GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Debating on getting a gti, someone help me!

intoflatlines

Drag Race Newbie
$6250 is crazy expensive for a 2002.. I'd be pissed if my dad "sold" me a car for that much..

I sold my 2001 GTI 1.8T with 125,000 miles on craigslist for $3800 (dealer and Carmax offered $3000). I probably could have gotten more from the right buyer but I was sick of coordinating meet ups with people that didn't seem to be serious buyers.

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
Jesus man, that's basically incest. Give your kid a break. :eek:

$6250 is crazy expensive for a 2002.. I'd be pissed if my dad "sold" me a car for that much..

I sold my 2001 GTI 1.8T with 125,000 miles on craigslist for $3800 (dealer and Carmax offered $3000). I probably could have gotten more from the right buyer but I was sick of coordinating meet ups with people that didn't seem to be serious buyers.
Well, I'll give it another look.

I was just using the Kelly Blue Book price, and still went several hundered below that. I thought I was being fair, but perhaps I entered the data wrong. :eek:

It is a very low mileage car at 58K and has new brakes and rotors, but again, I'll reconsider.

He's an adult that's living with me rent free, but that's not an excuse for charging him more than what's fair for the car.

Appreciate the comments. I only want to do the right thing by my son.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Are you kidding me bro? It has a body kit and 18's. Plus it has A/C and heated seats, you can sweat and be cool at the same time.

No, he's not kidding you bro...

The body kit takes away more value actually; that car the OP posted is worth $2000 tops...

pdykstra600

Go Kart Champion
Well, I'll give it another look.

I was just using the Kelly Blue Book price, and still went several hundered below that. I thought I was being fair, but perhaps I entered the data wrong. :eek:

It is a very low mileage car at 58K and has new brakes and rotors, but again, I'll reconsider.

He's an adult that's living with me rent free, but that's not an excuse for charging him more than what's fair for the car.

Appreciate the comments. I only want to do the right thing by my son.

Don't use Kelly Blue Book. Imo, it is not an accurate representation of actual market value on a vehicle. KBB is always too high. Use edmunds instead for a more accurate "real market" value on your car.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2002

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
Don't use Kelly Blue Book. Imo, it is not an accurate representation of actual market value on a vehicle. KBB is always too high. Use edmunds instead for a more accurate "real market" value on your car.

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/gti/2002
Took a look at edmunds, and it lists a price of $5,493. I'll knock that down to $5,000.

Looks like you guys saved my son $1250! That will be a nice little suprise for him when he wakes up later today. I feel better about it too. It was never my intention to screw him over, but it looks like I was doing so unintentionally.

pov

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like you guys saved my son $1250! That will be a nice little suprise for him when he wakes up later today. I feel better about it too. It was never my intention to screw him over, but it looks like I was doing so unintentionally.

It's none of my business but if your son can afford to buy a used car off you for 5K then shouldn't he be capable of affording his own apartment?

I imagine it's a lot tougher to bring chicks home when you live with you parents.

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
It's none of my business but if your son can afford to buy a used car off you for 5K then shouldn't he be capable of affording his own apartment?

I imagine it's a lot tougher to bring chicks home when you live with you parents.
It's too long of a story to tell in detail, but after years of getting himself in minor legal trouble (including a DUI) and moving around and trying to make it on his own, he finally decided to settle down and fly straight. He went without a drivers license for 5 years (his choice) he now has a job that pays $11 and hour; he got his license and insurance back, etc.

I think he figures if he lives here, he can at least get some decent wheels that will get him back and forth to work. I assume he'll then start saving for a place of his own.

He works off his "rent" by basically being my "man-slave". He does all of the yard work, cleaning, laundry, cooking, grocery shopping, etc. He doesn't bitch about it and realizes that he has to earn his keep.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

Haha, I can afford a 2012 GTI and I still live with my parents (moved back in post undergrad). I do pay them about $400 a month though. It is hard with chicks, but I'm trying to pay off my student loans ASAP and I save a lot on food, utilities, etc.

Plus, when you don't have anyone to live with, getting an apartment solo is pricey.

After all that, I would never pay my parents or some guy in Phoenix more than like $3-4k for a 2001 GTI with a hideous body kit.

Mr. Skinny

Ready to race!
Haha, I can afford a 2012 GTI and I still live with my parents (moved back in post undergrad). I do pay them about $400 a month though. It is hard with chicks, but I'm trying to pay off my student loans ASAP and I save a lot on food, utilities, etc.

Plus, when you don't have anyone to live with, getting an apartment solo is pricey.

After all that, I would never pay my parents or some guy in Phoenix more than like $3-4k for a 2001 GTI with a hideous body kit.
D Griff, it's not a bad deal for him living here. It's just the two of us. I work 0600 - 1500 and he works from approx. 1700 -approx 0200, so he can use the car until my '12 arrives in Jan.

And I should add that when he woke up at 1330 hrs I told him I was lowering the price on the car based on the discussion in this thread, he said "tell the GTI geeks on the forum "Thanks". :)

BTW, what's your undergrad degree in?

urfavoritemazn

Ready to race!
D Griff, it's not a bad deal for him living here. It's just the two of us. I work 0600 - 1500 and he works from approx. 1700 -approx 0200, so he can use the car until my '12 arrives in Jan.

And I should add that when he woke up at 1330 hrs I told him I was lowering the price on the car based on the discussion in this thread, he said "tell the GTI geeks on the forum "Thanks". :)

BTW, what's your undergrad degree in?

Military time reminds me of my dad. lol

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion

urfavoritemazn

Ready to race!
I work for the USAF. Got used to it after 29 years.

he was 20 years retired army. He was a hard ass and would never sell or buy a GTI. Your son is lucky. lol