GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much is Octane 91 in your place?

emk6

Ready to race!
I'm under the impression that all gas are the same octane rating wise. Would a difference in brand (Chevron, Shell, Arco, Costco, etc...) make a difference?

NEOHMark

Ready to race!
Most of the places don't even offer 91 in NE Ohio - though Sunoco might IIRC.

We're about $3.35 - $3.50 for 93, depending on how badly the powers-that-be want to screw us on any given day.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
I pay about 3.59 here in NC for 93 octane, it's about $0.30 less if I happen to make the trip a few miles down to South Carolina. I use any brand that's convenient, usually fill up at a Lowe's Foods by my office.

Larry70454

Ready to race!
I'm under the impression that all gas are the same octane rating wise. Would a difference in brand (Chevron, Shell, Arco, Costco, etc...) make a difference?

The only differences are the additives, Shell uses "Nitrogen-Enriched" and Chevron/Texaco use "Techron". Some other brands use their own additive, but nothing beats 100% real gas.

http://pure-gas.org/ - A list of gas stations that sell no-ethanol gasoline, it is updated regularly and you can add your own known gas stations to the list.

Krazy_Z

Go Kart Champion
I pay $0.99/Liter on base here. If I have to fill up off base I end up paying £1.30/Liter

Vesper

Ready to race!
Do I have to use 91? Can I use the one below?

emk6

Ready to race!
^ would suggest to use 91 or anything rated higher only and nothing less.

Larry70454

Ready to race!
Do I have to use 91? Can I use the one below?

Octane rating is the fuel's resistance to detonation. If you use a lower rated octane, you will increase your knock, reduce your gas mileage, reduce your power output, and cause engine as well as turbocharger damage. So no, you cannot use the one below.