GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > DIY Guides and Discussions

Old 06-13-2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Drivers Air bag removal!

Can some one point me in the direction of an airbag removal DIY please, it appears that the push down single wipe action on my wiper stalk has failed and I wish to replace the stalk (unless someone knows of a different reason why this may not be working?) all the other wiper positions work just fine! I'm fine with replacing the stalk but I'm a little worried I may activate the airbag in the process as I've never dealt with removing them before, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #2
Pooley
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW GTI Autobahn
Go to this page, partway down the page are two links for installation instructions for aftermarket shift paddles. Both are the same basic instructions, just different product. The photos show a Mk5 but the procedure is the same and the written portion of the instructions tells you info for Mk6 models including what fuse to pull beforehand so you don't set off the airbag.

https://www.doubleapex.co/pages/vw-dsg-paddle-install

I removed my airbag when I installed these shift paddles and it wasn't difficult, just two tabs on the back side of the wheel. You just need to turn the wheel sideways for each tab so the tab faces top for access.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Pooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
Carlosfandango
FIA World Rally Car Champion

Drives: 2010 MK6 GTI 6MT CSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooley View Post
Go to this page, partway down the page are two links for installation instructions for aftermarket shift paddles. Both are the same basic instructions, just different product. The photos show a Mk5 but the procedure is the same and the written portion of the instructions tells you info for Mk6 models including what fuse to pull beforehand so you don't set off the airbag.

https://www.doubleapex.co/pages/vw-dsg-paddle-install

I removed my airbag when I installed these shift paddles and it wasn't difficult, just two tabs on the back side of the wheel. You just need to turn the wheel sideways for each tab so the tab faces top for access.

Good luck!

Thanks buddy! Great stuff, just what I was after, I had looked many times online but just couldn't find what I needed, as you've confirmed these instructions are correct I'll be much more confident whilst doing it, .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carlosfandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Pooley
Touring Car Newbie

Drives: 2011 CW GTI Autobahn
I don't remember having much trouble getting it to pop out since it is just two tabs. They can be tricky but not that bad. Hope you get your issue corrected!

Pooley is offline   Reply With Quote