

At least that is my understanding.

Right, so it tries to use the brakes some to compensate, but due to the open differential, it will never be the same as a true lsd.

Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #7732
Phur
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2013 VW GTI Autobahn
I agree itís aiming for the same end result just in a different way which is simply less effective.

Phur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM   #7733
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
An lsd was probably the best thing I've done to my car.

jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:14 PM   #7734
gijoewoz
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiCoyote View Post
When I accelerate hard from stopped at an angle, like if I'm pulling out of a driveway or merging into traffic while turning, the front wheels spin and the traction control light blinks. Is this a function of FWD? Do AWD cars have this problem too?
This is one of the biggest drawbacks to this car in my opinion. Power and fwd is a strange combo. I came from an impreza RS, not a fast car, but awd, and a lot of fun to drive. I could downshift in a corner and step on it, I got a lot traction and a big smile. If I do the same in the GTI I get wheel spin and dirty looks, haha. I'm falling in love with the GTI, but the front wheel drive in it simply cannot compete with Subaru's awd.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:41 PM   #7735
jay745
Mod Flanders

Drives: 2013 CW GTI Wolfsburg (racecar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
This is one of the biggest drawbacks to this car in my opinion. Power and fwd is a strange combo. I came from an impreza RS, not a fast car, but awd, and a lot of fun to drive. I could downshift in a corner and step on it, I got a lot traction and a big smile. If I do the same in the GTI I get wheel spin and dirty looks, haha. I'm falling in love with the GTI, but the front wheel drive in it simply cannot compete with Subaru's awd.
an lsd and some suspension goodies go a long way in the gti. An anti lift/caster kit for the control arms is next on your list!
jay745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:42 PM   #7736
BoostedVW11
GolfMK6 Elite

Drives: 2003 Subaru Wrx Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay745 View Post
an lsd and some suspension goodies go a long way in the gti. An anti lift/caster kit for the control arms is next on your list!
115% this^

completely changes the car

chyeah
BoostedVW11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #7737
gijoewoz
Go Kart Champion

Drives: 2005 Impreza RS
Quote:
It might be necessary, thanks for suggestions. I have to admit that with as on/off as the throttle is, and the front wheel drive setup in this car, cornering isn't nearly as much fun as my slow 165 hp impreza was. It's tricky to go quickly in the GTI, it's either not fast enough, or wheel spinning boy racer, getting the throttle balanced is really tricky in the corners and takes away from the fun of driving it a bit. I'll probably never track this car, and I don't drive it irresponsibly on the road, but fixing this issue would go a long ways in making more fun day to day.
gijoewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:55 PM   #7738
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoewoz View Post
It might be necessary, thanks for suggestions. I have to admit that with as on/off as the throttle is, and the front wheel drive setup in this car, cornering isn't nearly as much fun as my slow 165 hp impreza was. It's tricky to go quickly in the GTI, it's either not fast enough, or wheel spinning boy racer, getting the throttle balanced is really tricky in the corners and takes away from the fun of driving it a bit. I'll probably never track this car, and I don't drive it irresponsibly on the road, but fixing this issue would go a long ways in making more fun day to day.

What kind of tires are you running? Also best bang for buck mod.

2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #7739
DASVDUB
Formula 3000 Champion

Drives: Basic GTI, loud exhaust
Quote:

W.A.L.K. kit is next for me.

2dr 2011 Candy White GTI|APR Stage 2|Godspeed catless dp|Borla catback|Carbonio Stage 1 & 2|Forge Diverter Valve|H&R Super Sports|Koni Orange Struts & Shocks|R8 Coils|NGK BKR7EIX Plugs|Soundaktor delete|20% tint|Mud Flaps|Tiguan H&R lift springs (winter)
DASVDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:14 PM   #7740
brobst
Formula 5000 Champion

Drives: CSG mk6 6MT
I have all those mods and yes it makes a difference.
Alk
Lsd
Sways
Coils

Superior interior is like 500hp at the wheels doe
brobst is online now   Reply With Quote